Automotive Related, Please.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Anthony P.

Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

FS - 1990 Miata project car and lots of parts - SOLD

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Just a quick update to let everyone know the car is no longer available. Rick and Kevin Jung will have a nice project to do together!

I've finally moved into the new house and need to clear some space.

I have a 1990 Miata that would make a great project car for someone. The car is located at my house in central Orange County, near Tustin Ranch.

The good:
  • Full custom built exhaust system, header back. It sounds very nice, but if you want to extract as much weight as possible you'll want to eliminate the resonator... which then causes a very harsh exhaust note.
  • New brake lines, rotors, calipers and pads.
  • New control arms, including delrin bushings.
  • New Cibie Z-beam headlights and front running lights. Replaced the driver side headlamp motor.
  • 949 racing 6UL wheels (I was planning to set this up for STS.) The Dunlop tires should be replaced as they're > 5 years old.
  • New shift knob and shifter
  • "New" seats (in excellent shape, but used.)
  • If I recall correctly, Racing Beat tubular front sway bar. (I may not have installed this yet.)
  • New windshield. The old one was quite pitted from Toby's high-speed runs home to the desert. (Hi Toby!)
  • I have a huge rack of new and used parts that come with it. More on that a bit further down.
The bad:
  • The transmission was making a bit of... whine/whirring sounds. Even though it was fine on the street, I wouldn't want to push it hard. (Counterpoint: I purchased a used transmission to install, which comes with the car.)
  • The engine has high mileage. (Counterpoint: I have a ~1500 mile - that's not a typo - 1991 engine to be installed. It was pulled from the owner's car when he decided to install a Ford Mustang engine in 1991 about a month after he bought it. The downside to this engine is the head had been separated from it, so the engine is essentially a short block + separate head.)
The ugly:
  • Non-runner. I was hoping to drive it the 312' to the new house, but when I pushed the clutch down there was no resistance. Probably needs a new slave cylinder, but if you're already in there doing the motor and trans that really isn't a problem.
  • The car needs a new roof. Toby Larsson - who sold me the car - had installed Bill Schenker's 10AE roof on this car, including the glass window. To make it work, the entire roof frame was transferred as well. The roof has failed, with the window tearing out of the roof around the top and sides. A new roof ranges from about $350 - $800, depending on the type you want. Or maybe you don't want one if this is just for the track.
  • I have not registered the car, not even the non-runner fees. I believe the charge to bring the registration current is about $700, if you want to run it on the street, but that's reflected in the price.
Parts comments:
I have tons of parts for this, ranging from things you'll want to things you'll need. This includes "better" interior door panels and the parts that line the "roof storage tray", which are visible when the roof is up, as well as components to reassemble the new engine. I have an entire clutch and flywheel, for example (less either the pilot bearing or throw out bearing that Bill Schenker needed for an emergency repair a few years ago.) I have the rear shock mount adapters that provide the extra travel you want (I think they're from FatCat.) Pick your new shocks and springs, bolt 'em in with this at the rear and you should be good to go.

I don't want to part this out. I just don't have the time to do it, so I'm going to take the best offer from someone who wants to take the car, transmission, engine (I'll include the stand), head, and all the parts home with them. I'd like to get $1100 for it, which is less than I paid for the engine and transmission, let alone all the other parts that are already on the car or ready to go home with you.

This is a *screaming* deal for someone who is willing to work on the car themselves! Lemons car? STS? You make the call...

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have my cell phone number, or email me at m s i m a n y i (at) g m a i l (dot) com.

Mike
Last edited by Mike Simanyi on Mon May 09, 2016 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Adam Tarnoff
Club: CASOC
Car#: 49

Re: FS - 1990 Miata project car and lots of parts

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

Any pics?
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

Adam Tarnoff wrote:Any pics?
you need pics at $1100? buy it and if you don't like it sell it for a profit.
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

#SpecMiataStarterKit

Come on Mike you know that BMW is never going to move again, come out to the track and spend all your free time trying to keep a road race car in one piece - Toby and Morgan can give you lots of pointers. :lol:
Adam Tarnoff
Car#: 49

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

Marshall Grice wrote:
Adam Tarnoff wrote:Any pics?
you need pics at $1100? buy it and if you don't like it sell it for a profit.
Trying to get info for a friend. I don't have room for a 3rd car.
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
Stephen Strand
Car#: 519

Post by Stephen Strand »

If I could somehow sell my Lemons car before you get rid of this.... :x No one is biting though
Mediocre driver. #519 Focus ST. Lead mod for www.reddit.com/r/rallycross