George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

What Tires to Buy?

Post by George Schilling »

I'm ordering tires for my S2000.

Stock wheels 225/50 16.

This will be mostly for street use with an occasional autox. Will be driven almost exclusively in dry conditions. Must have decent street manners, ie reasonably quiet ride. Which of the heavy hitters fits the bill best?

What say you?
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Brian Kelly
Club: No$
Car#: 215

Re: What Tires to Buy?

Post by Brian Kelly »

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/veh ... 6w+bw.html

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo. Great in the rain, good dry grip, and cheap. I've ordered tires through this site before, and picked them up at their distribution center in Cerritos to save on shipping.
2000 Miata LS
#215 ES
George Schilling
Club Representative

Thanks Brian for the recommendation.

That is a great all around tire. I just put the new version of that tire on my SLK 320 last week and also have them on my Mini Cooper S. Unfortunately, only one of my size left in stock.

I ended up ordering the Hankook RS3. I'm taking the car to Lone Pine this weekend where the temps should be around 90. They should work just fine.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

George Schilling wrote: I ended up ordering the Hankook RS3. I'm taking the car to Lone Pine this weekend where the temps should be around 90. They should work just fine.
This is what I would have recommended. Soft side walls makes the street ride more tolerable than other top tier street tires. You'll probably need to compensate for the soft walls by upping your race pressure a few pounds over other tires.

Jay W
George Schilling
Club Representative

Jayson Woodruff wrote:
George Schilling wrote: I ended up ordering the Hankook RS3. I'm taking the car to Lone Pine this weekend where the temps should be around 90. They should work just fine.
This is what I would have recommended. Soft side walls makes the street ride more tolerable than other top tier street tires. You'll probably need to compensate for the soft walls by upping your race pressure a few pounds over other tires.

Jay W
Thanks for the input Jay.