Bob Hempy
Club: GRA
Car#: 27

The Emporer Has No Clothes

Post by Bob Hempy »

POTOMAC WATCH
By KIMBERLEY A. STRASSEL

June 6, 2008;

Barack Obama has finally secured the Democratic Party's nomination. The question now for voters, and for Republican John McCain, is what have we learned over the past 16 months?

We've learned Mr. Obama is a gifted politician, with a knack for reading the public mood. His success came from tapping in, early, to the country's deep dissatisfaction with the political status quo, and orienting his campaign around a "change" message. Other presidential aspirants – Republican and Democrat – ultimately adopted a version of this tune. But they couldn't match what was by then a well-rehearsed Obama number.

AP
To GOP strategists' frustration, focus groups still show that many people don't know what Mr. Obama proposes policy-wise – and don't care. They are drawn to his promise to move past political business as usual. John "My Friends" McCain won't be able to match his rival's verbal mojo. He's instead going to have to counter with a compelling theme of his own. First, he'll have to find one.

We've learned Mr. Obama's political skills include an ability to adapt. When the controversy over Rev. Jeremiah Wright broke, Mr. Obama hemmed and hawed and guaranteed a long discussion. Last week, when another controversy burbled over another spiritual mentor, Father Michael Pfleger, the Democrat quickly condemned the priest, and for good measure quit his Chicago church.

We've learned Mr. Obama has crafted a new form of organization and fund raising, allowing him to outmaneuver and outspend Hillary Clinton. It's unclear how this machinery, which helped him particularly in grassroots caucuses, will translate into a general election. But he's already building on his infrastructure in key states as Mr. McCain ramps up his campaign.

This ought to have the GOP worried. Yet consider what else we've discovered.

We've learned Mr. Obama was so good at his message that we still don't know much about the man. It was March before the press excavated his longtime pastor, and only last week when it dug up Father Pfleger. Their ugly black-vs.-white preaching, deeply at odds with the candidate's transracial message, has left some voters wondering if Mr. Obama shares these views. It's left others suspicious he allied himself to these powerbrokers for Chicago political gain, but has now cynically thrown them over. Mr. Obama created these question marks for himself, and they're not going away before November. Mr. McCain need only watch.

We've learned that the Obama campaign's main message still has no clothes. The senator has had nearly a year-and-a-half to explain how his new brand of politics and bipartisanship would work; the optimists among us are still waiting. Quizzed on how he'd reach across the aisle, Mr. Obama likes to mention that he might, maybe, perhaps, possibly, if caught on a good day, negotiate on "merit pay" for teachers. That ought to soothe a fractured American soul. The Clinton campaign never hit him on this, since Mrs. Clinton herself had no pretenses toward bipartisanship. But if Republicans can't figure out a way to capitalize on this gap between the spin and substance, they'll deserve backrow seats at his inauguration.

We've learned Mr. Obama has a shifting definition of reform. He deplored big money in elections, but is now sitting on big money and backing out of a pledge to accept public financing. He rails against special interests, but supports bloated farm bills while he does union bidding on trade. One of Mr. McCain's strengths is his reputation for bucking interest groups; this is an opening.

We've learned that on domestic policy, Mr. Obama is as liberal as any Democratic nominee. But he's also a decent populist. He'll raise taxes, but promises to give back to middle-class voters. He'd like government-run health-care, but for now promises simply to help pay soaring private doctor's bills. He'll punish companies that take part in the global economy, but reward those who stay at home.

These "buts" make it harder for the GOP to pigeonhole Mr. Obama. Mr. McCain will also have a tough job explaining why his more purist conservative views – lower taxes for all, lower health-care costs for all, more trade – are better.

We've learned Mr. Obama's weak spot is, as expected, national security. His backpedaling on which dictators he'd engage is one example. His attacks on Mr. McCain for being inflexible on diplomacy, even as he inflexibly calls for troop withdrawals – no matter how great the Iraq success – is becoming another.

There is still one thing we don't know: whether Mr. Obama can take a hit. For all the primary bitterness, Mrs. Clinton worried (at least a little) that she'd offend Obama voters and so kept the gloves on. The Republicans will show no such restraint. Explosive as this primary has been, the summer will bring the real fireworks.

Write to kim@wsj.com
Bob Hempy
Club: GRA
Car#: 27

Re: The Emporer Has No Clothes

Post by Bob Hempy »

143 Days of Experience

Just how much Senate experience does Barack Obama have in terms of actual work days?

From the time Barack Obama was sworn in as a United State Senator, to the time he announced he was forming a Presidential exploratory committee, he logged 143 days of experience in the Senate. That's how many days the Senate was actually in session and working.

After 143 days of work experience, Obama believed he was ready to be Commander In Chief, Leader of the Free World, and fill the shoes of Abraham Lincoln, FDR, JFK and Ronald Reagan.

143 days -- I keep leftovers in my refrigerator longer than that.

In contrast, John McCain's 26 years in Congress, 22 years of military service including 1,966 days in captivity as a POW in Hanoi now seem more impressive than ever. At 71, John McCain may just be hitting his stride.
Think about IT!

Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

no matter how great the Iraq success
She had me up to here. I think all but the most ardent Bushies can agree, regardless of political affiliation, that Iraq has been a monumental cockup. There has been very little "success" in Iraq, and none of it was "great."
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

143 days -- I keep leftovers in my refrigerator longer than that
LOL. Remind me not to go near your fridge :o

Anyway, back to that first article, it's interesting to see the Repubs in the position of trying to define policy and the dems trying to avoid it. The last few elections, it seems like it's been the other way around. Of course, how could you do anything else with a wooden doll like Gore or a tool like Kerry? There's no style to try and ride.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Amazingly, the article doesn't say anything about his flip-flops. He has a habit of saying something one day and the complete opposite the next, but his supporters are not the least bit concerned. The man has become larger than life to them. Even his supporters argue about what he stands for. He has the amazing ability to make you think he's addressing your issues favorably no matter which side of the fence your on. He will be a formidable foe. I hope McCain can rise to the challenge.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

His success came from tapping in, early, to the country's deep dissatisfaction with the political status quo,
Like Kennedy, Reagan, Clinton.

Flip-flops George? How about Bob Barr?
George Schilling
Club Representative

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:Flip-flops George? How about Bob Barr?
I'm only concerned about someone who has a chance to be president. Bob Barr phtt.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Bob Beamesderfer

George Schilling wrote:
I'm only concerned about someone who has a chance to be president. Bob Barr phtt.
So no elected leader or potential elected leader should ever change his/her mind?
Bob Beamesderfer

He has the amazing ability to make you think he's addressing your issues favorably no matter which side of the fence your on.
Like Roosevelt, Kennedy, Reagan, Clinton.

I'd love to have a Truman-like candidate, but that's not the way the electoral process works anymore. We now have to like the person and hope they might stop some of the bucks they're supposed to.

The whole "he's a flip-flopper" thing is piss poor means of judging a candidate. It's as if no politician or candidate, regardless of party, have ever re-evaluated a position. In other words, it's bullshit.
George Schilling
Club Representative

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
George Schilling wrote:
So no elected leader or potential elected leader should ever change his/her mind?
I don't mind anyone changing their mind, but in the political area, it should be accompanied by reasoned thought as to why. Saying something on monday and saying the exact opposite on tuesday to cater to the audience is not changing ones mind, it's pandering. And we have to give him credit as Obama is very good at it.
Larry Andrews
Car#: 0
Location: In the Santa Cruz mtns, with two chainsaws and a beer.

Post by Larry Andrews »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZi6U811hxE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New Michelle Obama Tape: ‘GD You American Whitey’
Tom Tanquary
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 705

Post by Tom Tanquary »

I think this is worth noting....

Arch-conservative Bay Buchanan suggested that it may not matter what McCain does. Writing in Human Events on June 4, she declared:

In reality there is only one candidate. Barack Obama. In November he will win or he will lose. John McCain is relevant only in so far as he is not Barack Obama. The Senator from Arizona is incapable of energizing his party, brings no new people to the polls, and has a personality that is best kept under wraps

That is a pretty bold statement, coming from her. This will be interesting times to be sure.
[youtubeShortLink][/youtubeShortLink]"Our intelligence grew faster than our wisdom.... "
Bob Beamesderfer

Tom Tanquary wrote:I think this is worth noting....

Arch-conservative Bay Buchanan suggested that it may not matter what McCain does. Writing in Human Events on June 4, she declared:

In reality there is only one candidate. Barack Obama. In November he will win or he will lose. John McCain is relevant only in so far as he is not Barack Obama. The Senator from Arizona is incapable of energizing his party, brings no new people to the polls, and has a personality that is best kept under wraps

That is a pretty bold statement, coming from her. This will be interesting times to be sure.
Like her brother, she does not mince words.
George Schilling
Club Representative

Tom Tanquary wrote:I think this is worth noting....

I think she's right. Obama seems to be immune from just about everything. It seems there is a large contingency out there for whom the message of change is the end all be all in deciding how to vote. The flip flops don't seem to matter. They probably don't know where he stands on anything anyway. Hell, nobody else does.
:)
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

John McCain is a worthless asshole who will fill the void without killing us.

Barack Obama is an arrogant clueless child and a threat to the sovereignty of the United States of America.

The choice is yours.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Tom Tanquary wrote:has a personality that is best kept under wraps[/i].
And from what Tom tells me, he has first hand knowledge of this.
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Bob Beamesderfer

BTW, George, McCain is 5'7", an inch shorter than I am and I'm betting that was with lifts. He ain't as tall as you remember.
Reijo Silvennoinen
Car#: 60

Re: The Emperor Has No Clothes

Post by Reijo Silvennoinen »

Can someone correct the spelling on the title: "Emperor" is the correct spelling. Somehow it would make this discussion more easy to be taken seriously. :lol: On the other hand, maybe it's not meant to be serious! :P

Reijo
Reijo
BS - CASOC
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." - Earl Weaver
http://www.RASEInc.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Schilling
Club Representative

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:BTW, George, McCain is 5'7", an inch shorter than I am and I'm betting that was with lifts. He ain't as tall as you remember.
I met McCain in NYC back in '01. He was there campaigning for Bloomberg. I have a pic of he and I smiling and shaking hands. McCain's smile didn't last long. It quickly turned to disgust when I said to him, "If you ever decide to change parties, we have room in the Ruplican party for the right man." Man was he pissed. :D

But Steve's comentary in that previous post is dead on. I think the country can survive McCain. I'm not sure about Obama.
Reijo Silvennoinen

So.....the truth comes out!

Little did we know that it's George's fault that McCain is now the head of the Republican party and possibly the next President of the most powerful country in the world! }:)

:lol:

It's a small world, indeed. You can never underestimate the power of words/suggestion! :o
Reijo
Reijo
BS - CASOC
George Schilling
Club Representative

Reijo Silvennoinen wrote:So.....the truth comes out!

Little did we know that it's George's fault that McCain is now the head of the Republican party and possibly the next President of the most powerful country in the world! }:)

:lol:

It's a small world, indeed. You can never underestimate the power of words/suggestion! :o
Reijo
Actually Reijo, he is a life long Republican, hence the negative reaction. He was always the maveric of the party.

BTW Reijo, Fed Ex just paid me a visit and brought me some 275's. There an inch wider. Maybe we can compete now.
Reijo Silvennoinen

Actually Reijo, he is a life long Republican, hence the negative reaction. He was always the maveric of the party.

BTW Reijo, Fed Ex just paid me a visit and brought me some 275's. There an inch wider. Maybe we can compete now.

:D Ooooh......guess I didn't know that....being an alien and all. :mrgreen:

So, has he listened to your advice yet? Maybe he needs a reminder? Let me know if you plan to meet him, I'd like to see the reaction too! :lol:

275's eh? Going to try them this weekend? I'd like to compare them to the old size on the same course some day ... to see how much difference there is. Could be different results for different courses I suspect.

Reijo
Reijo
BS - CASOC
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

I wonder which candidate is more likely to prosecute Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld for war crimes at GTMO?
Bob Beamesderfer

Robert Puertas wrote:I wonder which candidate is more likely to prosecute Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld for war crimes at GTMO?
It should be the one who knows what war crimes are first hand, but I don't think his aging spine is strong enough.