Need a Garage for 2 -> 3 Months

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Eddie Atherton
Car#: 250

Need a Garage for 2 -> 3 Months

Post by Eddie Atherton »

We're about to have some work done at the house which will necessitate moving my Lotus out of the garage for 2 to 3 months. Anyone have any suggestions for places I might look into.

I'd prefer West LA or South Bay, but will consider anywhere in Los Angeles if the facility and price are right, especially with regard to access times and frequency. A lot of the places I've found on-line close off access in the early evening. I'd also like somewhere that isn't going to kick up a stink about me using the storage as a garage, where I'd like to use the car as often as I can, not just park it for the duration.

Cheers.
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Re: Need a Garage for 2 -> 3 Months

Post by Anthony P. »

I have used ground level drive up storage before. Just find a place that offers 24 hr access.
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Hi Eddie,

I was in a similar situation 3 yrs ago when I moved into a hi-rise building, and only had one parking space, while owning two vehicles.

I personally went to 20+ locations in and around Long Beach. Many storage locations had "garages" large enough to fit my car, but forbade vehicular storage indoors, and only accepted RV's in their outdoor spaces.

The only "indoor" place I found was: Public Storage @: 1917 Long Beach Blvd, Long Beach, CA 90806. They have an underground parking lot for vehicle storage.
However their hours weren't particularly conducive to parking post event: 9:30am-6pm F-M 9;30am - 5pm Sat & Sun. And only the "registered storage" car could be parked in the space. I could not swap out my daily driver for the Ax-car I wanted to store, while I took it out.

In the end, I'm lucky enough to live within walking distance of work... and my lottery ticket was pulled for a space in the building's underground parking at work (vs off site - day parking) one week before I moved. What a blessing that was, that I can just leave my 2nd car at work.

Good luck in your search.
Eddie Atherton
Car#: 250

Post by Eddie Atherton »

I'd found 2 or 3 storage places that had ground level units that they were OK with being used for vehicles, but yeah, it's the ridiculous access times that make them really not an option.

But I lucked out, in that asking the guys at the garage I take my daily driver to if they had any suggestions, found out that the owner also has a dedicated car storage that happened to have one vacant spot in it. 24 hour key-coded access and no problem leaving my daily there when I take the Lotus out.

Now all I need to do is clear July 8/9 on the calendar from needing to be around with the contractor.

Cheers,
Eddie
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Several cars in the storage units at US Storage on Crenshaw, a block north of Lomita. 24 hour access is available.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins