Timing light

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Timing light

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Does an inductive timing light gun need to be hooked to the car's battery or will any 12-14v source do?

Jay W
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Re: Timing light

Post by George Schilling »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:Does an inductive timing light gun need to be hooked to the car's battery or will any 12-14v source do?

Jay W
Any 12v dc power source should do but you may need to ground the timing light. Try it and see.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

George Schilling wrote:
Jayson Woodruff wrote:Does an inductive timing light gun need to be hooked to the car's battery or will any 12-14v source do?

Jay W
Any 12v dc power source should do but you may need to ground the timing light. Try it and see.
Or...you might have to ground strap the 12V source neg to the car's chassis. The timing light could have an insulated body.
Jayson Woodruff

Yeah that makes sense now. I was thinking about my clamp on amp meter not needing a ground point.

And the gun has a plastic case.

Jay W
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

But if I had to bet money...I suspect you won't need a ground. I think the inductance loop will sense current flow as magnetic flux. There is no electrical circuit involving the car. Maybe.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Bill Martin wrote:But if I had to bet money...I suspect you won't need a ground. I think the inductance loop will sense current flow as magnetic flux. There is no electrical circuit involving the car. Maybe.
That's my position. And I'm unanimous in that.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Jayson Woodruff

Bill Martin wrote:But if I had to bet money...I suspect you won't need a ground. I think the inductance loop will sense current flow as magnetic flux. There is no electrical circuit involving the car. Maybe.
Yeah, the priciple of my inductive amp meter. But the timing light needs to be highly accurate, so maybe the floating ground would hurt that.

I'll test it out both ways. I found a 12v point in my engine bay just for such purposes (actually I knew it was there, but the protection cap looked like a proprietary connector until I figured I could unsnap it).

Jay W
Pete Loney
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 777

Post by Pete Loney »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:
Yeah, the priciple of my inductive amp meter. But the timing light needs to be highly accurate, so maybe the floating ground would hurt that.

I'll test it out both ways. I found a 12v point in my engine bay just for such purposes (actually I knew it was there, but the protection cap looked like a proprietary connector until I figured I could unsnap it).

Jay W
Spare 12V battery would solve this right?
2021 Season: 777 ES | 1999 Miata, 10th Anniversary #3987/7500
MIATAROADSTER.COM
Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward
Club: No$
Car#: 30

Post by Eric Clements »

It will work with external power. Well, mine does.
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:
Bill Martin wrote:I found a 12v point in my engine bay just for such purposes (actually I knew it was there, but the protection cap looked like a proprietary connector until I figured I could unsnap it).

Jay W
If were talking the Prius... that little red flip cap in the fuse box is also where you jump start the car.... don't go messing with your battery 12 volt battery directly, unless you want to mess with the three phase electronics in your car.

You will find a large metal post near the head that sticks up, that's the official jump start ground point too, within easy reach of most jumper cable split ends without having to tear them farther apart.

All in the manual.... but who reads those?
Jayson Woodruff

Miata.

I doubt you can set the timing in the prius. I have "jumped" it with one of our little timing light batteries though.

Jay W
Craig Naylor wrote:
Jayson Woodruff wrote:
Bill Martin wrote:I found a 12v point in my engine bay just for such purposes (actually I knew it was there, but the protection cap looked like a proprietary connector until I figured I could unsnap it).

Jay W
If were talking the Prius... that little red flip cap in the fuse box is also where you jump start the car.... don't go messing with your battery 12 volt battery directly, unless you want to mess with the three phase electronics in your car.

You will find a large metal post near the head that sticks up, that's the official jump start ground point too, within easy reach of most jumper cable split ends without having to tear them farther apart.

All in the manual.... but who reads those?