Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Tom Denham
Club: PSCC
Car#: 237

Toyota/Subaru RWD

Post by Tom Denham »

TMC to Display 3 Concepts, F1 Car at Tokyo Motor Show

Tokyo — TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION (TMC) announces that three concept vehicles and the TF109 Formula One racing car are to highlight its Toyota-brand exhibit for the 41st Tokyo Motor Show. The show is open to the public from October 24 to November 4 at Makuhari Messe in Makuhari, Chiba Prefecture.

FT-86 Concept

TMC views motor shows as an opportunity to highlight new, automotive possibilities, and so over the years has used them to unveil a wide variety of concept vehicles and groundbreaking technologies.

This year, the Toyota-brand exhibit continues its theme from the previous Tokyo Motor Show: "Harmonious Drive—A New Tomorrow for People and the Planet". This theme expresses TMC's commitment to making cars that brim with individuality but that are also in harmony with society.

The Toyota-brand display will include a compact rear-wheel-drive sports vehicle that embodies the joy of driving and the pleasure of ownership—the fundamental appeal of motor vehicles. The display will also feature environmentally friendly concept vehicles including a plug-in hybrid vehicle (PHV), the type of vehicle considered best suited for widespread use to effectively meet CO2 emissions restrictions and the diversification of energy, and an electric vehicle (EV) suitable for short-distance trips.

During the Tokyo Motor Show, TMC will also display its concept vehicles virtually on Toyota Metapolis, which is a Japanese-language marketing website featuring a virtual city. The virtual vehicle display is planned to go online on October 21 at http://metapolis.toyota.co.jp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Display vehicles

1. FT-86 Concept (world premiere)
The FT-86 ("86" pronounced "hachi roku"), a compact rear-wheel-drive sports car, provides driving joy and excitement.

Compact design gives driver greater control, while body's lightness and low center of gravity allow racecar-like handling
Both power and environmental performance provided by 2-liter boxer engine and light body
Flash Red body color contains hint of blue; interior expresses modern feel with minimal coverage of the highly refined structural components evoking enthusiasm for cruising

Vehicle Length Width Height Wheelbase Seating
FT-86 Concept 4,160 mm 1,760 mm 1,260 mm 2,570 mm, 4

http://jalopnik.com/5375217/toyota-ft+8 ... tedImage=2
Last edited by Tom Denham on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Denham

Re: Toyota/Subaru RWD

Post by Tom Denham »

Last edited by Tom Denham on Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Mike Shin
Car#: 352

Post by Mike Shin »

I don't mean to be a Negative Nancy, but if the FT-86 becomes a reality and reaches the U.S. (If ever) It'll probably be a 6th gen FWD Scion TC. :P
Tom Denham

Post by Tom Denham »

Mike Shin wrote:I don't mean to be a Negative Nancy, but if the FT-86 becomes a reality and reaches the U.S. (If ever) It'll probably be a 6th gen FWD Scion TC. :P

You would be wrong. It will be here in RWD or maybe AWD .
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Reminds me of a Z-Car.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Tom Denham

Post by Tom Denham »

Rick Brown wrote:Reminds me of a Z-Car.
Yep

And maybe a little S2000 front end.
Mike Shin

Post by Mike Shin »

Tom Denham wrote:
Mike Shin wrote:I don't mean to be a Negative Nancy, but if the FT-86 becomes a reality and reaches the U.S. (If ever) It'll probably be a 6th gen FWD Scion TC. :P

That is possible, but with having Toyota re-establishing themselves as a family-oriented brand the past 10+ years and pushing it's performance or "fun-cars" towards Lexus and Scion, I still think that it's gonna be a Scion in some form or fashion.
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

Mike Shin wrote:
Tom Denham wrote:
That is possible, but with having Toyota re-establishing themselves as a family-oriented brand the past 10+ years and pushing it's performance or "fun-cars" towards Lexus and Scion, I still think that it's gonna be a Scion in some form or fashion.
This will be totally driven by real-life marketing studies.
Remember, the MR2 Spyder was supposed to be the first Scion, but after marketing studies learned all of the potential buyers were 40 year old men, it stayed a MR2.

I would be less surprised to see this as a Lexus, rather than a Scion. However, we can dream, and it would be seriously cool if they offered a stripped out cheap version with a torsen lsd as a Scion and a pimped out luxury version for Lexus.
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Mike Shin wrote:
Tom Denham wrote:

I'd probably buy the suby version anyway. I hate Toyota.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Tom Denham

Post by Tom Denham »

Mike Shin wrote:
Tom Denham wrote:

Mike THIS platform has been designed for RWD from the get go.
Now what badge it will have i dont know , but the name dosent matter , Small, some what light, high reving RWD Sports car, is what it is SUPPOSE to be.

We will see very soon 2011-12 model year.
Mike Shin

Post by Mike Shin »

Tom Denham wrote:
Mike THIS platform has been designed for RWD from the get go.
Now what badge it will have i dont know , but the name dosent matter , Small, some what light, high reving RWD Sports car, is what it is SUPPOSE to be.

We will see very soon 2011-12 model year.
Hell, if Hyundai and Nissan can do it so can Toyota.
Tom Denham

Post by Tom Denham »

Toyota goes sporty for Tokyo auto show

Hans Greimel
Automotive News
October 6, 2009 - 12:30 am ET

TOKYO -- Toyota Motor Corp. goes sporty at this months' Tokyo Motor Show, unveiling its vision for a sport coupe being jointly developed with Subaru.

The Toyota-badged car, dubbed the FT-86 Concept, is the spiritual successor to the AE86 sport coupe of the 1980s, which was based on the Corolla. Like its boxy predecessor, the FT-86 Concept is compact, lightweight and has a low center of gravity.

But the styling is modernized with a rounded, sleek silhouette.

The FT-86 is Toyota's concept for a sporty coupe being undertaken with Fuji Heavy Industries Inc., the company that manufactures Subaru vehicles. While it is fitted with a 2.0-liter boxer engine from Subaru, the overall design was created by Toyota's ED2 styling studio in France. Even the blue-red metallic paint was specially developed by Toyota.

“Sports cars have to be red, but we wanted a new red,” said chief engineer Tetsuya Tada. “So we came up with shoujyouhi red, the traditional red color of a Japanese monkey's [backside].”

Toyota and Fuji Heavy plan to start producing a sporty car in late 2011.

Toyota will be responsible for most of the engineering. Fuji Heavy will supply the horizontally opposed engine and manufacture the car at a Subaru plant.

Fuji Heavy won't comment on whether the FT-86 Concept is that car or not; Subaru won't be displaying a sports car at the Oct. 24-Nov. 4 Tokyo Motor Show. But the car clearly underscores new President Akio Toyoda's push for more muscular, fun-to-drive models.

Tada said Toyota wants the FT-86's sticker price to be in the $20,000 range. “It won't sell if it's over 3 million yen ($30,000),” he said. “The price has to appeal to regular customers.”

The car seats four and has a front-engine, rear-drive layout. The boxer engine allows for a lower hood and gives the FT-86 a lower center of gravity. Key to the design was maximizing fuel efficiency by reducing weight and creating a compact design, Tada said.

Tada also said it gets a dedicated chassis, noting that “enthusiasts don't want a shared platform
Pete Loney
Car#: 777

Post by Pete Loney »

“Sports cars have to be red, but we wanted a new red,” said chief engineer Tetsuya Tada. “So we came up with shoujyouhi red, the traditional red color of a Japanese monkey's [backside].”

Not sure if I would reveal the origins of the color if they are based on a Monkey's Arse color :| Odd.
2021 Season: 777 ES | 1999 Miata, 10th Anniversary #3987/7500
MIATAROADSTER.COM
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Ferrari Red Vs. Monkey Butt Red !?!?!?!?! :roll:
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Kurt Rahn wrote: I'd probably buy the suby version anyway. I hate Toyota.
Man, I almost deleted this post, it's makes no sense.
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
Kurt Rahn wrote: I'd probably buy the suby version anyway. I hate Toyota.
Man, I almost deleted this post, it's makes no sense.
Let me quantify, Mr. SupraMan. Toyota used to be interested in sports cars (AE86, MR2, Supra, etc.), but hey sold out to follow the demographics over the last 1-2 decades. I hate sellouts of this ilk, particularly when they try to market their way into appearing "sporty" despite a lack of engineering to back such claims up. Hopefully this car can start a trend the other way for Toyota.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Tom Denham

Post by Tom Denham »

Size comparison to the STI STATION wagon.

Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Kurt Rahn wrote: Let me quantify, Mr. SupraMan. Toyota used to be interested in sports cars (AE86, MR2, Supra, etc.), but hey sold out to follow the demographics over the last 1-2 decades. I hate sellouts of this ilk, particularly when they try to market their way into appearing "sporty" despite a lack of engineering to back such claims up. Hopefully this car can start a trend the other way for Toyota.
Ah, see that's the problem, you are miss-understanding where Toyota came from, they started out making trucks and family cars, every 20 years or so once of the Toyoda family will get all feisty and they will make a sporty car. So how is going back to your roots "selling out"? It's also the best company I ever worked for, everyone there was actually proud of the product and wanted to work to make it better and introduce more people to it. Toyota are also a very large holder in Subaru and Yamaha if you want a more performance oriented vehicle, plus they are a huge supporter of international motorsports.

Accusing Toyota of a lack of engineering also makes no sense, that's what they do, engineer quality products that don't break.

Really in general I don't care who makes what car, I'm pretty equal opportunity about what i'll drive, but I'm a fan of Toyota the company.
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:Ah, see that's the problem, you are miss-understanding where Toyota came from, they started out making trucks and family cars, every 20 years or so once of the Toyoda family will get all feisty and they will make a sporty car. So how is going back to your roots "selling out"? It's also the best company I ever worked for, everyone there was actually proud of the product and wanted to work to make it better and introduce more people to it. Toyota are also a very large holder in Subaru and Yamaha if you want a more performance oriented vehicle, plus they are a huge supporter of international motorsports.
BMW came from making aircraft engines, and if they went back to that, I'd be pretty down on them too. In fact, as they've lost their way in the last five or so years, emphasizing whiz-bang electronics, porking up their smaller cars and putting too many driver nannies in, I've gotten down on them a bit as well.

That aside, my problem isn't that Toyota wants to make boring-but-profitable family haulers, its that they make an attempt to market these same mommie-mobiles as somehow sporty just because they have a wing on the back and an "s" on the trunklid. If they want to be sporty, then their products should back up their talk. If not, then they should just keep their head down and make money off the 80% percent of the population tht looks at cars as utilities. That, I don't have a problem with.
Aaron Goldsmith wrote:Accusing Toyota of a lack of engineering also makes no sense, that's what they do, engineer quality products that don't break.
I wasn't accusing them of having faulty engineering. The exact opposite, actually, I think their engineers are some of the best in the industry. What I said was that the marketing department creates one image of the company and the engineers build a product that doesn't match that marketing image (mushy suspensions, underpowered engines, automatic transmissions, front drive, etc.). The fact that Toyota's engineers are supremely capable of building a great sports car (as we've seen in the past) is only more frustrating, because the company's management is holding them back.

Really in general I don't care who makes what car, I'm pretty equal opportunity about what i'll drive, but I'm a fan of Toyota the company.[/quote]
I'm actually the same: I don't really look at the badge either (hell, I've actually been considering a Hyundai and a Cobalt), but I hate Toyota the company. I think we're just gonna have to disagree on that one.
==============
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Subaru use to be run by engineers ... it's obvious from their latest creations that they've been too influenced by faulty US Marketing choices ... which has resulted in a huge collapse of their youthful (future!) supporters.
Pete Loney
Car#: 777

Post by Pete Loney »

I was way ahead of them in recognizing this quote....

http://jalopnik.com/5376254/tetsuya-tada-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2021 Season: 777 ES | 1999 Miata, 10th Anniversary #3987/7500
MIATAROADSTER.COM
Tom Denham

Post by Tom Denham »

Pete Loney wrote:I was way ahead of them in recognizing this quote....

http://jalopnik.com/5376254/tetsuya-tada-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here you Go Pete.Image
Greg Peng
Car#: 908

Post by Greg Peng »

What an interesting species...
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15