hobby astronomers? i need help locating the milky way

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Jeff Shyu
Car#: 0

hobby astronomers? i need help locating the milky way

Post by Jeff Shyu »

like the title says, I need help locating the milky way relative to california, on the night of Dec 23rd, somewhere between Los Angeles and San Jose.

I realize that once i get far enough off the freeway, and let my eyes adjust, I'd be able to see it, but I want to be able to take a picture, and that means composing the picture somewhat, which also means I really need to know a general direction, so I can figure out if I want to drive up via I-5, or 101.

all google searches seem to focus on "how to locate the milky way" with the naked eye OR some crazy triangulation method of looking between x and y stars, which I would not have any clue how to spot.. >_<

so, any help from here?.. :)
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Re: hobby astronomers? i need help locating the milky way

Post by George Schilling »

Get away from the city, look up, you'll see it! :lol:
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Jeff Shyu

Post by Jeff Shyu »

George Schilling wrote:Get away from the city, look up, you'll see it! :lol:
:roll: i know THAT. the idea is to know where it is, so i can frame the picture appropriately. ie, if the milky way is going to be on the eastern sky, it'd be kinda pointless to drive up 101, where I'd just be pointed at trees / hillside.

the opposite is true, if it's on the western sky, and I drive up I-5, I'd just have fields in the picture.

Christine found this pretty neat program though, Stellarium. according to the program, the milky way will be visible on the low western horizon and gradually move northward on the night of the 23rd.. :)
John Coffey
Club: PSCC
Car#: 250

Post by John Coffey »

Candy aisle at 7-11. I think its a buck.
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

I use Stellarium for my astronomy viewing and photography. It's a great program!

The "classic" Milky Way shot is of the summer sky when we're looking towards the galactic core. Stellarium doesn't show the Milky Way as obviously as you'd like but by turning up the threshold for star visibility, it looks like you'll have a nice view of it to the Southeast, stretching up over head towards the Northwest. Even if you're unsure, take a big wide-angle shot at high ISO and you'll get an idea of your framing on the LCD. You may be able to do this from the city, depending on your local light pollution and haze.

Remember, if you're shooting with a stationary camera, you'll want to keep your exposures short enough that you don't get star trails. Unless you want star trails, of course, which can be cool.

Found some more info: http://homepage.mac.com/rarendt/Galaxy/youcansee.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For fun: my shot of the Ring Nebula (M57) last summer.
30 seconds, 2000mm @ f/10, Canon T1i
Don Salyers
Club: No$
Car#: 42

Post by Don Salyers »

Jeff, we are the Milky Way, and everything visable is the Milky Way. That band of brighter stars can be seen, as Will said, from SE to NW. Good source of info:

http://www.universetoday.com/23173/the- ... rom-earth/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don
Jeff Shyu

Post by Jeff Shyu »

thanks guys! very informative. seeing the pages, I've decided that I'll travel via 101 and try my luck at photos along the coast.. :)
Tom Tanquary
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 705

Post by Tom Tanquary »

try this page http://www.the-nextlevel.com/tnl/entrie ... -Milky-Way

Also if you like to watch crap go whizzing by overhead at night try http://www.heavens-above.com
Last edited by Tom Tanquary on Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[youtubeShortLink][/youtubeShortLink]"Our intelligence grew faster than our wisdom.... "
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Get into the mountains or desert at elevation, away from city lights. Look up. It will be brutally obvious.