Canadian GP

Post by Jeff Shyu »

WOW.. what a race!!!
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Re: Canadian GP

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Worth the rain wait ... good thing I was watching it live ... because my DVR turned off twice, it went so long. One of the announcers said it was the longest GP ever :thumbup:
Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

An amazing finish!
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Ran on different network, DVR didn't pick it up :(

Watched a previously DVR'd Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge race and managed to watch a whole F1 season's worth of Actual Racing and Passing (without ridiculous artificially induced "passing") instead. Why do I watch F1 again?
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

You missed a great one ... the reason we DO watch F1
Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Post by Arthur Grant »

Shui took fourth I'm happy.
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

F****** FOX network!!! Remember you have to have 2 season pass managers for Formula 1 (Speed, and Fox). Why? Because for 5 races during the summer ONLY the actual race is on Fox, the practice and qualifying are still on Speed. So I did that. The problem is that I didn't set that pass for adding an extra 1hr and a half. Even with that amount of time I may not have seen the finish but still would've saw most of it.

And now I read on Formula1.com what a thrilling race it was! Damn you FOX!

So far the past 3yrs F1 racing has been entertaining for sure.
Jeff Shyu
Car#: 0

Post by Jeff Shyu »

I really don't think even 1.5 extra hours was enough to cover it.

it was a lengthy delay. I went out, worked on the yard, came back, had a few beers, passed out for an indeterminate amount of time, and woke up with 20 laps to go :lol:
Doug Kott
Club: CASOC
Car#: 300

Post by Doug Kott »

If someone had told you before the race that the winner would pit five times, have a collision with his teammate, incur a drive-through penalty and at one point, be running as low as 21st place...

Nice drive, Jenson!
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I always record an hour long... Not nearly enough. :( Tuesday is the replay, though I know all the details by now. :(
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

My DVR didn't pickup that it was on Fox either, but I turned on and they were 20 minutes into the rain delay so I only missed the first 26 laps, fewer than half of which were under the green flag.

Jenson's last on Lap 40 and first on the last lap. Great drive with a little luck thrown in. Vettel seems to get a little skitterish under pressure.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

When you have as big a lead as Vettel has, 2nd place to a guy with way fewer points seems like a good play to me. Lewis Hamilton could use just a bit of skitterishness.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Jeff Shyu

Post by Jeff Shyu »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:My DVR didn't pickup that it was on Fox either, but I turned on and they were 20 minutes into the rain delay so I only missed the first 26 laps, fewer than half of which were under the green flag.

Jenson's last on Lap 40 and first on the last lap. Great drive with a little luck thrown in. Vettel seems to get a little skitterish under pressure.
only lap that matters.. :thumbup:
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

only lap that matters
We're seeing a lot of that this year, ie. Indy and the Coca Cola 600 on the same day, incidents at the last corner of the race.

And remember when Hamilton made that last race of the year, last corner pass that gave him the World Championship over Ferrari ... and what about Zinardi's last lap pass at Laguna Seca going into the Cork Screw, passing on the dirt in a Indy car. Wasn't that for a Championship?
Tin Bui

Post by Tin Bui »

It was an awesome race. I was in grand stand 24 at the hair pin.

Boy was it rainny and cold! But the racing was awesome. I was rooting for Kobayashi and LRGP who I was attending with an engineer who works there.

I thought Vettel had it until Button comes storming through.
Jeff Shyu

Post by Jeff Shyu »

i'm not a button fan, nor of vettel, but more of button than vettel, so I was happy.

i was thrilled to see schumi in 2nd, but I knew that it wouldn't hold.. :(
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

My Tivo didn't get it all obviously, so I found the BBC coverage on torrent and watched the whole thing yesterday. I knew the result beforehand, but those last few laps still gave me the chills. Fantastic.

I don't mind Varsha, Matchett and Hobbs, but Brundle, Coulthard and Eddie Jordan made a refreshing change.

*JB fan*
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Will Kalman

Post by Will Kalman »

I just watched the replay on Speed..... meh.

Sure it's exciting on the surface because lots of (unexpected) things were happening but it's only because of extraordinary conditions, not because of the nature of the series. F1 races in the rain are usually pretty exciting. And DRS is still a really bad joke that only creates *fake* passing.

It's still too much of a perfect parade. The wet conditions ruin that perfection and bring out real racing where bravery can be so amazing or so disastrous. Other sports cars series give you that in every race, rain or shine.

But I'll still watch F1 to see if other teams can improve their marching in the parade }:)

And I still say get rid of the wings entirely so the cars and drivers can race instead of the aerodynamicists. Increased braking zones, less car-to-car aero interference, etc. Then you'll have real passing!
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

And I still say get rid of the wings entirely so the cars and drivers can race
That GRID show on SPEED pointed out that Formula Fords have resisted wings for exactly that reason
Arthur Grant

Post by Arthur Grant »

F1 doesn't want to be known as slow, if you get rid of wings and ground effects you have a car that will be slower that say and Indy Car. Something they don't want. Plus you would expose the drivers true skill level. You don't see as many F1 drivers playing in sports cars or rally cars as they did in the 60's through 90's. When you do see them, they are often not nearly as fast as you would expect. They are very good at what they do, pilot an F1 machine that is a ground based rocketship but driving in traffic through mixed classes of cars isn't as comfortable.
Will Kalman

Post by Will Kalman »

Arthur Grant wrote:F1 doesn't want to be known as slow, if you get rid of wings and ground effects you have a car that will be slower that say and Indy Car. Something they don't want. Plus you would expose the drivers true skill level. You don't see as many F1 drivers playing in sports cars or rally cars as they did in the 60's through 90's. When you do see them, they are often not nearly as fast as you would expect. They are very good at what they do, pilot an F1 machine that is a ground based rocketship but driving in traffic through mixed classes of cars isn't as comfortable.
The whole "F1 should be the fastest, bestest, most technologically advanced series of all" manta doesn't really hold water. If so, why the limitations on tire size (or indeed, spec tires!), aero size, traction control, ABS, active suspension, boost, limitation of exotic tech/materials, etc etc etc? Well, probably because we could design cars that would kill the drivers through excessive g loading! So the cars are designed to a certain maximum capability. Where you draw the line is somewhat arbitrary. And what do you do when another formula, like Indy Car, starts to approach the same human limits?

Besides, what is the general fascination with absolute speed other than for spec jockeying? You can't really measure or detect it as a spectator, so it's arbitrary. If they ran a series where the top speeds and g loads were 25% higher and all the teams were still on equal footing, would it be "better"? What if we lower the speeds and g's? Is it "worse"?

Watch SSC or SSB at the Runoffs and tell me that's not riveting - the slowest stock car class probably in almost all of road racing. Passing, mistakes, bravery, stupidity, and miracles in almost every lap.

Let me ask you another way - how many people have you described autocrossing to and they ask "How fast do you go?" and how often do you have to rationalize 60mph as still exciting? The Racing is about the Racing, not the numbers.

BTW, Racecar Engineering magazine has articles on F1 and NASCAR side-by-side with no apologies to either. The technology, creativity, and engineering employed by the NASCAR guys to get what they do out of those cars given the limitations is AMAZING and on-par with any series.

And to keep it real, I think the biggest impediment to losing the wings is in the marketing department when people will say "That's not what an F1 car looks like!" Another example from NASCAR - when they went to the Car Of Tomorrow with splitters and wings instead of airdams and spoilers, comments were made "That just doesn't look like a race car" - Really, seriously?
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I had the same problem with my DVR as everyone else had, and I was really pissed off until I watched the Speed rebroadcast. I walked around with my fingers in my ears going "LALALALA" for the last couple days and didn't open this thread, so I had no idea what happened...didn't even know it rained. Best part was they skipped the entire 2+ hour delay and went right back to the restart. So I reiterate what Jeff started the thread with: WOW!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Will Kalman wrote:And what do you do when another formula, like Indy Car, starts to approach the same human limits?
I remember a couple years ago where a couple of IndyCar drivers were generating so many Gs around Texas Speedway, some of them started to black out. I can't remember what they did to slow them down, but that's scary. I kind of feel curmudgeonly saying it, but I agree with Will: less driver aids and more driver skill. If they want to have an extreme engineering competition, then call it that and continue accordingly. That being said, I'll take DRS, KERS or whatever else they want to throw at it, as long as it makes the races more interesting.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Arthur Grant

Post by Arthur Grant »

I am not arguing the you shouldnt lose the wings or that F1 is truely the best technolgy. Most recent changes have been made to control cost so they have a full field, and have gone to things like spec tires becuase no one feels the money to compete is worth the cost. It also adds expense to the teams. That said go to any car forum or F1 forum and listen to the rants on technology. Some of the best racing I see is in karts. The wing does make a great place to put the sponsor name.

If you want good racing at a top level watch ALMS. Le Mans was spectacular. F3000 is good too if you can find it.
Will Kalman

Post by Will Kalman »

Arthur Grant wrote:I am not arguing the you shouldnt lose the wings or that F1 is truely the best technolgy. Most recent changes have been made to control cost so they have a full field, and have gone to things like spec tires becuase no one feels the money to compete is worth the cost.
My main point is that higher speed does not automatically mean better racing. Lose the aero and braking zones and passing opportunities will increase a great deal with no artificial elements like DRS. With the aero, braking zones are impossibly short to allow a pass.

I can take or leave spec tire so long the outrageously expensive tire is not needed to win. I think a tire war is a good thing, and a price cap is probably a reasonable thing to implement.

I have to laugh at F1's attempts to control costs- by virtually re-inventing the rules every couple years. At least the teams can only get to the larger, more obvious - and usually - cheaper solutions within a system. In a perverted way, it works.

I'd like to see KERS expand beyond it's current energy storage limits (and the one-charge-per-lap rule) - it's a great technology development area that also applies to the general automotive industry.

Speaking of KERS - does anyone else find it strange that the KERS bar on the on-screen telemetry goes instantly to full-charge when they pass the line? If they expended their KERS before the line, where did the energy come from without a chance to recover energy in braking? More artificial influence or just TV telemetry simplification?