Perpetual Hotel for Event Thread (priceline, etc)

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Re: Perpetual Hotel for Event Thread (priceline, etc)

Post by KJ Christopher »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
George Schilling wrote:I haven't been to San Diego since the tour last year. What prices and areas have you guys been winning with? Has the Sorrento Mesa area gone up in price or is it still around $40?
I was trying last month and had a ton of trouble getting anything near the prices from last year, i'll have to give it a go again soon.
$40 didn't work this am.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Brian Peters

Post by Brian Peters »

FWIW, I secured the Sorrento Mesa Country Inn for this weekend at a $60 bid.
Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Post by Arthur Grant »

Brian Peters wrote:FWIW, I secured the Sorrento Mesa Country Inn for this weekend at a $60 bid.

I am missing something. If you name your own price, how do you select your hotel?
Aaron Goldsmith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Arthur Grant wrote:
Brian Peters wrote:FWIW, I secured the Sorrento Mesa Country Inn for this weekend at a $60 bid.

I am missing something. If you name your own price, how do you select your hotel?
You don't, that's the tradeoff.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

What you can choose is the general location and quality of the hotels.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Arthur Grant

Post by Arthur Grant »

Ok with some trepidation I followed suit used priceline and bid $62. Got the Country Inn & Suites Sorrento Mesa. When I travel, I usually stay at either Marriott, Hilton, worst case a Holiday in Express, unless it's Vegas in which case I stay at the Encore. So hopefully this will be at least equal to a Holiday Inn Express. Then again the company is usually picking up the tab.

Anything unique about the National Tour event, different from the standare Autocross that I should be aware of, besides intensity and size?
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Arthur Grant wrote:Ok with some trepidation I followed suit used priceline and bid $62. Got the Country Inn & Suites Sorrento Mesa. When I travel, I usually stay at either Marriott, Hilton, worst case a Holiday in Express, unless it's Vegas in which case I stay at the Encore. So hopefully this will be at least equal to a Holiday Inn Express. Then again the company is usually picking up the tab.

Anything unique about the National Tour event, different from the standare Autocross that I should be aware of, besides intensity and size?
Must use 2 digit number which only has to be unique to your class. You run in numerical order within your class, you are assigned a specific grid spot, there is impound after all runs in your group (where you open up your car for others to check over), usually in your grid spot and you can't leave until results come out. There are two grids, one for the running group and one for the next group up. If you are not in grid when the runs start, you lose that run. You have to have a required set of stickers on your car. All I can think of at the moment.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Arthur Grant

Post by Arthur Grant »

Ok so the National will run like last years Pro. Cool, plus I should have the chance to weigh my car again.
Aaron Goldsmith

Those booking rooms for Nationals, the run days are posted.
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

What star level are you guys bidding for in SD?
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Sebastian Rios wrote:What star level are you guys bidding for in SD?
I haven't bid yet, but I would be reluctant to go below 3*.

BTW folks, if Priceline doesn't work out, be sure to check out Hotwire. Prices aren't as low, but you have more information about the hotel before you buy.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Aaron Goldsmith

I couldn't get a hotel at any significant savings in the area around the stadium using priceline. SD is nice since you can try a ton of times using the priceline tricks. I eventually just booked a place direct.
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

George:

I had to read some of this thread as I always use Orbitz and just a get 2 * Star hotel for when I go down to SD for the BMWCCA events, but I stayed at the Marriott which is 2 miles away from the stadium. Great hotel but $130 a night. So I just tried PRICELINE. Bid $60...........and BINGO! Add the $15 tax and still I get a 3.5 star hotel for 2 * Star Hotel price :)
George Schilling
Club Representative

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:George:

I had to read some of this thread as I always use Orbitz and just a get 2 * Star hotel for when I go down to SD for the BMWCCA events, but I stayed at the Marriott which is 2 miles away from the stadium. Great hotel but $130 a night. So I just tried PRICELINE. Bid $60...........and BINGO! Add the $15 tax and still I get a 3.5 star hotel for 2 * Star Hotel price :)
Nice :thumbup:
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Steve Towers
Car#: 87

Post by Steve Towers »

Over time I've heard negatives about staying on Hotel Circle. Just how bad is it? Who's had problems? What kind?
George Schilling
Club Representative

I did my hotel shopping for the tour today. Here's my post from the site I share info with:

Started at $40 and used free bids @ $42 and $45 before this hit. Another option I was considering was a Hotwire selection @ $52 in Kearney Mesa. Probably the Holiday Inn Express. I like this hotel better. The best free breakfast in town by far. Free internet. Nice lounge. Chili's restaurant steps away in the parking lot. What's not to like? :thumbup:

Country Inn And Suites San Diego North 3 Star
Sorrento Mesa
5975 Lusk Boulevard
San Diego, California 92121
858-558-1818

Check-In Date:
Fri, Apr 1, 2011 / After 03:00 PM

Check-Out Date:
Sun, Apr 3, 2011 / 12:00 PM

Amenities: Remote control TV w/ premium channels Radio Alarm Clock Business services Telephone w/ voicemail Iron and ironing board Hairdryer 24 hour front desk On-site Dining

Your Offer Price..........................................$48.00

Subtotal...................................................$96.00

Taxes & Fees.............................................$20.60

Total Charges............................................$116.60
Steve Towers
Car#: 87

Post by Steve Towers »

FWIW - Just about the time George posted his winning bid, I bid $49 for *** in Sorrento Mesa and got turned down. It's a crapshoot.
Arthur Grant

Post by Arthur Grant »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:I couldn't get a hotel at any significant savings in the area around the stadium using priceline. SD is nice since you can try a ton of times using the priceline tricks. I eventually just booked a place direct.

What priceline tricks?
Arthur Grant

Post by Arthur Grant »

Steve Towers wrote:FWIW - Just about the time George posted his winning bid, I bid $49 for *** in Sorrento Mesa and got turned down. It's a crapshoot.

He did much better than I did, since I payed $62 for the same hotel, and since I bought the cancellation insurance (hedge against work calling) I was substaintially higher. That being said based on listed rates, I don't feel I got a bad deal. Especially if the breakfast is as good as George says it is, and it is actually served early enough for us to get to the event on time.
George Schilling
Club Representative

Steve Towers wrote:FWIW - Just about the time George posted his winning bid, I bid $49 for *** in Sorrento Mesa and got turned down. It's a crapshoot.
The $48 number is a good one for that hotel. Be patient until more rooms are released at that rate or try the Hotwire tip I gave you.
George Schilling
Club Representative

Arthur Grant wrote:
Aaron Goldsmith wrote:I couldn't get a hotel at any significant savings in the area around the stadium using priceline. SD is nice since you can try a ton of times using the priceline tricks. I eventually just booked a place direct.

What priceline tricks?
Art, go to betterbidding.com and you can read all about the tips and tricks to getting the lowest price hotel rooms. Please support the site by using the links to Hotwire and Priceline.
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Typically with Priceline, "name your price," we get excellent hotels but seemingly never at Hotel Circle ... which is right next to Qualcomm. But always close enough to Qualcomm, 10, 15 minutes away

I like the idea of the good breakfast at George's hotel!

(Me ... 10 nights in Ridgecrest at the Carriage Inn! Shooting CHEVY at Inyokern Airport)
Arthur Grant

Post by Arthur Grant »

Mako to wrote:Typically with Priceline, "name your price," we get excellent hotels but seemingly never at Hotel Circle ... which is right next to Qualcomm. But always close enough to Qualcomm, 10, 15 minutes away

I like the idea of the good breakfast at George's hotel!

(Me ... 10 nights in Ridgecrest at the Carriage Inn! Shooting CHEVY at Inyokern Airport)
Work is always a good thing. :)
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

03/07/11 Priceline: 3 Stars $55; got me the same hotel as George for the tour.

Must remember to set deadbolt...
George Schilling
Club Representative

Sebastian Rios wrote:03/07/11 Priceline: 3 Stars $55; got me the same hotel as George for the tour.

Must remember to set deadbolt...
Party Saturday night in Seb and Shauna's room. :gpower: