BMW shop recommendation for pre-purchase inspection

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Mihail Milkov

BMW shop recommendation for pre-purchase inspection

Post by Mihail Milkov »

I am thinking of buying a 2008 BMW 135i with 61,000 miles. Could you recommend me a BMW shop around West LA or San Fernando Valley, where I can have the vehicle inspected? The more comprehensive the inspection, the better. Some things on my mind are the condition of the turbos, clutch wear and possibly checking the ECU software and engine operating conditions (i.e. check for overrevs).

Thanks in advance for all recommendations!

Mihail
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Re: BMW shop recommendation for pre-purchase inspection

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Mihail Milkov wrote:I am thinking of buying a 2008 BMW 135i with 61,000 miles. Could you recommend me a BMW shop around West LA or San Fernando Valley, where I can have the vehicle inspected? The more comprehensive the inspection, the better. Some things on my mind are the condition of the turbos, clutch wear and possibly checking the ECU software and engine operating conditions (i.e. check for overrevs).

Mihail
Believe it or not, Car Max is a great place for vehicle inspections. They have a comprehensive set of tests and the inspection is free.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Mihail Milkov wrote:I am thinking of buying a 2008 BMW 135i with 61,000 miles. Could you recommend me a BMW shop around West LA or San Fernando Valley, where I can have the vehicle inspected? The more comprehensive the inspection, the better. Some things on my mind are the condition of the turbos, clutch wear and possibly checking the ECU software and engine operating conditions (i.e. check for overrevs).

Mihail
Hey Mihail, see the previous thread --> Looking for a BMW Repair Shop!
There I give a recommendation (they are in Gardena), but here's one on the West Side where I used to go (a bit on the expensive side but standard rate for pre-purchase inspection). Renee Angel knows him very well :)

GT International Motors Ltd.
2221 Colby Ave.,
West Los Angeles, CA 90064
(310)-575-4249
Owner/Mechanic: John Norris (Cal Club member, road racer)
Giovanni Jaramillo

Kurt Ra wrote:Believe it or not, Car Max is a great place for vehicle inspections. They have a comprehensive set of tests and the inspection is free.
No offense Kurt but I would NEVER take my car to a Car Max to inspect a foreign car, especially a BMW with all intricate electronic components that the newer ones have. No Car Max mechanic will match the visual eye experience of an experienced BMW mechanic.
Mihail Milkov

Post by Mihail Milkov »

Thanks, guys. I think GT International Motors is what the seller has used in the past :). Have you had any experience with Bimmers Clinic in Reseda? I used to bring my E36 328is to them years ago.
Giovanni Jaramillo

Mihail Milkov wrote:Thanks, guys. I think GT International Motors is what the seller has used in the past :). Have you had any experience with Bimmers Clinic in Reseda? I used to bring my E36 328is to them years ago.
I know of Bimmers Clinic and they can be even more expensive for an "independent" shop. Never used them but the LA chapter used to hold some of monthly meetings in their shop as they are a sponsor. But for a pre-purchase inspection they'd be fine as most should charge the same rate. If the car was serviced by GT Int'l Motors, then the car is fine but definitely get an inspection from another independent such as Southbay Independent or Bimmers Clinic.
Mike Shin
Car#: 352

Post by Mike Shin »

Here's another awesome independent BMW shop to add to the list.

DTM Auto Salon
1980 East Walnut St.
Pasadena, CA 91107

The owner Dan Taylor is a former Sr. Service Advisor at New Century BMW, he knows how to take care of his customers!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/dtm-auto-salon-pasadena-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John Fendel
Club: CASOC
Car#: 23

Post by John Fendel »

Another shop that hasn't been mentioned is:
Avus Autosport
312 Vine St
Glendale
(818) 500-7663
I've dealt with them for years and some of the people that work there have been involved with the local BMW club.
#ALSaware, GRC Performance, Red Line Oil