Ignition Switch Re-program

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Ed Holley
Club: CASOC
Car#: 912

Ignition Switch Re-program

Post by Ed Holley »

I recently purchased and will be installing a new ignition module in my wife's 2005 Honda Civic. Having removed the old one, I can say it's probably a fairly easy install.
The unit I purchased is a Standard Motors product which I understand is about as close to OEM as you can get. Comes with Honda keys. My understanding is that I will need to get the car to the dealer after installation for re-programming of the module, immobilizer and/or keys. My questions are...can I presume it's as straight forward as that? And that the unit does need to be installed in the car prior. Also, the local Honda dealer wants about $160 for the re-programming. Is that about right? Any other options?
Do any of you have direct experience with this issue?
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Will Kalman
Club: PSCC
Car#: 232

Re: Ignition Switch Re-program

Post by Will Kalman »

I has to replace the ignition switch in our Odyssey and purchased a 3rd party unit. I had to have a locksmith come out and reprogram the ECU to accept the new key. Be careful, they tried a bait-and-switch with me and tried to charge me double for the two new keys. $160 is about what the locksmith charged us; given similar prices, I'd go with the dealer.

Note that if you have the new lock physically re-keyed, you will not have to do a re-program as you'll be using the old key with it's original code.

If you don't have the lock re-keyed, you'll have to carry the new ignition key as well as the old key to open the doors and trunk.
Steve Lepper
Club: TCC
Car#: 355

Post by Steve Lepper »

Once you replace the hardware, the car will not start until the programming is complete, so you have to 1) have the car towed to the shop/dealer or 2) have someone come to you.
Ed Holley
Club: CASOC
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Steve Lepper wrote:Once you replace the hardware, the car will not start until the programming is complete, so you have to 1) have the car towed to the shop/dealer or 2) have someone come to you.
Thanks Steve and Wil. I received the new unit w/ Honda keys and have installed it. I've pretty much decided to trailer it over to the local dealer.

Steve: It sounds like you are in disagreement with Wil's comment regarding getting the new cylinder re-keyed to the old keys. Seems like there are other things on the switch module that would make it more complicated than a re-key, ie., immobilizer, etc. Maybe not.
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Steve Lepper
Club: TCC
Car#: 355

Post by Steve Lepper »

If you have a new key module, it comes with a new code that must be entered into the vehicle's ECU before it will work.

If all you need is a new key, there is a way to "clone" a blank key with the car's current code.