Cell/Smart Phone mount that does not make tech grumpy

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

David Watson

Cell/Smart Phone mount that does not make tech grumpy

Post by David Watson »

hi,

I am starting in Jan. and would like to mount my phone in the car to record video and segment times. what type or model of phone mount would not make the tech people grumpy? :lol:

Thanks!
1999 Mazda Miata, Lewis Hamilton, Ron Fellows, David Coulthard, Jacques Villeneuve, Laguna Seca, Spa Francorchamps, Racetrack of the Americas, Long Beach Grand Prix since 1992, Circuit De Gilles Villeneuve 98 -99, VARA Willow Springs BF Goodrich :crazy:
Eric Wong

Re: Cell/Smart Phone mount that does not make tech grumpy

Post by Eric Wong »

I was looking into a Ram mount along with a secondary tether. I think the tether is important so it won't fall into the footwell and interfere with pedals in case the primary mount fails. (Or fly off the car and get run over if mounted externally).

I don't think I'll bother with it myself; I'm still making some obvious mistakes in my driving, so figuring out how to mount things securely without interfering with my vision seems to be more trouble than it's worth at my level.
Ed T
Current Solo Director
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 711

Post by Ed T »

David Watson wrote:hi,

I am starting in Jan. and would like to mount my phone in the car to record video and segment times. what type or model of phone mount would not make the tech people grumpy? :lol:

Thanks!
I've use a ram mount for over a year without any issues and I know a few other drivers who use this one http://amzn.to/2BH2iLP. I personally use this style clip just because its lighter http://amzn.to/2nCdAyu
ES #711 Aston Martin V8 MR2 Spyder Vantage
David Watson

Post by David Watson »

Hi Ed,

that 2nd link, how do you attach that to your car.

Yes Eric, a tether could be made from zip ties and anchors cheaply and securely. Good idea!

Thanks!
1999 Mazda Miata, Lewis Hamilton, Ron Fellows, David Coulthard, Jacques Villeneuve, Laguna Seca, Spa Francorchamps, Racetrack of the Americas, Long Beach Grand Prix since 1992, Circuit De Gilles Villeneuve 98 -99, VARA Willow Springs BF Goodrich :crazy:
Paul Molina
Club: CASOC
Car#: 274

Post by Paul Molina »

I use this mount https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QM ... UTF8&psc=1
You just have to take your phone out of the case, but that said it's not going to fall out of the holder.
If your using a newer Iphone it's going to have bad camera shake from the image stabilization, nothing you can do
about it other than putting a small magnetic on the screen behind the camera lens.
Ed T
Current Solo Director

Post by Ed T »

David Watson wrote:Hi Ed,

that 2nd link, how do you attach that to your car.

Yes Eric, a tether could be made from zip ties and anchors cheaply and securely. Good idea!

Thanks!
Oh the second mount screws onto the first mount :P I just didn't like the X-grip mount on my phone so i went with something more simple

If you come out to the January event, come find me and I can show you my setup.
Matt Davis
Car#: 562

Post by Matt Davis »

I have a iphone and have been using the ROKForm cases on amazon that also snap in and dont come off while autocrossing
Matt
David Watson

Post by David Watson »

Thanks!
Ed T
Current Solo Director

Post by Ed T »

David Watson wrote:Thanks!
Also if you plan to mount it inside the car, you really don't need a tether. I've never had it come loose as the spring loaded clamp is fairly strong. Mounting it outside of the car would be a different story and I've never done that with a phone.
David Watson

Post by David Watson »

I ended up using a friend's Go Pro and suction mount on the T- TOP, worked great, except my passenger's head kept hitting it. The video was most instructive!