Running windows7 on a MacBook

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Re: Running windows7 on a MacBook

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Will Kalman wrote:
Tom Tanquary wrote:I mean, come on, right click and a scroll wheel are THAT hard to come up with?!
You don't want those things when you are busy trying to Think Different! ;)

Even worse is open-source anti-microsoft zealots. I'm working amongst a few now and it's torture. They cannot admit that anything in their system is bad or that anything from Microsoft is good. Complete and total lack of objectivity to the point where it's cult-like. Any time I voice a complaint about some aspect of Linux or Ruby on Rails, I'll never get an admission that something is deficient, I get "well, it's quirky" - they're like politicians! They are not interested in objective analysis because they truly believe that are trying to purge the world of an immoral entity.
Whoever designed the interface on the current MS Word for Windows should be flogged and then boiled in oil.
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

Windows will work just fine on MacBooks (if that wasn't answered in one of the other posts). Apple went over to Intel architecture, so the internals are essentially the same PC vs MAC. The only big difference is the outer shell (and of course, the OS).

Your wife could have just had a bad dell? Most of the dell's I've setup for work don't have any issues initially. Typically, the user does something to screw things up (regardless of mac or pc).

As far as recommendations, all depends on exactly what you want to do w/ it (will determine min specs) & mostly what color/style/look laptop you like.
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

OK, I'm going to admit that something is cooler about Windows 7 then my Mac Snow Leopard OS. 7 comes with some really terrific WALLPAPER !!! Some outstanding and striking architectural photos. :thumbup: :lol:
Bob Beamesderfer

Much as I like the Apple products I own, I'd really have liked to have bought the stock back at the end of 2002, when it was at $7.17 [I think that's split adjusted]. APPL opened today at $301.68, a 4,000% increase.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Yah ... luckily they make a lot of DIFFERENT cool things. On our trip to Canada I was surprised at how packed the Apple stores were and how many people/friends/relatives were using Apple products. Of course it HELPS that THEIR iPhone can be used with ANY of their MANY different cellular providers. (On the other hand, when we had our "off" in a not that remote part of Canada, a number of the people that stopped didn't have cell phones?!)

Verizon iPhone coming at you early next year ... maybe sooner? They're starting to shoot what appears to possibly be Verizon iPhone commercials, from a colleague of a colleague. :?:
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Yah ... luckily they make a lot of DIFFERENT cool things. On our trip to Canada I was surprised at how packed the Apple stores were and how many people/friends/relatives were using Apple products. Of course it HELPS that THEIR iPhone can be used with ANY of their MANY different cellular providers. (On the other hand, when we had our "off" in a not that remote part of Canada, a number of the people that stopped didn't have cell phones?!)

Verizon iPhone coming at you early next year ... maybe sooner? They're starting to shoot what appears to possibly be Verizon iPhone commercials, from a colleague of a colleague. :?:
Just so we're clear as to why those Apples stores were so full; they're not buying computers (the stats show that), they're buying all the other Apple stuff. Also, if it's anything like our Apple stores, I see a whole lotta window shopping (to quote Mike S., "I crack myself up!") and not a lot of buying!

But in the interest of full disclosure: I am now jonesing for a MacBook Pro!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bummer about the Verizon iPhones for all those that own AT&T iPhones: you will have to buy a new phone to use Verizon service. :unimpressed:
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Bill Schenker wrote:I am now jonesing for a MacBook Pro!
Me too.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Stacey and I own a lot of AAPL stock. But none of their computers.... Just iPads and iPods.

When I took over managing Robert's trust I bought him a fair little chunk of AAPL at $245 a share (after buying my AAPL in the 70's). My investing friends thought I was nuts buying at that level. Wait for a pull back they said. Three months later its hit $300. Still makes me nervous, it on a trajectory very soon to pass Exxon-Mobil in market cap which is insane. Its problem now as a stock is that it can't find things to do with the money. I think they are approaching $50Billion or so in cash and investments. They could buy other companies but they probably couldn't maintain margins. They could invest but a lower profit. The more money they stash away the more they drag down their earnings growth and return. They need to give that money to shareholders through buybacks or a dividend. What an amazing problem to have. Too much money.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Yet another typical Mac fan boy. PUHLEASE. Macs are toys, nothing more, nothing else. I love their iPods, accessories, and even I think the iPad is cool (though I have no need for one) like Steve E. mentioned. But a Mac? It's a toy. Every major corp has PCs (regardless of brand). Macs as desktop computers was, is, will always be a niche market.

And like Bill S. mentioned....they're all either in the stores to "window" shop, or get things OTHER than Mac desktops/laptops. Can you say "smoke & mirrors"? But as a company, they are no doubt a juggernaut, and would buy stock in them now even at the current price as it is $300. Kramer on Mad Money predicted it would hit that market back when it was @$225-230. Even I thought that was insane. Now I can easily see it hitting $400. I mean if it were Jonestown, back in the day, I'd be buying stock in "KoolAid" :)
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Bill Schenker wrote:Bummer about the Verizon iPhones for all those that own AT&T iPhones: you will have to buy a new phone to use phone. :unimpressed:
Fixed that for ya' :lol:
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Bill Schenker

Post by Bill Schenker »

Kurt Rahn wrote:
Bill Schenker wrote:Bummer about the Verizon iPhones for all those that own AT&T iPhones: you will have to buy a new phone to use phone. :unimpressed:
Fixed that for ya' :lol:
Lol! :lol:

('Though I must admit I'm ready to throw my CrackBerry Storm phone out the window...)
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Bill Schenker

Post by Bill Schenker »

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:Yet another typical Mac fan boy. PUHLEASE. Macs are toys, nothing more, nothing else. I love their iPods, accessories, and even I think the iPad is cool (though I have no need for one) like Steve E. mentioned. But a Mac? It's a toy. Every major corp has PCs (regardless of brand). Macs as desktop computers was, is, will always be a niche market....
I dunno, Gio. If my Dad says buy a MacBook Pro laptop because it's the best built one out there with the best cust. svc. if something goes wrong, I have to listen...
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Giovanni Jaramillo

Bill Schenker wrote:
Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:Yet another typical Mac fan boy. PUHLEASE. Macs are toys, nothing more, nothing else. I love their iPods, accessories, and even I think the iPad is cool (though I have no need for one) like Steve E. mentioned. But a Mac? It's a toy. Every major corp has PCs (regardless of brand). Macs as desktop computers was, is, will always be a niche market....
I dunno, Gio. If my Dad says buy a MacBook Pro laptop because it's the best built one out there with the best cust. svc. if something goes wrong, I have to listen...
I'm not saying they are buggy hardware, just roll my eyes when Apple Fan-boys drunk off the Kool-Aid think that anything but Apple doesn't work and that having a Mac is like being in heaven/nirvana/the holy land.
Bill Schenker

Post by Bill Schenker »

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:
Bill Schenker wrote:
I'm not saying they are buggy hardware, just roll my eyes when Apple Fan-boys drunk off the Kool-Aid think that anything but Apple doesn't work and that having a Mac is like being in heaven/nirvana/the holy land.
Agreed. And make my flavor Strawberry, please! :lol:
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Bill Schenker

Post by Bill Schenker »

Karl Asseily wrote:Hi Pinky !!!

I have a Macbook Pro 17" (as a matter of fact I'm typing on it now). It has Windows 7 loaded, both in Virtual Machine mode and Bootcamp mode.

I use it in Virtual mode (meaning it runs on top of my native operating system OSX), to view and edit the latest Office files, and generally use programs that are not available on Macs. The program to use for virtualizing is Parallels Desktop 6.

In Bootcamp mode, you reboot the computer straight into Windows. This gives you the benefits of faster speeds and better hardware function usually, but you'll be strictly under Windows, not OSX. This is the best mode if you want to play 3D games, for example.

Overall, Windows 7 works wonders on a macbook pro. Under Parallels, it runs quite fast, provided you allocated enough RAM to it. For me, it's a life saver.

And yes, your Dad is correct. Listen to him.

K.
Thanks for the 411, Karl!! How is it out there in Bunker Land? Everything good? (nice avitar pic., btw!)
Last edited by Bill Schenker on Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Macs as desktop computers was, is, will always be a niche market.
Thankfully an important one. :D

The world needs more Beauty not more lawyers and accountants (sorry Steve/KJ !)

Henry must have 10 Mac's and one PC (for the "accountant") at his studio. :thumbup:

The film/Computer Graphics business use to have to use computers from some company called Silicon Graphics (?!) ... now they just use multi processor Mac towers. A colleague use to work on restoring old films digitally. They had a farm with something like over 100 networked Mac Towers rendering out files.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Mako Koiwai wrote:
Threw me under a bus and I even own a Mac!
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Bob Beamesderfer

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:Yet another typical Mac fan boy. PUHLEASE. Macs are toys, nothing more, nothing else. I love their iPods, accessories, and even I think the iPad is cool (though I have no need for one) like Steve E. mentioned. But a Mac? It's a toy. Every major corp has PCs (regardless of brand). Macs as desktop computers was, is, will always be a niche market.
Toy? That's laughable. Having used both systems for several years, Windows is an awful operating system and a lot of the worst software interfaces I've used were on PC software, both enterprise and off-the-shelf. I wouldn't have a new PC desktop over my six-year-old G5.

What every major corporation has for computers is what they can get cheap and what helps justify the existence of a large IT staff. The quality of Dells I've used is sh#$. The keyboards and mice are the worst crap. And you call a Mac a toy?

A niche market isn't a toy, especially when that niche market is worth $10.3 billion in ticket sales. That doesn't include DVD sales and broadcast revenue for theatrical releases or TV and commercial production. Yeah, just a toy used a niche. Whatever, MicroBoy. :lol:
Bob Beamesderfer

Mako Koiwai wrote:
Macs as desktop computers was, is, will always be a niche market.
Thankfully an important one. :D

Henry must have 10 Mac's and one PC (for the "accountant") at his studio. :thumbup:

The film/Computer Graphics business use to have to use computers from some company called Silicon Graphics (?!) ... now they just use multi processor Mac towers. A colleague use to work on restoring old films digitally. They had a farm with something like over 100 networked Mac Towers rendering out files.
I have a nice Silicon Graphics sweatshirt. :D
Giovanni Jaramillo

Mako Koiwai wrote:The world needs more Beauty not more lawyers and accountants (sorry Steve/KJ !)
Ah so you prefer style over substance. Got it!
Bob Beamesderfer wrote:Toy? That's laughable. Having used both systems for several years, Windows is an awful operating system. I wouldn't have a new PC desktop for my six-year-old G5. What every major corporation has for computers is what they can get cheap and what helps justify the existence of a large IT staff. The quality of Dells I've used is sh#$. The keyboards and mice are the worst crap.
I agree on the keyboards and mice, as even on my brand new DELL, I upgraded to a Microsoft Intelli-type keyboardand Logitech mouse, and ASUS monitor, but the core which is the PC is DELL (close to an Alienware gaming PC). Why would corporations pay for over-priced computers from Apple? And don't get me wrong, I'm no Microsoft fan-boy either, most banks are now running Red-Hat Enterprise Linux on Intel-chip based PCs. I don't know what kind of DELLs you've used in the past but the XPS versions are top-notch
Bob Beamesderfer wrote:And you call a Mac a toy? A niche market isn't a toy, especially when that niche market is worth $10.3 billion in ticket sales. That doesn't include DVD sales and broadcast revenue for theatrical releases or TV and commercial production. Yeah, just a toy used a niche. Whatever, MicroBoy. :lol:
Total f'ing toys. Expensive toys. Now with all that said, yeah it's a slick toy and for surfing the web and watching vids, make photos, and pretty pictures for wallpaper, yeah get a Mac.
Bucky MacConaghy
Car#: 0

Post by Bucky MacConaghy »

I find it amusing that ever since the Mac was released, PC users have always put down Mac users and their machines, whereas Mac users have been much more tolerant of PC users and their machines. I guess if one can't come up with a logical, well-thought-out argument for one's point of view, then use mis-direction and ridicule the other side. (BTW, I AM NOT EVEN HINTING AT ANYTHING OF A POLITICAL NATURE!)

PC enthusiasts have made fun of Macs since day one. An orange computer? Ha! Aqua? Ha! Lime green? HA! PUR-PLE?? Har-de-har! Then the PC world turns around and comes out with ... wait for it ... orange, aqua, lime green and purple computers. "They" made fun of the GUI when the command-line interface was obviously so much better. [/sarcasm] Then Microsoft comes out with ... you guessed it ... a GUI. If the Windows OS was/is so much better than the Mac OS, then why is MS making their user interface so much like Apple's? To gain back all those lost sales from (toy maker) Apple? Or because Apple was right to begin with?

Way back when, a PC user had to have a separate application to change printing from portrait to landscape mode. That has been part of the Mac OS since day one. The PC used to have a printer driver for each application referencing each printer, whereas Mac used one driver for each printer, and all the applications referenced that one driver. Now? Well, you get the picture.

So, I fully expect to be scorned and ridiculed by the PC enthusiasts. But it's OK, it comes with the territory. They scorned and ridiculed Noah, too. Gee, I wonder how that all turned out?

p.s. "Since I use a PC <fanfare> and you use some fruit-named toy <boooooo>, I are smarter than you." Talk about drinking the Kool-Aid! :lol:
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Oh man, I am SO glad I haven't been reading this thread. :lol: Oh platform wars, you're so quaint.

I really need to add facepalm and headshake smilies.
Giovanni Jaramillo

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:Oh man, I am SO glad I haven't been reading this thread. :lol: Oh platform wars, you're so quaint.
It is a riot when the Apple FanBoys get all geeked up and they need to be reminded who's boss! :)
And also if all that Bucky said was true then why isn't Apple dominating the PC market? It's because Microsoft just took over and did it better (at least from a sales/marketing perspective). Also in all the college engineering departments and Comp Sci classes, all the computer languages that students learn they program on Linux O/S on Sun machines or PCs running Windows (i.e. ASP, .NET, Java, C, C++ C#, Oracle PL/SQL, etc...) They don't do it on Macs. :computer:

And don't you find it ironic that a Mac user wants to run Windows (based on the subject title of this thread)? Why does the OP (original poster) need Windows when he's got the Saviour O/S Mac?? Riddle me that Batman :)
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Yes, platform wars aren't any different than they were when it was Commodore 64 vs Atari 800.

I particularly like the barbs about who copied who with graphical user interface elements. It's like early 20th century car makers accusing each other of copying for various car controls and placement (steering wheel, pedals, shifter). In reality, they're logically converging on a standard that everyone can understand and use with only minor adjustment (i.e. wiper stalks, etc).

Giovanni Jaramillo

I LOVE THE IMAGE! gotta send that to a Apple Fanboy freind of mine in China! Also the gaming industry makes games for consoles which in order to play the game you need the console, but besides that hardware, they also make for the PC. The MAC is the last platform (if the game developers think it's worth it) to develop the game on.