Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Tom Tanquary
Solo Safety Steward
Club: PSCC
Car#: 705

DC to AC Inverter Help

Post by Tom Tanquary »

I have an Exeltech inverter in my work van, dual channel 2KW. It really hasn't worked for years. So I thought I should get it fixed.

HA

I can't find a place that even knows what an inverter is. Some marine places know but they only deal with boats. And no one, no one, knows where I can get one repaired.
Exeltech is in Texas and they don't seem to know about service. The RV places I've called actually know what an inverter is but don't deal with them outside an RV.

Does anyone know of a place that can put an inverter in a vehicle? Or even know what one is?
[youtubeShortLink][/youtubeShortLink]"Our intelligence grew faster than our wisdom.... "
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Re: DC to AC Inverter Help

Post by Rick Brown »

Ask Eric Clements, he researched the one in the timing motorhome.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

That's not a good sign - when the manufacturer can't give you an option for service - and I *know* Exeltech makes a premium product.

Will they repair it if you ship it back to them?
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

For the install, you might want to call FamVan. That's the place you can see off the 405 near Frys with 10,000 Ford E-vans.

I've never used their service, but I know they do all that 'work van' retrofitting. If nothing else you can get a price quote and some advice.

I don't know inverts well, but I know they've been rapidly improving and coming down in price over the last decade. Most aren't worth repairing, which is probably why you're having trouble finding someone to do that.

Jay W
Tom Tanquary
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 705

Post by Tom Tanquary »

I tried FamVan and they really didn't know anything about inverters - don't install them or serve them.

I find this so hard to believe. i must have called 50 places and no one knows what I'm talking about. The RV places know what they are in theory but don't know anything about them. I'm stunned.

Exeltech finally got back to me and they are willing to repair the unit if I send it to them. The thing weighs like 30 pounds so it'll be a fortune to send it to Texas. And it's 14 years old. I'd gladly buy a new one if anyone could installed it. But apparently on one does.

Am I missing something here?

t
[youtubeShortLink][/youtubeShortLink]"Our intelligence grew faster than our wisdom.... "