Condolences, Renee.

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Matthew Geier

Condolences, Renee.

Post by Matthew Geier »

If you have not heard, Craig has passed away.
The sincerest of condolences to you and your family from the Geiers.
Matt Geier
SCCA 341204
Nat'l F&C lic.
CSCC Auto-X #400
2005 Subaru STi
Worker services slave. ;)
Art Rinner
Car#: 83

Re: Condolences, Renee.

Post by Art Rinner »

Sad day for the Solo community. Cal Club Solo has lost part of its foundation, Craig was always the bedrock which our sport depended on. I will sorely miss him and the committee meetings will be much more boring. My heart goes out to Renee, if there is anything I can do please call.

Craig had a reputation as a curmudgeon, but he also had a heart as big as the motorhome and was always a friend to me. I have a vivid memory of him on my very first day of autocrossing in Jan 2001 No$ practice. He looked at me as I was coming up to the line and said "What are you smiling about?"

I told him the times I was getting and he said: "In this car! Not Bad." Little did I know at the time what a complement he gave me. His encouragement and dedication made me fall in love with the sport. He will be Missed by everyone, and it will be tough to not have him around anymore.

Rest in Peace Craig.
Art Rinner
#83 240ZT
John Coffey
Club: PSCC
Car#: 250

Post by John Coffey »

I'm really sorry to heard that. I'll miss Craig. Hang in there Renee.

I do remember a small joke i played in Craig back at a Norton Air base even. I signed up a worker named "Dick Weenis" for a course assignment and heard Craig announce over the PA, "Dick Weenis, please report for work. Dick Weenis.. wait, this must be a joke. Richard Weenis, please report for work. This has to be a joke, which parent in their right mind would name a kid Dick Weenis."
Tom Phillips
Club: No$
Car#: 185

Post by Tom Phillips »

Renee-
Both Kathy and I send our prayers. Craig was a good man and his legacy, to those who knew him, is his dedication to you, CSCC and the sport he loved.
If you need anything, call, anytime. Anyone in CSCC will be there with whatever you need.
Our love and prayers are with you.
Tom
Chris Lyon
Club: TCC
Car#: 278

Post by Chris Lyon »

Craig was a great guy! I had much respect for him because he did a lot for the group. As far back as I can remember Craig was one of the first people at the events and one of the last to leave. He was always nice to my dad and I. I will always remember when I first started autocrossing Craig would ask me often “So, did you beat your old man yet”? Craig’s remarks were encouraging and funny.

Craig will be missed! Hang in there Renee.

Chris
John Williams

Post by John Williams »

I'm so sorry to hear that Craig has passed. Solo will never be the same without him. He was one cool cat in my book.
Renee same goes for me, if you need anything just call.
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Wasn't too sure if I should've created a thread yesterday, as I got a call from Kelley Moon (a friend of the Angel family) yesterday afternoon. My mouth dropped when I was told of Craig's passing.

Renee, if you need ANYTHING you let me know. As many have said, Craig is the history of this sport and not to mention our treasurer, who owns the business "So Cal Solo II". He will be sorely missed. I enjoyed working with him as membership chairman dealing with him on the financial aspects of the club and one thing he was always concerned about is the financial health of this club. And along with "Taka" (aka Dick Takashima #90 who passed away a few years ago), Craig's points card number is now officially retired (#7).

RIP - Craig Angel (No$ #7)
Last edited by Giovanni Jaramillo on Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas Smith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 158

Post by Thomas Smith »

Renee

My heart goes out to you in this difficult time.....

Craig was a great guy and I will miss him greatly. He will always be the father of CSCC Solo II in my book. I'm glad I was able to talk to him earlier this year.

RIP Craig.

Tom Smith
Thomas Smith
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

The news Friday was a real kick in the teeth moment. We knew Craig's ticker was in need of atleast a ring and bearing job. And I kinda of subscribe to the notion that a real hard charging guy like Craig should go out like he did. I can't see Craig as an octogenarian with a walker and a breathing tube. I wanted to see Craig sliding a race car around, designing controversial courses, maintaining our most vital equipment, securing our lots, maintaining our books, being our curmudgeon emeritus, and being the wisecracker that made me laugh so hard. Still, its hard to imagine we don't have Craig Angel with us anymore. I knew him for 9 years. Many of you knew him for a lot longer. He touched my life and he's a man I'll always admire and respect.

Craig Angel was cool.

I feel so much for Renee. I'm so glad she came out and spent the day at the divisional with her racing family. And it was as much for us as for her. We could grieve with her and be with her without the guilt of running our event as scheduled. We all knew Craig would have wanted to make the call at 9am sharp. "Course is HOT!"

A lot of individuals will have to step up to fill all the roles that Craig filled for us for so many years. And more important as her family we need to help Renee through this.

I can still see and hear vividly, Craig on a major high after dnf'ing all his laps in the Lutheran Civic. I figured he'd be pissed about the course or something after getting lost each lap. No way. He's was raving about how cool the little STS civic was, "Man, its not a sh*tbox." He was pumped about the car. That's the way I like to remember Craig. Pumped up on an adrenaline high from flinging a car around as fast as he could. We should all be doing that well into our 70's.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Tom Tanquary
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 705

Post by Tom Tanquary »

I would say "Rest in Peace" but I'm sure he's kicking someone's ass right now for not being on top of something. He took responsibility for his life and expected others to do the same with their's. Good bye, Craig. We'll miss you.

But we will alway have Renee to remind us, because your strength is reflected in her.

We love you both.

t
[youtubeShortLink][/youtubeShortLink]"Our intelligence grew faster than our wisdom.... "
Bucky MacConaghy
Car#: 0

Post by Bucky MacConaghy »

Renee-

My wife and I send our most sincere condolences to you. We knew Craig back in the early to later 70's and he was a real character even back then.

We met him when he was a member of PSCC (gasp!!) in about 1971 or so. PSCC once held a club-only event at El Mirage Dry Lake and we laid out a course that was about two miles long. Non-affiliated kids would ride out on the course on their dirt bikes and kick over the cones. Craig saw one doing that and decided to do something about it. He jumped in his Mustang (sans mufflers) and chased the kid off the course. As Craig related it, the kid was hauling for the edge of the lake for all he was worth and kept looking over his shoulder at that great bellowing beast that was chasing him. (The car was loud, too. :lol:)

Craig was one of a kind and we won't see someone like him again.

R.I.P. Craig, and Godspeed.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

It was wonderful that Renee came out to the CA Divisional races today ... to be with her huge extended family. She received countless hugs from us. I think everyone choked up a bit when she talked to all of us at lunch over the PA ....

Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Gino Villanueva

Post by Gino Villanueva »

None of us knew until today, and like most were saying the news came like a swift kick to the teeth. All of us from Cal Poly Pomona send our condolences. Please Rene let us know if you need anything
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

When we get together at some point in the future to celebrate Craig Angel's life I'd love to try to get together so old photos from "back in the day". So many of us know and loved Craig from the last decade. I'd love to see young (not as old?) Craig beating up on the cones and being Craig.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Glenn Duensing
Car#: 28
Location: Relaxin' and chillin' on the third rock from the Sun.

Post by Glenn Duensing »

Renee,

I'm very sorry to hear about Craig.

One the my best memory of Craig was at Buttowillow. Craig was really dragging and just down and out. I told Craig to go ahead and drive "Blue" on his last run. He got a rerun and when he came back from he last run, he had the biggest smile on his face and just dancing around saying "I can still drive!". It was like he was a kid again.
Craig will be sorely missed.

Renee, you know if you need anything, just call.

RIP Craig.
Damon Tolentino
Car#: 260

Post by Damon Tolentino »

renee, stacey and i would like to express our deepest condolences to you and your family. i didn't find out about this until a few minutes ago when stacey was checking the cal club board.

we were just talking about him last night with one of our friends who was participating in the event this weekend. :(
Damon™
1993 Ford Probe GT - STS - #260
Crew Chief for ITB #86 - 1990 Ford Probe GL - driven by Stacey Bertran
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Being a relative noob, I don't recall meeting Craig, but judging by the responses I've seen and heard, he must have been an incredible person. I can only hope I've earned the same admiration and respect by the time my number's called. Renee, I have had the chance to talk and joke with you, and my prayers and heart go out to you. It sounds like you have a lot of shoulders to lean on, but if I'm there when you need one, I'd be honored.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Ian Stewart
Car#: 79

Post by Ian Stewart »

I don’t think I can say that I "knew" Craig,

I've neither the years nor the wisdom to claim this. But I do think that he "knew" many of us. That’s what happens when you share something you love to do with so many people for so many years.

We almost lost him a few years back, and I have considered any time I was able to spend around him since a rare blessing!

My most vivid memories of Craig will always be his course setup/design. I say it this way, because I think he did it on the fly, in his head... 6 in the morning open tarmac, White Pickup, White Beard and hat driving around shouting throw…throw…throw, cones flying out the sides like some deranged combine, and Presto... FUN COURSE!!

(PS those funny square course features aren’t Chicago boxes… They’re ANGEL BOXES)

Close second memory was his color commentary on the PA during the Formula Comp … with a Swedish accent!!

THANKS for all the great memories Craig!! I'’ll miss you… RIP, no wait…. ATC (Apex That Cloud!!)
Kevin Gasperini

Post by Kevin Gasperini »

It is very sad to hear about Craig's passing. My heart goes out to Renee, and the Angel family. I hope you all find peace in this difficult time.

Gino speaks for all of cal poly. Everyone I know on the formula team knew Craig, and respected Craig. He's been there for us for longer than I was at CPP. I really looked forward to going to the solo2 board meetings because he was always fun to listen to... I also liked talking to him at the events, because there was a lot of wisdom and compassion behind that grizzly-bear beard and weathered face. You could say a lot about of good things about Craig Angel, and this thread is a testament to that.

It seems like we've all got our Craig moments, and mine occurred at a board meeting, when someone had accidentally run over the timing lights... Upon hearing this, Craig said "Do we know who it was?" I think it was Geo who replied, "Yes, it was XX..."

"Well, look up his address and bill his ass!"

Farewell to one of the autocross titans.
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

It was great seeing you out there on Saturday, Renee. I think hugs in both directions were greatly appreciated.

My favorite Craig moment: I was leading the Novice course walk at Norton and we were about 150 feet from the end and I hear the PA kick on and Craig says, "Course is hot, send 'em!" I said "OK, everyone, let's move over and off the course" as the first car squealed off the line. When the flyer says "First car out at 8:30", the first car went out at 8:30 when Craig had something to say about it.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Thanks for posting the pics Mako. Seeing Craig with a smile on his face sure brought one to mine. :) Committee meetings will not be the same without the guy sitting at the end of the head table. I''ll miss him.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Kevin Price

Post by Kevin Price »

Craig was the first guy I ever talked to about Autocross, and Renee was the first person I ever met at a Solo event- probably 1999 or so, at El Toro.

Favorite Craig moments are many, but the some of the funniest ones involve language that doesn't belong on a message board. That's allright, Craig wasn't a message board kinda guy. To say he'll be missed doesn't do the guy justice- he was an icon.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Craig was an honorary Web Weenie. He didn't need to post. Because we knew what he'd say. :computer:

Retiring Craig's number while he was still alive was the coolest thing as Mako's photos document. I had the honor of penning the wording for the plaque and its one of those things that is a very special memory for me.
Last edited by Steve Ekstrand on Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Zak Gutmann

Post by Zak Gutmann »

I got the call about 9:00 last night from my mistress herself. That feeling of your gut hitting your privates, the cold sweat, and the "it CAN'T be true" all hit at once. The words just aren't there. It was through both the Angel's warmth and acceptance that I have been given the courage to do many of the things that looks natural to others. I only hope that I will be able to pass along what has been given to me through their example.