Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Curt Luther
Club: PSCC
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Non racin' summer plans

Post by Curt Luther »

Havasu for a weekend in two weeks (glad I still have that Sea Doo in the garage)
HB for two weekends, including 4th of July weekend and a weekend while the kid is at camp in August :thumbup:
Oceanside for a weekend in August

Also bike ridin' at HB this Saturday before the Brad Paisley concert. If I'm draggin' Sunday morning, that's why.

Whaddya got?
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
Ashley Armstrong
Club: CASOC
Car#: 814

Re: Non racin' summer plans

Post by Ashley Armstrong »

Nine-day business trip to Tucson, leaving early-morning the 16th (ugh).

Palm Springs with girlfriends mid-July (possibly taking a break from my busy tanning/mojito-drinking itinerary to go to El Toro :)

Rhyolite ghost town!!!!!!

HOPEFULLY (crossing my fingers) Puerto Vallarta with aforementioned girlfriends for my birthday in August. Plan still up in the air.
Ash "Cupcakes"
2008 bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit-eating champion
Curt Luther
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Post by Curt Luther »

Ashley Armstrong wrote: Palm Springs with girlfriends mid-July (possibly taking a break from my busy tanning/mojito-drinking itinerary to go to El Toro :)
Palm Springs in July? Are you trying to catch yourself on fire? Srsly, if ya gotta go to the desert, keep driving a few more hours and go to the river. Parker, Havasu, Laughlin.

Otherwise, go to the beach. Laguna is 10 miles from El Toro :thumbup:
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
Ashley Armstrong

Curt Luther wrote:
Ashley Armstrong wrote: Palm Springs with girlfriends mid-July (possibly taking a break from my busy tanning/mojito-drinking itinerary to go to El Toro :)
Palm Springs in July? Are you trying to catch yourself on fire? Srsly, if ya gotta go to the desert, keep driving a few more hours and go to the river. Parker, Havasu, Laughlin.

Otherwise, go to the beach. Laguna is 10 miles from El Toro :thumbup:
Yeah, I suffer in the heat -- I went to a wedding in Palm Springs two Julys ago, and it was profoundly hot -- but the girl has a time share there, so Palm Springs it is. I'm trying to make the most of it :) Maybe I'll drag her to Laguna Friday!
Ash "Cupcakes"
Tom Tanquary
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 705

Post by Tom Tanquary »

Nine-day business trip to Tucson
I used to live in Tucson. I know almost everyone won't agree with me, but Tucson is the last great cowboy town in America. On the surface it's a dead-end desert town on the edge of the planet. Underneath it's the center of cowboy/western culture. The Sonora desert is the finest example of that type of ecosystem on earth. I could write paragraph after paragraph about all the unique things that can be found there. It is the world-wide center for cloud study, the world center for lightning study, astronomy, and on and on. I had a house out of town on an acre of untouched desert and it was like Bruce Almighty every single day. I have never seen that much wildlife in my life. There's a reason why the largest photography museum is there. John Wayne made all of his westerns there. God, how I love that town. But unless you hook up with a local, you'll never see a fraction of it. All the truly great stuff is kept fairly out of sight for good reason.

But, more to the point of today, it's a great party town. The best parties I've ever been to were there. See if the Country Club Lounge is still open. We used to slam dance to punk while REAL cowboys sat at the bar drinking long neck buds, and no one bothered anyone. Good times, good times.
[youtubeShortLink][/youtubeShortLink]"Our intelligence grew faster than our wisdom.... "
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Puerta Vallarta in July (gonna make me miss the divisionals, but I think I'll survive).

Napa later that month.

San Diego for a week (while my kids are in day camp down there) in August.

Hawaii in Sept.

Bummer is I hate heat and humidity, so I'm gonna have to drink my way thru PV and Hawaii.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Reijo Silvennoinen
Car#: 60

Post by Reijo Silvennoinen »

Maybe a trip to Calgary for some short-term contract work - June/July, maybe visit parents/family in Ontario (Canada, that is), and I just heard about a trip to Mexico/Tijuana area to build a house on a weekend at the end of June.....that might be exciting! Topeka in September! (mandatory autocross content? ;) )

Hey and speaking of autocross, what about the Packwood Tour/Pro, Utah events etc?

Reijo
Reijo
BS - CASOC
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." - Earl Weaver
http://www.RASEInc.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Glenn Duensing
Car#: 28
Location: Relaxin' and chillin' on the third rock from the Sun.

Post by Glenn Duensing »

Ashley Armstrong wrote:Nine-day business trip to Tucson, leaving early-morning the 16th (ugh).

Palm Springs with girlfriends mid-July (possibly taking a break from my busy tanning/mojito-drinking itinerary to go to El Toro :)

Rhyolite ghost town!!!!!!

HOPEFULLY (crossing my fingers) Puerto Vallarta with aforementioned girlfriends for my birthday in August. Plan still up in the air.
Tucson-Hot
Palm Springs-Hotter
Rhyolite-Fricken Death Valley is only 25 miles away!
Ashley Armstrong

Glenn Duensing wrote: Tucson-Hot
Palm Springs-Hotter
ARHGHGH I know!!! I work with archaeologists and vacation with Canadians, neither of whom seem to care about my delicate sensibilities and how they might be affected by obscenely high temps :)
Ash "Cupcakes"
Ashley Armstrong

Tom Tanquary wrote:But, more to the point of today, it's a great party town.

This is probably the only benefit to having to stay out for work on a weekend: there is the opportunity to party NOT on a weeknight. (The last time I was out there was moderately disastrous, in that regard.)

Thanks for the recommendation--I'll check it out!
Ash "Cupcakes"
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Ashley Armstrong wrote:
Glenn Duensing wrote: Tucson-Hot
Palm Springs-Hotter
ARHGHGH I know!!! I work with archaeologists and vacation with Canadians, neither of whom seem to care about my delicate sensibilities and how they might be affected by obscenely high temps :)
My wife and I went to Death Valley on our anniversary one year. Last weekend in August. Temperature at Badwater: 124F

Tucson is great town. Not huge, sprawling and concrete like Phoenix. The trick to cooling off is to take the Mount Lemmon Highway up to the top, 9,000 foot elevation. I used to rock climb there in the summer when I lived in Chandler [goat-roper town turned suburb near Phoenix].
Last edited by Bob Beamesderfer on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashley Armstrong

I'll pack my SPF80!
Ash "Cupcakes"
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Ashley Armstrong wrote:I'll pack my SPF80!
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Otherwise :barf:
Ashley Armstrong

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Ashley Armstrong wrote:I'll pack my SPF80!
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Otherwise :barf:
That too :)
Ash "Cupcakes"
Thomas Smith
Car#: 158

Post by Thomas Smith »

Curt Luther wrote:Also bike ridin' at HB this Saturday before the Brad Paisley concert.
I'll be at Paisley/Jewel as well but I don't run until the afternoon Sunday.

We did Maui for a week in February so we could see the Humpback whales. I'll be taking the 4th of July week off but will be working on the house as my GF has only been at her job a year and does not have 5 weeks of vacation to use like I do. I've always said I'd much rather spend my vacation on a tropical beach than in a parking lot in Kansas.
Thomas Smith
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

Baby #2 is due the first week of August.

I need to get back to the UK for a week before that for business, but I think line #1 pretty much sums up the next 4 months of my life.
Pat O\'Neal
Club: TCC
Car#: 0

Post by Pat O\'Neal »

Cruising to Alaska on the Norweigian Pearl July 20!
Ken Lord
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 951

Post by Ken Lord »

Ashley Armstrong wrote:
Glenn Duensing wrote: ARHGHGH I know!!! I work with archaeologists and vacation with Canadians, neither of whom seem to care about my delicate sensibilities and how they might be affected by obscenely high temps :)
Ashley - what archaeologists do you work with. I are one. Or I was actually a field archaeologist at one point in time. Now armchair and send people out to do the work.

As for non racing vacations - 4 days in late June at Mammoth flyfishing
4 days in late July in Connecticut visitng my Mom for her 85th birthday.

Nothing else planned
Ashley Armstrong

Ken Lord wrote:Ashley - what archaeologists do you work with. I are one. Or I was actually a field archaeologist at one point in time. Now armchair and send people out to do the work.
I work at a CRM firm in Redlands. I just edit and format the reports, though. Archaeologists are an amusing bunch :)
Ash "Cupcakes"
Tom Tanquary
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 705

Post by Tom Tanquary »

Archaeologists are an amusing bunch
I spent two weeks on the north coast of Peru hanging out with a bunch of archaeologists digging in the pyramids of the Moche looking for human sacrifice sites. We (they) found several. I have to say it was pretty cool watching them dust off bones of torture victims that had been ritualistically placed almost 2000 years ago. So real it was beyond real. It was probably the most fascinating thing I've ever done. And then listening to stories of siting on top of the pyramids at night drinking the special cactus brew (not tequila) that let these guys 'see' the Moche. OK, it got a little out there. But the treasures these guys were coming up with were just breath taking. Like this http://www.delange.org/LordSipanGold/LordSipanGold.htm I got to film this exhibit at night after the museum was closed because they had to take the glass down from in front of the cases. I had 5 Peruvian soldiers with machine guns with me the entire time in case I had a thought of taking some souvenirs. There was as much gold as King Tut. That trip was way cool.
[youtubeShortLink][/youtubeShortLink]"Our intelligence grew faster than our wisdom.... "
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

A colleague was involved in filming up in the Andies while they discovered freeze dried remains of semi ancient indigenous peoples. He got a severe case of Montezuma's revenge ... three days from a doctor/civilization. Went out of his tent at night to relieve himself. When he was finished he looked at his runny offering with his flashlight. Discovered it was a writhing pile of worms! :o :barf:

The local guides gave him some awful leaves to chew that completely took care of it. :thumbup:

+1 for Tucson!
Chris Manacop
Car#: 709

Post by Chris Manacop »

getting married next month

Japan is august

yay !
West Coast Editor
www.SpeedLounge.com
Chad Nankervis
Club: TCC
Car#: 49

Post by Chad Nankervis »

Robert Puertas wrote:Baby #2 is due the first week of August. I need to get back to the UK for a week before that for business, but I think line #1 pretty much sums up the next 4 months of my life.
x2, my 1st is showing up around June 21. Hopefully I'll be back in action around November or so.
Yay babies! It's just an excuse to buy a kart in 5 years }:)
http://www.death2cones.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

It's just an excuse to buy a kart in 5 years
You've got a really understanding missus!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
David Avard
Car#: 13

Post by David Avard »

We don't have any non-racing summer plans. We're flying out to CA and then driving up to WA for the Packwood Pro. (You're probably thinking why don't we just fly to Seattle/Portland, but that would mean the car owner would have to deliver the car for us to drive, and that hardly seems fair.)
David Avard
'89 Honda Civic Si
'07 Mazda 3
'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee
'88 UHaul