Go Pro Camera setup

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Chris Hofmann
Car#: 501

Go Pro Camera setup

Post by Chris Hofmann »

So, Ive noticed the last few times ive gone and run track days, with my go pro mounted on the outside of the car, that i get a weird rolling shutter effect, or that everything looks like its "waving" i picked up a skeleton case and ext mic to help reduce wind noise in videos, but man this visual wave is still aggravating the heck out of me.

Wondering what settings you guys are shooting on / recommend for inside and outside the car use.

Thanks.
A1 Higher Graphics | Clutchmasters | CobaltNation | CrateEngineDepot | DEI | GoPro | GoPuck | PLWA | Rockwell Time | Slick Products | SpyOptics | Trackspec Motorsports | ZZPerformance
#501 Chevrolet Cobalt
Brian Kelly
Club: No$
Car#: 215

Re: Go Pro Camera setup

Post by Brian Kelly »

This might help:
http://gopro.com/support/articles/how-t ... ons-videos

You may just have it mounted in an area that gets a lot of vibration.
2000 Miata LS
#215 ES
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

Are you recording at 60fps? That fixed the issue on the Sprite w/ the Go Pro (1 or 2, I forget) that we are using (going from 1080p/30fps to 720p/60fps). We also have a lot of vibration (it's solid mounted to the roll bar), so I'll probably try what Brian posted above, as well... eventually.
Murray Peterson

Post by Murray Peterson »

This is a common problem with cameras mounted on drones (called the jello effect); there is vibration at or near near the shutter frequency.

Try changing the shutter speed first. If that doesn't help, an isolation mount should help:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom-GoP ... 27f2112eb4
Chris Hofmann

Post by Chris Hofmann »

ill have to check what im shooting at fps wise. Its mounted on the quarter window of the car... so i guess maybe its just vibrating that bad. hrm.
A1 Higher Graphics | Clutchmasters | CobaltNation | CrateEngineDepot | DEI | GoPro | GoPuck | PLWA | Rockwell Time | Slick Products | SpyOptics | Trackspec Motorsports | ZZPerformance
#501 Chevrolet Cobalt
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Chris Hofmann wrote:or that everything looks like its "waving"
I've had a similar problem coming from the converting software. I switch something within the software (like format or the like) and it went away.

Sorry I don't remember the details, but I suggest messing around with that first.

Jay W
Chris Hofmann

Post by Chris Hofmann »

jay, were you using the gopro editing software, or something else?
#501 Chevrolet Cobalt
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Chris Hofmann wrote:jay, were you using the gopro editing software, or something else?
I have a convoluted process, but the one of the gopro conversions was causing the waves.

Jay W