Cordless Impact

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Justin Erickson
Car#: 846

Cordless Impact

Post by Justin Erickson »

I'm looking to get a cordless impact to make tire changes a little easier before and after events. Are there any brands that any of you would recommend I focus more attention on or stay away from? I want to try and keep it at or under $200 if at all possible. Saw some on Amazon for less than that, but that doesn't mean they're any better than something else.
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough
- Mario Andretti
Tom Tanquary
Solo Safety Steward
Club: PSCC
Car#: 705

Re: Cordless Impact

Post by Tom Tanquary »

I have the Makita 9v impact that I used for years while I changed tires at events. I no longer do that so haven't used it for quite a while. It does make things go a little faster but a 9v system doesn't have the torque to break free lugs/studs or take them to proper torque when putting lugs/studs on. You still need a breaker bar and a torque wrench. And if the nut/bolt wasn't started properly, you can spend a lot of time trying to "fix" it after using the impact tool. Maybe an 18v system would be better but they cost a lot more. So IMHO, you're spending money to only save a few minutes and you still have to use the normal tools anyway. With that in mind I'd find the cheapest one I could or even a used one. My $.02.
[youtubeShortLink][/youtubeShortLink]"Our intelligence grew faster than our wisdom.... "
Sean Fenstermacher
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 81

Post by Sean Fenstermacher »

This Dewalt is my favorite.
It has been used on countless wheel changes, other mechanical jobs, and general house use.
The batteries last forever and the gun has enough torque to break free lugs so the whole wheel change process is quicker and takes less effort.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF880HM2 ... v+hog+ring
Tom Tanquary
Solo Safety Steward
Club: PSCC
Car#: 705

Post by Tom Tanquary »

If you do an on-line search for best tested cordless impact the Milwaukee 2767-22 – Gen 2 usually comes out on top. But...... it's also stupid expensive. The DeWALT DCF899P2 is rated a "most Bang for the $" and both will break loose any lug/stud. ( you still need a torque wrench :think: ) But anything good is going to be over $200.
[youtubeShortLink][/youtubeShortLink]"Our intelligence grew faster than our wisdom.... "
Max Guijarro
Car#: 905

Post by Max Guijarro »

I've got the Milwaukee 2767-22(or at least something very similar) and I've had great results with it. It is also stupid expensive, but I've gotten my moneys worth out of it with the side jobs that I do so I'm not complaining.
David Watson

Post by David Watson »

I was you a few weeks ago. My research took me to the Bosch 18v 1/2 drive, but the Dewalt and Milwaukee offerings are nice too of course. I scored the driver on amazon for $113 and 2 batteries and charger for about $70 from ebay. The higher powered drivers will take you past $300. For about $16 you can get a Pittsburgh 1/2 torque wrench and socket from Harbor Freight that gets good reviews. Tech had me swap tires front to back on my first weekend, so its handy at the course too!

After Christmas I will be practicing my "pit work" with a mechanic friend, and I can let you know how it went.

I will be happy to send you the links, and good luck in your shopping hunt!
1999 Mazda Miata, Lewis Hamilton, Ron Fellows, David Coulthard, Jacques Villeneuve, Laguna Seca, Spa Francorchamps, Racetrack of the Americas, Long Beach Grand Prix since 1992, Circuit De Gilles Villeneuve 98 -99, VARA Willow Springs BF Goodrich :crazy:
Max Hayter
Club: CASOC
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Sean Fenstermacher wrote:This Dewalt is my favorite.
It has been used on countless wheel changes, other mechanical jobs, and general house use.
The batteries last forever and the gun has enough torque to break free lugs so the whole wheel change process is quicker and takes less effort.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF880HM2 ... v+hog+ring
I have this... it's awesome. Small, light and plenty of power. It even took off my FRS axle nuts!
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
John Fendel
Club: CASOC
Car#: 23

Post by John Fendel »

I bought the Goodyear 24 volt mentioned lower down in the Dewalt ad above.
I've had the unit for many years with no problems.
I bought it on sale from Pep Boys for about $80. Included 2 impact sockets.
I don't know if they still carry them.
I've replaced the battery twice. Ordered it on the internet.
The battery lasts several years if you use and charge it regularly.
Has the power to change 5 lug rims twice in one day.
#ALSaware, GRC Performance, Red Line Oil
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

If you don't care about lightweight, I use the older version of this Ridgid 18v Impact: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-GEN5 ... /303037082

Works great & if you buy through Home Depot, it's lifetime service agreement (aka free replacement batteries). I haven't had to use it yet, so I don't know how well that process works or if there are other charges, etc.
David Watson

Post by David Watson »

Follow up on impact guns. The bosch works well, but lacks the torque to remove lug nuts. I am looking at the milwaukee, ingersoll and dewalt, as they reprtedly do have the torque. One consideration is dewalt had a nicely specd cordless compressor, and having a dewalt impact makes only 1 charger anf battery pair necc. My budget alliws the milwaukee, but i can use the cash for other items.

Did you get one OP?
1999 Mazda Miata, Lewis Hamilton, Ron Fellows, David Coulthard, Jacques Villeneuve, Laguna Seca, Spa Francorchamps, Racetrack of the Americas, Long Beach Grand Prix since 1992, Circuit De Gilles Villeneuve 98 -99, VARA Willow Springs BF Goodrich :crazy:
Jason Swindle
Club: GRA
Car#: 5

Post by Jason Swindle »

Casey and I have both been using the Milwakee for years. Very reliable, robust and enough torque for 1/2" and 12mm lug nuts. Not quite enough for 14mm or 5/8 that are torqued to 140 ft-lbs.

Charge on a new-ish battery lasts quite a few events of changing 4 wheels.

I had the Dewalt before and did not like the rocker style trigger (not sure if the current one still has this). The tightening and loosening were backward (at least according to the way my brain works). I prefer the Milwakee that is like most cordless screwdrivers, ie one trigger and a button on the side to change direction.

If you wanna try mine out, stop by at the next event.

HTH,
Jason
David Watson

Post by David Watson »

Hi Jason,

thanks for the offer! I ended up getting the Milwaukee mid torque impact, and tested it out, works great. I got a bunch of batteries too, so hit me up if there is a need. Looking at those 3/8 impacts to add to my collection.