Nitto NT05

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Adam Tarnoff
Club: CASOC
Car#: 49

Nitto NT05

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

I'll be trying a 17x11 setup sometime soon. Unfortunately, tires in 17" are few and far between now, especially in 315. My choices for a sticky tire are between the NT05 or the Kuhmo XS (Scott McHugh seems to really like those).

Anyone ever use these tires? I need more grip for this big fat car! (and driver lol)
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
PatMcSwain

Re: Nitto NT05

Post by PatMcSwain »

If you can go 3/4" wider at the sidewall, 335/35-17's are supposed to fit on an 17x11".
Michelin PS2's are pretty sticky, but not cheap, about $500 each in that size from tirerack. Work well with heavy cars.

If I understand it right, the Kumho XS with treadwear 180 will be illegal for street class next year. T
Adam Tarnoff

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

PatMcSwain wrote:If you can go 3/4" wider at the sidewall, 335/35-17's are supposed to fit on an 17x11".
Michelin PS2's are pretty sticky, but not cheap, about $500 each in that size from tirerack. Work well with heavy cars.

If I understand it right, the Kumho XS with treadwear 180 will be illegal for street class next year. T

I run CST so 180 tw isn't a problem.

Also, while I'd like a 335 I doubt I could fit that; 315 is difficult at this point. Thanks for the suggestions, though!
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
Steve Abbott
Car#: 48

Post by Steve Abbott »

A few years ago Hodges and I ran his SS Corvette on Kumho XS tires in SK1. They were great. We couldn't get them anymore, because Kumho had them back ordered forever. So we switched to Hoosiers.

Steve
Brian Kelly
Club: No$
Car#: 215

Post by Brian Kelly »

I've heard good things about the Kumhos on heavy cars. Apparently they love heat.
2000 Miata LS
#215 ES
Mike Yanase
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 16

Post by Mike Yanase »

Adam Tarnoff wrote:
PatMcSwain wrote:If you can go 3/4" wider at the sidewall, 335/35-17's are supposed to fit on an 17x11".

Also, while I'd like a 335 I doubt I could fit that; 315 is difficult at this point. Thanks for the suggestions, though!
correct me if im wrong, but doesn't 200TW still apply to CST?
since the classification of a street tire jumps to 200 next year.
however seeing that it is a regional class, it is possible that the rules can be set to keep the 140TW rating
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Mike Yanase wrote:
Adam Tarnoff wrote:

correct me if im wrong, but doesn't 200TW still apply to CST?
since the classification of a street tire jumps to 200 next year.
however seeing that it is a regional class, it is possible that the rules can be set to keep the 140TW rating
CST specifically says 140 and it's not tied to anything National and no mention of "street tire".
CALIFORNIA STREET TOURING (CST):
Vehicles eligible for CST must comply with the rules of CSM, with the exception that all of the tires mounted on the car must have a TREADWEAR number of 140 or higher molded by the manufacturer on the sidewall.
CALIFORNIA STREET MODIFIED (CSM):
Vehicles eligible for CSM must be capable of being licensed for street use in California, shall be run on DOT approved tires and must meet all SCCA Solo Safety requirements.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
PatMcSwain

Post by PatMcSwain »

What is California Street Touring?

All I can find in the rules is that it's like California Street Modified?

EDIT: Don't worry, I'll catch up and stop asking dumb questions after a while. Maybe. ;)
Adam Tarnoff

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

PatMcSwain wrote:What is California Street Touring?

All I can find in the rules is that it's like California Street Modified?

EDIT: Don't worry, I'll catch up and stop asking dumb questions after a while. Maybe. ;)
It's our regional "run wutcha brung" class.

The car just has to be registered and run 140tw tires. It's usually a pretty big class with major competition.
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Rick Brown wrote: CALIFORNIA STREET TOURING (CST):
Vehicles eligible for CST must comply with the rules of CSM, with the exception that all of the tires mounted on the car must have a TREADWEAR number of 140 or higher molded by the manufacturer on the sidewall.
Probably an issue that should be addressed sooner rather than later for rules next year. I thought the Class name more or less broke down in concept to:
"California" - CA registrable (or at least put your cat back on once every two years, wink wink), More specifically no Nat SCCA class restrictions (aka, run what you brung).
"Street Touring", Using the ST Tire concept. I believe the 140TW was mentioned, to specifically avoid referring to the ST tire section, so not to create confusion with all the other ST class rules, like rim & tire width etc.

I personally would have assumed the 140 would change to 200 for CST also. It's a street tire class, and next year 200TW is the new Street Tire definition. In reality, how many cars in CST are running the magic 195/50/15 Toyo's? Any other Brand options and your 200+'s anyway.
PatMcSwain

Post by PatMcSwain »

Just out of curiosity, does it have the same "OE tires allowed" provision that Street does?

"13.C.1. Any tire which is OE on a car eligible for Street Category may be
used on that car in Regional Solo® events. OE tires must meet
all requirements of Section 13.3 to be eligible for National Solo®
events."
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

PatMcSwain wrote:Just out of curiosity, does it have the same "OE tires allowed" provision that Street does?

events."
FYI: You can read everything there is to read about our regional classes (i.e. not specified in the National Solo rulebook) in our region's supplemental rules (often referred to as 'supps'): http://solo2.com/supp_regs/SCCA_Cal_Clu ... s_2013.pdf
PatMcSwain

Post by PatMcSwain »

Jeff Stuart wrote:
PatMcSwain wrote:Just out of curiosity, does it have the same "OE tires allowed" provision that Street does?

events."
FYI: You can read everything there is to read about our regional classes (i.e. not specified in the National Solo rulebook) in our region's supplemental rules (often referred to as 'supps'): http://solo2.com/supp_regs/SCCA_Cal_Clu ... s_2013.pdf
Thanks.
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

Craig Naylor wrote:Probably an issue that should be addressed sooner rather than later for rules next year.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Adam Tarnoff

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

Bill Martin wrote:
Craig Naylor wrote:Probably an issue that should be addressed sooner rather than later for rules next year.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
:thumbup:
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

I'm kinda curious what people think of these tires, they are super cheap and one of the few available in pony car sizes. Exactly how bad are these tires compared to say RS3 or Z2s?
"Promise mediocrity. Deliver just slightly better." - Jarrett Bellini
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Bobby Beyer wrote:I'm kinda curious what people think of these tires, they are super cheap and one of the few available in pony car sizes. Exactly how bad are these tires compared to say RS3 or Z2s?
"Bobby Beyer"..."Bobby Beyer"...there used to be a guy named Bobby Beyer who autocrossed and frequented this forum. Could you be the same "Bobby"? Nah!! 8-)
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Adam Tarnoff

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

Bobby Beyer wrote:I'm kinda curious what people think of these tires, they are super cheap and one of the few available in pony car sizes. Exactly how bad are these tires compared to say RS3 or Z2s?

That's what I'm trying to figure out... if I can't get the XS, I'll try these and let you know.
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

I decided to hang out with the cool kids and started road racing :lol:
"Promise mediocrity. Deliver just slightly better." - Jarrett Bellini