First Job

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Re: First Job

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

*****Any tax advice included in this written or electronic communication was not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the taxpayer, for the purpose of avoiding any penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer by any governmental taxing authority or agency*****
Same here. And why am I not surprised that the IRS would have the double-secret gotcha.
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

1st job, mowing lawns in about 4th grade-10th grade, occasionally for neighbors who were to old to.
1st "paying job" 1986 Camp councilor Adventure Unlimited, Buena Vista CO. (Flew out to CO. the day after I graduated H.S., flew home the day before I started college) $150.00 a week
1st "real world" job, 1986 Brodings Battery warehouse (La Mesa) as a delivery driver, warehouse forklift operator. $6.00 hr.
Art Rinner
Car#: 83

Post by Art Rinner »

My first real job was working at Mac Donalds for 1.25 hr. After a couple of months working there they introduced the Big Mac! How's that for aging myself.
Art Rinner
#83 240ZT
Reijo Silvennoinen
Club: CASOC
Car#: 60

Post by Reijo Silvennoinen »

My God! I've never been in a McDonald's before the Big Mac! :shock: I'm speechless! :mrgreen:

Reijo
Reijo
BS - CASOC
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." - Earl Weaver
http://www.RASEInc.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pat O\'Neal
Club: TCC
Car#: 0

Post by Pat O\'Neal »

Art Rinner wrote:How's that for aging myself.
I think just pointing out that you worked for $1.25/hr was sufficient ;).
Bob Beamesderfer

Pat O'Neal wrote:
Art Rinner wrote:How's that for aging myself.
I think just pointing out that you worked for $1.25/hr was sufficient ;).
My second job paid minimum wage, about $1.35 an hour in 1972. :lol:
Damon Tolentino
Club: TCC
Car#: 260

Post by Damon Tolentino »

Art Rinner wrote:My first real job was working at Mac Donalds for 1.25 hr. After a couple of months working there they introduced the Big Mac! How's that for aging myself.
not bad art, seeing as how i'm the same age as the big mac. :mrgreen:
Damon™
1993 Ford Probe GT - STS - #260
Crew Chief for ITB #86 - 1990 Ford Probe GL - driven by Stacey Bertran
Ashley Armstrong
Car#: 814

Post by Ashley Armstrong »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:And I did mean Italian beeF not bee. I kin tipe good sumtimz. :roll:

Please go, eat and report back. :D
It's closed down :(
Ash "Cupcakes"
2008 bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit-eating champion
Curt Luther
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Post by Curt Luther »

Ashley Armstrong wrote:
Bob Beamesderfer wrote:And I did mean Italian beeF not bee. I kin tipe good sumtimz. :roll:

Please go, eat and report back. :D
It's closed down :(
I noticed that too when I drove past it yesterday afternoon. Inspired me to go home and make a similar, somewhat healthier version with some leftover steak :thumbup:
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
Ashley Armstrong

mmm, I wish I had leftover steak kicking around. Sucks when you run out of food a few days before you're leaving town :(
Ash "Cupcakes"
Curt Luther
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Post by Curt Luther »

Ashley Armstrong wrote:mmm, I wish I had leftover steak kicking around. Sucks when you run out of food a few days before you're leaving town :(
C'mon, go buy some food. It's always fun to come home to science experiments in the fridge after being gone a week :geek:
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
Ashley Armstrong

Curt Luther wrote:
Ashley Armstrong wrote:mmm, I wish I had leftover steak kicking around. Sucks when you run out of food a few days before you're leaving town :(
C'mon, go buy some food. It's always fun to come home to science experiments in the fridge after being gone a week :geek:
9 days, and ewww! :mrgreen:
Ash "Cupcakes"
Bob Beamesderfer

Ashley Armstrong wrote:
Curt Luther wrote:
9 days, and ewww! :mrgreen:
But it can be made into a fun game! Identify what it was! "Are these mushrooms or cherry tomatoes?" :barf:
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 18

Post by Michael Palero »

1st Job:
Fry's Electronics San Diego, CA
Store Theme: Dilapidated ex Incredible Universe Store
Wage: Minimum wage + $.65 $7.40
Duty: Stock boy for Components department. Components sells everything from solar cells, astronaut ice cream, CB radios, waterproof gun cases, power supplies, electrical testing equipment, R/C toys, GPS, batteries, more cases, and HDDs CPUS RAM. Weirdest department. I was non-commission.

I didn't know it at the time, but I think I was worth at least $8.75/hr.
When I was finishing up the interview process, the store manager asked me what I was looking to get for pay.
I replied without thinking, "I'll take what I can get!"

Working is just as bad as shopping there. There were never enough associates to field questions and help customers out. I had a bad habit of helping people out with their questions. I'd always have a queue of people around me wanting to ask questions or buy items, but since I was non-commission I wasn't allowed to pull RAM, CPUS or radios or even help those people.
Sometimes I would be so desperate to go out to lunch and just eat, I'd have to take off my tie, stare at the floor and run towards the front of the store to make it to the time clock. I would never make it though-- The white dress shirt makes you visible from miles away.
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

First job that the IRS cared about ...

Working at an Army PX (Post Exchange [store]) ... Men's Clothing Dept. I was horrible! I was suppose to sell suits. I had to take these army guys addresses down for their alteration. With my dyslexia I couldn't for the life of me get their weird organizational abbreviations correct on the forms. "JIEDDO" "ODSPEUR" etc. I spent a lot of time in the stock room. For some reason I was also bad at inventory. Pay = less then Arts! :o

2nd Job ... Shooting for the german auto magazine Rally+Racing (I was living in Germany). Missed my HS graduation to shoot the Italian GP! :mrgreen: One of my shots from that assignment won a Road & Track award. :king: The IRS didn't know about that job ... but they weren't missing much! :oops:
B K
Car#: 0

Post by B K »

In 1998, I hit a big green button every few minutes at Six Flags Magic Mountain. One time, the train didn't make it up the first hill :(
Ashley Armstrong

B K wrote:In 1998, I hit a big green button every few minutes at Six Flags Magic Mountain. One time, the train didn't make it up the first hill :(
Hope you didn't cross the tracks with trains incoming. I was at Magic Mountain around that time (96 maybe?) when the girl attendant got run over by Revolution.
Ash "Cupcakes"
Bob Beamesderfer

Ashley Armstrong wrote: Hope you didn't cross the tracks with trains incoming. I was at Magic Mountain around that time (96 maybe?) when the girl attendant got run over by Revolution.
OUCH! :shock:
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Mako Koiwai wrote:One of my shots from that assignment won a Road & Track award. :king:
Got a scan? Post it up!
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Just checked ... no I don't. I'll have to check with my mom ... she's the keeper of all that old stuff. Back in the '70's R&T twice had a photo contest. I only won lesser prizes, but I believe I was the only one that won in each contest. If I recall, the Monza shot was of Chris Amon (! anyone remember him? One of the unluckiest fast guys from back then. Never quite manage to pull off a GP win.) ... in the pits, in his car, almost sunset. The other one was actually similiar, but of I believe Henri Pescarolo ... at Hockenheim Ring ... probably a F2 race.
David Crozier

Post by David Crozier »

Ashley Armstrong wrote:
Hope you didn't cross the tracks with trains incoming. I was at Magic Mountain around that time (96 maybe?) when the girl attendant got run over by Revolution.

I was doing a gig there at that time. We played on the stage by the carouse right by the revolution. I remember asking one of the workers who drove us into the park if the ride was closed down out of respect for the family and he replied that they were "still trying to clean it up".
Ashley Armstrong

Yikes. Yeah. It was pretty gruesome.
Ash "Cupcakes"
Lily Liu
Car#: 353

Post by Lily Liu »

very, very first job? From 6 - 14, when school was out, I'd be helping my parents at their factory packaging zippers, bunching them by the dozen and sealing bags with the thermal sealer (which I loved playing with). I also remember late nights helping my Dad make doors, tables, chairs, displays and shelves for the factory, fix plumbing and handing him tools while he would fix the zipper machines. Or, I'd be changing and cleaning my baby bro and sis' diapers (yes, the cloth diapers! :barf: ). The perks of being the oldest kid...
first paying job? Age 9 or 10, can't remember, as a Mandaring and Math tutor for kids that could barely speak (ages 3 - 6)... those parents were crazy, math tutoring at 4 years old?!? I got paid Q10/hour, which is equivalent to $1.25 USD. I've been tutoring on/off since, and still do today.
first college job? I took up 3 jobs within one week, can't remember which one came first. Research assistant, bookstore clerk, and graveyard shift at the university info desk.
first real job? as a scientist-wannabe at a biotech company, same job today.
After reminiscing about all this, I feel like I need a vacation! :lol: I guess I was trained to be a workaholic since I was young.
~Lily
Tom Tanquary
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 705

Post by Tom Tanquary »

I'd be helping my parents at their factory
I think that getting to be part of a family business is a great privilege. I grew up in farm country and families just always worked as a whole. Too bad there isn't more of that today.
[youtubeShortLink][/youtubeShortLink]"Our intelligence grew faster than our wisdom.... "
Reijo Silvennoinen
Car#: 60

Post by Reijo Silvennoinen »

Tom Tanquary wrote:
I'd be helping my parents at their factory
I think that getting to be part of a family business is a great privilege. I grew up in farm country and families just always worked as a whole. Too bad there isn't more of that today.
Yeah, no kidding. Now as soon as someone figures you are expendable (whether true or not), you're gone. Somehow it just seems wrong. Maybe it is just this whole disposable society we live in, eh? Use them quick, toss them out. Job security? What's that? :roll:

Reijo
Reijo
BS - CASOC
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." - Earl Weaver
http://www.RASEInc.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;