Scrapyard Suggestions?

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Chris Hofmann
Car#: 501

Scrapyard Suggestions?

Post by Chris Hofmann »

So, have to move next month, and I've accumulated quite of pile of junk rotors, a subframe, engine buts, etc. Any recommendations for a good scrapyard in the Southbay / Long Beach to try and get the most for this pile of steel, iron and aluminum?
A1 Higher Graphics | Clutchmasters | CobaltNation | CrateEngineDepot | DEI | GoPro | GoPuck | PLWA | Rockwell Time | Slick Products | SpyOptics | Trackspec Motorsports | ZZPerformance
#501 Chevrolet Cobalt
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Re: Scrapyard Suggestions?

Post by Craig Naylor »

Make sure you disassemble to sort everything. One tiny piece of steel connected to your aluminum, brass, etc... & you'll only get scrap steel for it all.

I jut recycled my all aluminum head, with the steel bolts for the intake & exhaust imbedded... I got a whopping $5.40 for it's 110 lbs. At most it had a pound or two of steel? Argued 1st with the yard guy, then the manager... they just kept pointing to their various signs that each material must be free of contaminants, and other metals, or they pay the lowest applicable rate. Though this was a new place to me... I've incurred the same elsewhere also. I've sat on it for 5 yrs now... just wanted it gone, so I took the pittance they offered.

On the other hand... according to their scale... my Fit w/ me in it and 1/2 tank of gas ways only 2720 lbs. Remove me, and it's only ~450 lbs heaver than my STS Miata at the Pro, that was kinda a shock. I thought for sure there is a bigger difference than that.
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Re: Scrapyard Suggestions?

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Craig Naylor wrote:I jut recycled my all aluminum head,...it's 110 lbs.

On the other hand... according to their scale... my Fit w/ me in it and 1/2 tank of gas ways only 2720 lbs. Remove me, and it's only ~450 lbs heaver than my STS Miata at the Pro, that was kinda a shock. I thought for sure there is a bigger difference than that.
Maybe its because your using 110lb heads ;-).

I've got a big pile of aluminum too. What's the going rate anyways? Recycler recommendations in HB area?

Jay W