Vehicle Inspection When Coming In From Out Of State

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Chris Hofmann
Car#: 501

Vehicle Inspection When Coming In From Out Of State

Post by Chris Hofmann »

So, Im trying to get my car (currently South Carolina tagged) some Cali plates. Already changed exhaust and took some of the vinyl off, hoping that getting tags will get the Torrance police to stop following me around.

I believe the car will pass smog with the new exhaust on it, so not worried there.
Already have a Cali Drivers license and insurance

But what worries me is the "vehicle inspection" because i have heard everything from they will just check the vin, to them ripping into cars coming from other states. My car was legal in Pennsylvania and South Carolina, but just worried out here. It doesnt have seatbelts or airbags anymore- 5 point harnesses for both seats, and the steering wheel comes off (quick release setup) So there is an airbag light on when you start the car since they are disconnected and removed. Car also does not have its original engine anymore....

Am I going to have a hard time getting plates? I see tons of race modded cars rolling around the South bay... so there has to be some way to be legal, just looking for info so I cna get this handled next month.

Thanks.
A1 Higher Graphics | Clutchmasters | CobaltNation | CrateEngineDepot | DEI | GoPro | GoPuck | PLWA | Rockwell Time | Slick Products | SpyOptics | Trackspec Motorsports | ZZPerformance
#501 Chevrolet Cobalt
Bobby Beyer

Re: Vehicle Inspection When Coming In From Out Of State

Post by Bobby Beyer »

None of the guys I know who changed from Michigan to Cali plates have had anything more than a smog check with the referee.

The changed engine is gonna be a bit complicated as there are quite a few rules you need to follow regarding that. If its a swapped car ie Civic with a Acura motor or a RX7 with a LS1, it must be from a passenger car and not a truck, the emissions can be no worse than the original motor, and all the emissions equipment from the swapped motor must remain in place. To get approval for this you must go to a referee station and have them approve the swap.

The quick release and 5 point harness aren't going to have you fail an emissions inspection, but at least with the 5 point harness its not necessarily illegal.

Now I'm not saying you do this, but if it were me, and it wasn't a DD, I'd leave the car South Carolina registered, just for the simple hassle of not having to deal with smog.
"Promise mediocrity. Deliver just slightly better." - Jarrett Bellini
Chris Hofmann

Post by Chris Hofmann »

Sadly it is a DD.

And it came with a 2.2L engine, and i put another, built 2.2L in it....

So if i pass smog, do i just goto the DMV to get plates? The whole process out here is a bit confusing.....
A1 Higher Graphics | Clutchmasters | CobaltNation | CrateEngineDepot | DEI | GoPro | GoPuck | PLWA | Rockwell Time | Slick Products | SpyOptics | Trackspec Motorsports | ZZPerformance
#501 Chevrolet Cobalt
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

I wouldn't consider a built stock motor an issue, unless you have some crazy PTW and ring end gaps, just make sure the car is nice and hot before you attempt to smog it.

Yeah basically, get the car to pass smog first, and make sure it has insurance, once that's done head to the DMV for the actual registration process.
"Promise mediocrity. Deliver just slightly better." - Jarrett Bellini
Chris Hofmann

Post by Chris Hofmann »

Yea, found a place in torrance that will pass me if it works - they wont nail me for having the aftermarket parts on. So gonna try that monday and then go try for plates.
#501 Chevrolet Cobalt