El Toro Runways

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Steve Towers
Club: No$
Car#: 87

El Toro Runways

Post by Steve Towers »

An article in today's Orange County Register says the runways will not be torn up.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/park-281 ... l-new.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Re: El Toro Runways

Post by Mako Koiwai »

No mention that we, the PCA, TV Production and other motor sports activity already are helping El Toro make money for the greater community

Perhaps send the writer ... there is a link to his email address at the bottom of his article ... your thoughts on safe motorsports being part of the Great Park.
Aaron Goldsmith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Man, i'm just glad i don't have to be the guy cleaning out those hanger bathrooms, it's like trainspotting in there.
Randy Chase
Club: PSCC
Car#: 98

Post by Randy Chase »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:Man, i'm just glad i don't have to be the guy cleaning out those hanger bathrooms, it's like trainspotting in there.
:shock:

quite the reference.

Back to the original post... I don't see how this would apply to helping us? Seems like they want the hangars and runways for their own purposes.... so they would not be available for motorsport.
http://www.chasecam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; VIDEO + DATA
Official provider to SCCA ProRacing, V8Supercars, Mazdaspeed, and more....
http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Your California dealer for Rossion and Caterham
Steve Towers
Club: No$
Car#: 87

Post by Steve Towers »

Back to the original post... I don't see how this would apply to helping us? Seems like they want the hangars and runways for their own purposes.... so they would not be available for motorsport.
Randy,
I may have been thinking faster than I can type (think at 11, type at 10 wpm) - I posted the article with the thought that recent history says the Irvine City Council (specifically Larry Agran) hasn't a clue as to how to finance the "Great Park". It's my belief that it will be years, if ever, that the runways won't be available for motorsport use. AFAIK motorsports are the ONLY current source of significant income for that acreage. Not tearing up the runways has a threefold benefit for the Park admins. The first is obviously the cost associated with the demo work (that didn't work out well on the first go-around), and second, and maybe more importantly, MCAS El Toro is a superfund site, meaning it has a humongeous amount of toxic stuff (under the runways?) somewhere. Do the site managers actually want to know? Doubt it. Third is the income they currently get from SCCA, PCA, TV commercials, Top Gear, and many others that rent the site. It's Income without much investment.

My belief: The runways will be available for a long time due to lack of funding and political gameplaying. Is "political gameplaying" an oxymoron?
Randy Chase
Car#: 98

Post by Randy Chase »

Good point(s) Steve. We are "buying time."
http://www.chasecam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; VIDEO + DATA
Official provider to SCCA ProRacing, V8Supercars, Mazdaspeed, and more....
http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Your California dealer for Rossion and Caterham
Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Post by Arthur Grant »

Steve Towers wrote:Is "political gameplaying" an oxymoron?

No it's a multi-billion dollar sport.
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Arthur Grant wrote:
Steve Towers wrote:Is "political gameplaying" an oxymoron?

No it's a multi-billion dollar sport.
It's both!

I don't think the Great Park is going to make much progress. Most of the funding is supposed to come Mello-Roos tax paid by those who buy the yet-to-be-built houses. There's an 8.5 month supply of houses nationwide, so it will be a while before Lennar starts anything at El Toro.
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

If anything, this is potential good news that they won't tear up the runways in anticipation of building in the future.
John Fendel
Car#: 23

Post by John Fendel »

I'm resurrecting an old thread.
There was a brief article (attached) in the Saturday OC Register that mentioned the closing of the Antique Market.
In the article it mentions that FivePoint will start demolition of the runways in late June.
Just an FYI.
Attachments
Great Park News Jun 14.pdf
(240.74 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
#ALSaware, GRC Performance, Red Line Oil
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

AMCI had to move base camps because the RVs had to move their storage PROBABLY because they want to work on those way outter tarmacs.

Jay W
John Fendel wrote:I'm resurrecting an old thread.
There was a brief article (attached) in the Saturday OC Register that mentioned the closing of the Antique Market.
In the article it mentions that FivePoint will start demolition of the runways in late June.
Just an FYI.
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:AMCI had to move base camps because the RVs had to move their storage PROBABLY because they want to work on those way outter tarmacs.

Jay W
Actually, there was a fair amount of moving of the RVs going on while we were running this weekend.
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata