Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Scangauge II

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I got a scangauge II for the new Ram CTD. Pretty cool little toy, but its saying I'm getting 26mpg in mostly hiway driving. I don't think so, more like 17.

And this is after changing to the Dieselb setting from Diesela. Before that change it said I made 36mpg on one freeway blast cross town.

So, any of you tech weenies with experience with the SCII know what causes it to read way to high of mileage?
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Jason Flores
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 886

Re: Scangauge II

Post by Jason Flores »

Hey steve,

Just to double check..did youu set the size of your tank on the scan gauge? Also have you run a tank or so through so that you can set up the "fillup" correction. those are usually the 2 things that will give you funky MPG readings. Let me know, this is one of my favorite toys for my Subaru!!!
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Thanks Jason-

Haven't been through a tank yet. I'm going to top off today and then top off early. The 34 gallon tank is so large that without towing, it takes ALONG time to go through a full tank. But I'd like to get it dialed in better before all the upcoming big tows.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Steve Lepper
Club: TCC
Car#: 355

Post by Steve Lepper »

Did you set the fuel type to Diesel? They come out of the box set for gasoline. Fuel tank size is only an issue for your distance-to-empty calcs.

I'm a ScanGauge retailer, (the only one in Orange County) so if you've got any questions I'm happy to help.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

They have two settings, diesela and dieselb. I started out with the recommended diesela and we got the 30+ readings on a 100mile trip. Next day I reset it to dieselb and we got 26 on a 100mi trip.

I did notice a strange thing. TPS gauge is sometimes blank.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Steve Lepper
Club: TCC
Car#: 355

Post by Steve Lepper »

for DIESELa and DIESELb, the trick to determining which one to use is this:

Set one gauge display to GPH (fuel flow in Gallons Per Hour.) Note the reading at idle. either rev the engine in neutral, (1500 rpm in enough) or watch it when accelerating: if that value goes up as revs/load increase, use DIESELa: if it goes down or stays exactly the same, use DIESELb.

Also, if you have non-stock tires, you need to change the speed percentage to reflect actual road speed: that's under MODE/SETUP/SPEED and you go up or down by percentage points. You can correct using a GPS, or by using revs/mile for your tire size vs. the OE tire.