Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward
Club: No$
Car#: 30

It's a bad, bad day

Post by Eric Clements »

And you thought I was talking about the election!

Mari got rear ended on her way home from work today.
She's fine.
BMW's totaled.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Re: It's a bad, bad day

Post by George Schilling »

Bummer. Glad to hear she's OK.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Jeff Shyu
Car#: 0

Post by Jeff Shyu »

totalled from a rear end collision?

sounds like there's going to be fairly extensive massage sessions in your future, with you on the delivery end.

glad to hear she's ok. :thumbup:
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Gotta be a gay joke in there somewhere.

Glad she's okay. Hope she's not sore in the days to come. Give her a hug from Stacey and I.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Eric Clements wrote:And you thought I was talking about the election!
I knew it wasn't simply because YOU started the thread :) Had it been Ekstrand then yes I would've expected nothing but the election.
Eric Clements wrote:Mari got rear ended on her way home from work today.
She's fine.
BMW's totaled.
Been there...done that :( 3 times Glad to hear Mari's okay, but for it to be totalled, it must've been serious.
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Eric Clements wrote:And you thought I was talking about the election!

Mari got rear ended on her way home from work today.
She's fine.
BMW's totaled.
:( :( :( :(
Glad Mari's O.K.
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Glad Mari's OK.
John Coffey
Car#: 250

Post by John Coffey »

Sorry to hear about the wreck. Glad Mari is OK. Time for a new car I guess.
Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Eric Clements »

Jeff Shyu wrote:totalled from a rear end collision?
Jon said "check it out, the BMW's trunk is smaller then the MR2's!"

The bumper hit the spare tire into the diff pushing the entire driveline forward 3". Breaking the Diff, motor and transmission mounts. The battery (in the right rear of the trunk) pushed into the RR tire so it wouldn't roll. The jack (in the spare tire well) punched thru the sheet metal and into the rear swaybar. Roof and rocker panel are slightly buckled.

The Tahoe bumper that Mari got pushed into crunched the grill/hood/fenders into the engine.
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

There's a joke in there about Mari's height, but I should probably let that go...

So give us the short list so we can discuss your next car purchase!
:D
Mari Clements
Car#: 130

Post by Mari Clements »

I said part of this in a different thread, not knowing Eric posted here. Anyway...

The car in front of the Nissan Pathfinder braked abruptly. The Pathfinder braked abruptly. The Scion braked abruptly. The SUV in front of me braked abruptly. I broke abruptly. ("hey, that's what the ABS feels like in this car, I almost forgot.") I look in the rearview mirror have time to think, "Uh, she's not going to be able to stop in time," get slammed forward into the SUV, which hits the Scion, which hits the Pathfinder.

I reach behind the seat to get my cell phone out of my briefcase (which is a little tougher to do than normal because the BMW did its job and moved the seat back and slightly reclined). I get out of the car and the poor girl in the Camry is staggering down the sidewalk, very very upset. She's got facial abrasions and swelling from the airbags, and is very worried that I'm OK. I tell her I'm fine and call the paramedics for her. They get there really fast and take her to the hospital. Azusa police get there next, but only to say that this part of Citrus Ave belongs to CHP, so we'll have to wait for them.

In the meantime, I'm wondering what happened to the SUV (the driver took off right after the accident--didn't even stop), and kind of sick looking at my car, which now resembles a 318ti...and is nearly two car lengths down the street from the Camry, which is not recognizable from the front anymore.

CHP gets there, tells me I have an hour to get Eric there with the trailer or they'll have to tow the car. I call Eric, who calls Tom to borrow his open trailer (thanks Tom!). Then the tow truck comes from the Camry. They've already painted the location of the vehicles on the street and taken everyone's statement and a million measurements, so the tow truck driver tries to push the Bimmer to the side of the road, but it won't move. It's stuck in gear and the bodywork is jammed into the rear passenger tire. The highway patrolman says he hopes we have a winch on the trailer. We don't, but we have many tow straps (thanks again, Tom!), and Eric cranks and cranks while I keep the clutch in, and finally the car is loaded. Three hours after the accident, I'm home.

The back of my right leg is bruised from where the seat hit it, and my neck is one big ache from chin to collarbone, but I'm really fine. And feeling very positively toward BMW.
Mari Clements
Car#: 130

Post by Mari Clements »

Photos at http://tennessee-family.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(They were too big to attach here without doing more work than I'm really up for...)
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Poor Helga.... Whew!
I hate to say it, but I can't imagine you're not going to have some medical issues.

In our prayers.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

The BMW looks exceptionally good considering the Camry pushed you hard enough to push all the others.
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Mari Clements wrote:Photos at http://tennessee-family.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(They were too big to attach here without doing more work than I'm really up for...)
You folks really need to stop parking wrecked BMWs in your driveway. The neighbors will talk.

Again, glad the Bavarian schteel did its job.
Stephen Yeoh
Solo Chair
Car#: 88

Post by Stephen Yeoh »

Hope you feel ok in the days to come. Sorry to hear about the car.
Stephen Yeoh
Cal Club Autocross Chair
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Sucks about the BMW damage but glad to hear your damage is minor, Mari.

The way you guys are going through vehicles lately maybe you should look into licensing the karts...... :)
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

I almost ran over Eric when I was backing out of the driveway to go vote. :!:

When I got back home he was just getting ready to leave with the trailer (which had a flat tire). Also, turns out he almost took the wrong trailer. There was a black, open trailer parked in the same spot we normally park our black, open trailer. Good thing it was locked. That would have been interesting to explain to the neighbors...

Glad you're ok Mari!
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Ethan West
Car#: 764

Post by Ethan West »

Glad you're ok.

I feel your pain though. Back in April, my old 2000 Crown Vic was rear ended at 40mph by a 1992 Bronco while I was stopped waiting to make a left turn. Of course this happened 3 days after I put a new transmission in, but the car was totaled (mainly because it was only worth $5000).
2003 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor- CST
Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Eric Clements »

Robert Puertas wrote: So give us the short list so we can discuss your next car purchase!
:D
So, the day (Wed) after the wreck Tom call's me "not that your obligated to buy it, but I just bought you a 2004 325i" Friday it gets to his house, Mari & I go check it out, She likes it, we buy it. :gpower:

During the last week Tom collects parts and we put them on the car. I drove it home today, still need a few parts and a fresh coat of paint.

We really appreciate Tom & Theresa for keeping us supplied for our car habit (and lunch!)