Used/New Travel Trailer WTB

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Pete Loney
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 777

Re: Used/New Travel Trailer WTB

Post by Pete Loney »

George Schilling wrote:Maybe I'm just an old curmudgeon Pete, but here's a little food for thought before you pull the trigger.

Consider this:
  • For the $6500 purchase price, you can stay about 100 nights in a 3* or better hotel if you use a service like Priceline or Hotwire
    If you stay in a hotel, you could load up your Miata and actually have fun getting there and while your there
    Add in the cost of the campground and the additional gas to tow a trailer, and a nice hotel is paid for
    The second happiest day in anyone's life is the day they buy that trailer/boat/airplane........the happiest is when they sell it.

On the plus side:
  • You'll have all those fond memories of being cooped up in a small trailer
    Those ford memories of packing and cleaning it, not to mention the daily memory of watching it deteriorate while you're storing it at home
    And the memory or hanging out parked with rows of other trailers, meeting new friends, and chatting about all the hassle you went through to get there
    The relief you'll feel when you finally get rid of it
OK, I'll go crawl under my rock now! }:)

Main purpose would be for NON racing vacation George.
You know KOA's and National park trips...
2021 Season: 777 ES | 1999 Miata, 10th Anniversary #3987/7500
MIATAROADSTER.COM
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

George Schilling wrote:Maybe I'm just an old curmudgeon Pete, but here's a little food for thought before you pull the trigger.

Consider this:
  • For the $6500 purchase price, you can stay about 100 nights in a 3* or better hotel if you use a service like Priceline or Hotwire
    If you stay in a hotel, you could load up your Miata and actually have fun getting there and while your there
    Add in the cost of the campground and the additional gas to tow a trailer, and a nice hotel is paid for
    The second happiest day in anyone's life is the day they buy that trailer/boat/airplane........the happiest is when they sell it.
Can't argue with you George if your intent is to vacation in cities. Though you didn't take into consideration food costs eating out vs. in your RV. You just doubled your nightly costs, and brought your nights down from 100 to 50.

But for those who use RV's, we go places you can get 3 star hotels. I grew up spending 10 nights in Yosemite Valley every summer from the time I was 6 to 18. Ok, not all of them were in the Valley, we usually did a three day backpacking trip into the high country. Not a great variety of summer locations.... but as kids we OWNED that place (or so we thought), but there are no 3 star hotels there. Also spent every Easter vacation at a campground somewhere in the woods, many at Butterfield Ranch in Rancho California. VBRO's didn't exist in the 70's and early 80's, they do today... but again not likely were we stayed, not for $65 a night equivalents.

RV'ing isn't for everyone. But for those who want to get away from populated areas and into the wilderness, and sleep more comfortably than a tent, there is no cost comparison. I'm ecstatic he's considering it. I wish I did with my kids.... but it wasn't the wife's thing. For some a cabin in Big Bear just isn't far enough away. Today for me it is, as a kid I'm glad my parents drug me farther out. Pet's young with little one(s), I'm glad he's considering it.
Craig Naylor

Post by Craig Naylor »

George Schilling wrote:The second happiest day in anyone's life is the day they buy that C Mod........the happiest is when they sell it.[/list]
Fixed that for you George. But I'm sure you had your reasons too. }:)
Will Kalman
Club: PSCC
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Yep cooped up in a trailer, playing board games, making s'mores on the campfire, eatin' camp food and snacks, going on hikes, poking sticks in the camp fire, checking out water skimmers on the creek ...... while video games, TV, tablets, phones, and all other artificial time-wasters and attitude-wreckers are abandoned.

Worst.times.ever.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Let me put this another way........

There is an RV storage yard near my office. One of the services they provide is paper shredding. I chat with the Linda when I take boxes of paper to shred. She tells me that most of the RV's never move. Some have tires so old they become flat from rot. While purchasing a trailer may seem like a good idea, it's akin to signing a contract at a health spa. In most cases it gets used a few times, then forgotten......except for the ongoing expense. What seems like a good idea at the time, turns into a burden for the majority of people. A new trailer or RV can be rented for occasional "vacationers" without the burden of owning. If it is to see heavy use, owning might make sense. Doesn't work that way for most, especially if they have interests other than "camping". Doesn't mean owning an RV won't work for Pete. I just know owning doesn't work for most.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Craig Naylor wrote:
George Schilling wrote:The second happiest day in anyone's life is the day they buy that C Mod........the happiest is when they sell it.[/list]
It was a spur of the moment decision that has cost much more than originally anticipated. Which is why I'm passing that wisdom on to Pete. :lol:

BTW, I've also owned an airplane, so I have some experience about buying things that eventually become a burden. :lol:
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

George Schilling wrote:
Craig Naylor wrote:
It was a spur of the moment decision that has cost much more than originally anticipated. Which is why I'm passing that wisdom on to Pete. :lol:

BTW, I've also owned an airplane, so I have some experience about buying things that eventually become a burden. :lol:
Maybe if we can get enough "vacationers", we can put together a group...say, E Stock RV. But then we'll have to "agree" as to what kind of tires we'll all run. :D }:)
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Craig Naylor

Post by Craig Naylor »

Ed Holley wrote:Maybe if we can get enough "vacationers", we can put together a group...say, E Stock RV. But then we'll have to "agree" as to what kind of hook ups well use, primitive, partial, full, one nighters. :D }:)
Fixed that for you too Ed. :thumbup:
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Since we're fixing quotes.
George Schilling wrote:BTW, I've also had a woman, so I have some experience about having things that eventually become a burden. :lol:

My in-laws keep pushing me to go in on a RV. I have mostly the same thoughts as George when in comes to me in an RV. BUT, I do have great memories of being a youngster and crusing the country with my grandparents and several cousins. Really the only fond memories I have of that side of the family. My grandparents wore out their RV during retirement. Any excuse to take it out (they'd go pick up relitives 1500miles away to avoid an airplane). My dad has a big tear drop tailer that is rarely used.

Everyone needs to have a Grandpa with an RV. (plus retired folk can use it more!)

Jay W