Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Robert Puertas
Club: PSCC
Car#: 44

Senna, The Movie

Post by Robert Puertas »

Just saw Senna, the movie.

Great movie, and I think even if you weren't a fan of Ayrton or even racing, you would enjoy it immensely.

Make an effort when it hits the theaters up in LA in the next couple of weeks. I can't recommend it enough.

Thanks to Mazdaspeed who arranged for a special viewing of the movie and my friend Bob Beamesderfer for inviting me to join him.
Giovanni Jaramillo

Re: Senna, The Movie

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Robert Puertas wrote:Just saw Senna, the movie.

Great movie, and I think even if you weren't a fan of Ayrton or even racing, you would enjoy it immensely.

Make an effort when it hits the theaters up in LA in the next couple of weeks. I can't recommend it enough.

Thanks to Mazdaspeed who arranged for a special viewing of the movie and my friend Bob Beamesderfer for inviting me to join him.
Hey Robert, yeah the posters are on billboards around me in the West LA, Brentwood, Santa Monica area. Movie opens up tomorrow. Will definitely go see it. Can't wait. Heard all the great reviews.
Earl Merz
Club: No$
Car#: 40

Post by Earl Merz »

Watched it on Netflix instant streaming when it was put up briefly. Really liked it. Wouldn't mind going to the theater to watch it again.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE with Nav (need it to find my way around the course)
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I've gotta see it on the big screen and hear it in loud surround at the theater. I think I'm going to see it at The Landmark next week. I'll probably buy the DVD too.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Opens 8/19 at the Edwards Westpark in Irvine at Alton and Culver.

Great film, which I'm going to go see again. Even Lois is interested and she's not a motorsports fan.
Jeff Shyu
Car#: 0

Post by Jeff Shyu »

heard a review on NPR.. 2 women critics, neither of whom are motorsport fans, and both really liked it.

I'll have to check it out soon, after my housework is done.. :evil:
Bob Beamesderfer

Jeff Shyu wrote:heard a review on NPR.. 2 women critics, neither of whom are motorsport fans, and both really liked it.

I'll have to check it out soon, after my housework is done.. :evil:

Don't wait too long; the engagements are two weeks to start.
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I'm going to the 7:20 show tonight at the Landmark, if anyone wants to meet me there. My cell is six 2 six 8 one eight 1 eight seven 4.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Giovanni Jaramillo

Kurt Ra wrote:I'm going to the 7:20 show tonight at the Landmark, if anyone wants to meet me there. My cell is six 2 six 8 one eight 1 eight seven 4.
I'll also be seeing it tonight but the late show (9:45). Enjoy the movie.
Giovanni Jaramillo

Just saw the movie.............wow. Emotional, powerful, and riveting documentary. He truly was a "god" amongst men in terms of racing. No politics, no traction control, no electronic nannies. This guy puts Schumacher to shame. Sad @Imola in 1994. I highly recommend this movie without a doubt and watch it on the big screen.
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:Just saw the movie.............wow. Emotional, powerful, and riveting documentary. He truly was a "god" amongst men in terms of racing. No politics, no traction control, no electronic nannies. This guy puts Schumacher to shame. Sad @Imola in 1994. I highly recommend this movie without a doubt and watch it on the big screen.
+1 I can still remember the day he died. Since we're 8 or so hours ahead, the news of his death had already broken, so I watched that race knowing how it was going to end up. I felt like I lost someone I know. It was very strange. The movie brought all that back again. The filmmaker did a great job covering different subtexts and building up to that seemingly cursed weekend where he and Ratzenberger died, Reubens had a scary crash and there was a potentially horrible crash right at the start of the race when a car that stalled was hit from behind by a car a few rows back going probably 100 mph. I highly recommend this film.
==============
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

This girl got a Senna tattoo after watching the movie:

http://jalopnik.com/5832287/this-girl-g ... dium=email" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:Opens 8/19 at the Edwards Westpark in Irvine at Alton and Culver.

Great film, which I'm going to go see again. Even Lois is interested and she's not a motorsports fan.
Thanks for the heads up Bob. We'll see it this weekend.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Jeff Shyu
Car#: 0

Post by Jeff Shyu »

Rick Brown wrote:This girl got a Senna tattoo after watching the movie:

http://jalopnik.com/5832287/this-girl-g ... dium=email" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
haha.. did you guys continue on and read the comments?
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

I thought it was pretty good — killer in-car footage, solid narrative structure telling the man's life story in racing, and it does a good job at showing how skilled Senna was as a driver thanks to several anecdotes centered around key races in his career. I also liked the behind the scenes in F1 — the driver's meetings, the rules, the politics, and the personalities — it really didn't feel all that much different from our own meetings. :lol:

However, I didn't think there were enough interviews with the family and team members to really get a sense of who Senna was as a person. I think that's where the extensive of use of archival material limited the structure. By the end of the film, I felt I only got a brief glimpse of the man behind the legend. Definitely worth a watch, though.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
George Schilling
Club Representative

Leonard Cachola wrote:I thought it was pretty good — killer in-car footage, solid narrative structure telling the man's life story in racing, and it does a good job at showing how skilled Senna was as a driver thanks to several anecdotes centered around key races in his career. I also liked the behind the scenes in F1 — the driver's meetings, the rules, the politics, and the personalities — it really didn't feel all that much different from our own meetings. :lol:

However, I didn't think there were enough interviews with the family and team members to really get a sense of who Senna was as a person. I think that's where the extensive of use of archival material limited the structure. By the end of the film, I felt I only got a brief glimpse of the man behind the legend. Definitely worth a watch, though.
Great review Leonard. Possible future host spot on At the Movies. :thumbup:
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
George Schilling
Club Representative

George Schilling wrote:
Leonard Cachola wrote:I thought it was pretty good — killer in-car footage, solid narrative structure telling the man's life story in racing, and it does a good job at showing how skilled Senna was as a driver thanks to several anecdotes centered around key races in his career. I also liked the behind the scenes in F1 — the driver's meetings, the rules, the politics, and the personalities — it really didn't feel all that much different from our own meetings. :lol:

Great review Leonard. Possible future host spot on At the Movies. :thumbup:
I'll stick with the a movie page review........RIVETING!
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

George Schilling wrote:
I'll stick with the a movie page review........RIVETING!
Yeah, it was that, too. :lol:
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Ira Cruz
Club: No$
Car#: 789

Post by Ira Cruz »

The best part for me was the end when Senna was asked "who was the best driver he competed with?" He mentioned it was a driver during his gokart days, when it was pure racing and no politics. The driver is Terry Fullerton, a british guy about 2-3 years older than Senna. Fullerton was the world champion then during the late 70's. I had the chance to compete against him in a karting event in Hong Kong. I later on met up with him in the Philippines when he brought his own team and chassis, :D this was in the mid 90's. He got married to a Filipina and stayed permanently in the Philippines. Last I know of he was teaching kids to gokart and partnered with some Japanese outfit building karts.

Just had to write this cuz i guess thats my connection with Senna somehow.... :D
Giovanni Jaramillo

Ira Cruz wrote:The best part for me was the end when Senna was asked "who was the best driver he competed with?" He mentioned it was a driver during his gokart days, when it was pure racing and no politics. The driver is Terry Fullerton, a british guy about 2-3 years older than Senna. Fullerton was the world champion then during the late 70's. I had the chance to compete against him in a karting event in Hong Kong. I later on met up with him in the Philippines when he brought his own team and chassis, :D this was in the mid 90's. He got married to a Filipina and stayed permanently in the Philippines. Last I know of he was teaching kids to gokart and partnered with some Japanese outfit building karts.

Just had to write this cuz i guess thats my connection with Senna somehow.... :D
I loved that part because he basically gave the finger to all the F1 drivers that he raced again and said to them "you were not even WORTHY of a compliment" :)
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote: I loved that part because he basically gave the finger to all the F1 drivers that he raced again and said to them "you were not even WORTHY of a compliment" :)
I'm pretty sure he was just giving the finger to one F1 driver in particular...
Giovanni Jaramillo

Robert Puertas wrote:
Giovanni Jaramillo wrote: I loved that part because he basically gave the finger to all the F1 drivers that he raced again and said to them "you were not even WORTHY of a compliment" :)
My guess he's from FRANCE :)
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

And Coneheads are from FRANCE!
Did Senna hate on Autocrossers?

Okay, I'll take my meds now.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bob Beamesderfer

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:
Robert Puertas wrote:
My guess he's from FRANCE :)

Keep in mind he and Prost reconciled and Prost works for the Senna Foundation.
Giovanni Jaramillo

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:Keep in mind he and Prost reconciled and Prost works for the Senna Foundation.
I knew Prost was on the foundation. Didn't know that they reconciled...or at least it wasn't mentioned in the movie.