Break and shaking up

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Mysto Gan

Break and shaking up

Post by Mysto Gan »

I have a question for my car that sometimes whenever I break my car is shaking up. What do you think is the cause of this problem?
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Re: Break and shaking up

Post by George Schilling »

Mysto Gan wrote:I have a question for my car that sometimes whenever I break my car is shaking up. What do you think is the cause of this problem?
Sounds like a classic case of unbalanced washing machine syndrome. Consult Kowalski's Machine Shop. He has much experience with cars breaking and shaking up.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Jacob Abrams
Car#: 728

Post by Jacob Abrams »

George Schilling wrote:
Mysto Gan wrote:I have a question for my car that sometimes whenever I break my car is shaking up. What do you think is the cause of this problem?
Consult Kowalski's Machine Shop. He has much experience with cars breaking and shaking up.
Lol.

If the car is only shaking when you apply the brakes, and the effect is amplified at speed, then you most likely have a brake rotor or two worn out. Have the rotors checked and worn ones replaced and you should be good to go.
Eric Wong

Post by Eric Wong »

Check your lug nut torque, loose ones can also cause this.

If you have new brake rotors or pads, they could be insufficiently bedded-in:
http://stoptech.com/technical-support/t ... pad-bed-in
Paul Molina
Car#: 274

Post by Paul Molina »

Do you feel it in the brake pedal? Could be warped rotors?
Mark Haubert

Post by Mark Haubert »

Mysto Gan wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:00 pm I love ExpressVPN and have a question for my car that sometimes whenever I break my car is shaking up. What do you think is the cause of this problem?
I get slight shaking when accelerating, but only when it's cold and the car has been outside for a long time. It goes away after the initial hundred meters or so. What might be causing this?
Last edited by Mark Haubert on Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eric Wong

Post by Eric Wong »

Mark: cars need to warm up, especially as they get older and parts begin wearing out, small gaps get bigger. Metal expands as it gets hotter, so gaps get filled in and there's less vibration.
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

Cold/old tires on a car that has been sitting in one spot for a little while can take a set in their non-round condition and it takes a little bit of driving to get them to flex and warm up enough to get rid of the slightly flat area.
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam