Alpine AutoX - Jun 28

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Alpine AutoX - Jun 28

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Well, I had today as the scheduled start of my "Push for entries" round of the forums. But it appears word of mouth has spread like wild fire and we are already SOLD OUT. Waiting list is in effect.

So, on to "Opening" the announcement!

Racing LifeStyle's Alpine AutoX - Big Bear Airport, Jun 28th.
The oversold registration can be found here:
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/pr ... SbeJWPCSPU

What is it?:
The CalClub Solo group and JayCom Event Management are patnering up for this high altitude AutoX. This event is primarily a practice, with a little competition element thrown in to keep things interesting.
There is NO WORK assigment for this event!!!. So just pay and play. Thank your friendly UC-San Diego students while you're up there. Volenteers will aways be appreciated though.
Expect about a 50 second course and 16+ runs. Entry limited to 60 drivers. Climb the hill and escape the heat at the highest AutoX in California (and maybe the world).

Where?:
The Big Bear Aiport in Big Bear City at 6,752ft. Just a couple miles from awesome biking/hiking and friendly Big Bear Village.
Big Bear Airport
501 W. Valley Blvd
Big Bear City, Ca 92314

To keep things exciting, a small informal competition will be included:
Base classes are:
"Street" - Mostly stock cars on street tires, very high performance cars excluded
"Prepared" - Simple performance bolt-ons on street tires
"Race" - Unlimited Modifications
With the high number of entrants signed up, we will be breaking out several sub-classes from these categories. Keep an eye out for updates on classes as the event nears.

Fees:
$60/entry, share an entry with a second driver +$25
Day of Entries +$15

SCCA memberships are required, weekend memberships are available on site for $15.

Preliminary Schedule:
Tech and Reg open at 8am
Walking 7am-8:30
Driver's Meeting: 8:45
First Car off at 9am (Practice Runs)
Compeition Runs Begin ~10:30am, awards to follow.
More Practice Runs! ~1pm

Feel free to send me any questions: woodrufj@jaycomservices.com

Jay W
Last edited by Jayson Woodruff on Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jayson Woodruff

Re: Racing LifeStyle's Alpine AutoX - Big Bear Jun 28

The JayCom Services team would also like to thank Racing LiveStyle for supporting our little endevor. Along with sum financial support, the Racing LifeStyle crew has been hustling the word all over the communitity about the Alpine AutoX.

Racing LifeSyle is our go to supplier of all kinds of grass roots racing supplies. Helmets, fluids, golves, seats, airgagues,... EVERYTHING we use EVERY weekend.

Please thank the Racing Lifestyle crew when you see them and if you have opportiuity, definitly throw some business their way:
http://racinglifestyle.com/

Thanks,

Jay W
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Tis event was SO...SO Fun last year. I'm bummed!

Don't know if I can attend yet, but please +1 for waiting list.
Jayson Woodruff

Craig Naylor wrote:Tis event was SO...SO Fun last year. I'm bummed!

Don't know if I can attend yet, but please +1 for waiting list.
And Craig only had three brakes!

You put yourself on the wait list through the registration. I think we're at just 1 waitlister right now, but we over sold a couple, so need 3 drops before pulling in.

Jay W
silvio zucchet

Post by silvio zucchet »

so I just realized that I signed up for street class, I think my car being that is STU it should be in prepared. can I change that myself on motoreg.com or what should I do?
smooth is fast
Jayson Woodruff

silvio zucchet wrote:so I just realized that I signed up for street class, I think my car being that is STU it should be in prepared. can I change that myself on motoreg.com or what should I do?
Give it a try, but I think I'll have to do it.

Jay w
Jayson Woodruff

Attention AutoX Drivers!

Please double check the category you signed up for the Racing Lifestyle Alpine AutoX. I see several cars in there I need to move from Street to prepared, which means there's probably plenty more I don't see. Next week I'll start dividing up some fun classes, with this crowd I'm thinking around 8. I've got the now famous "Generic Recycled Trophies" sitting on my desk ready for your awsome display.

Entry list:
https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm ... 1E9AFAF262

Also, if you know you have to cancel, don't put off the notice, I won't be mad and we have a small wait list.

Any questions, feel free to e-mail me: woodrufj@jaycomservices.com
I should be at Sunday's El Toro event too if you want to catch up there.

Confirmed from waitlist to entered:
D, Sean
N, Craig
M, Nick
D, Pablo
M, Bryan
P, Brandon
W, Jim
A, Michael

Jay W
Last edited by Jayson Woodruff on Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jayson Woodruff

Update. I'v moved a few cars around to fit their classing. Final classing won't be done until near the event.

We've had very few drops, but enough to get us DOWN to the max of 60. So noones been pulled off the wait list yet, but a couple have dropped off the wait list. I'd say the top has a 95% chance and the bottom a 40%. Wait list is updated in the post prior to this one.

thanks,

Jay W
Jayson Woodruff

Updated WL, Craig in!

Most the drops I've had have been of people on the waitlist. So despite not much movement into the event, most of you guys are still moving up the priority.

Jay W
Mike Yanase
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 16

Post by Mike Yanase »

so how about that fire... lol
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Mike Yanase wrote:so how about that fire... lol
There will be a small extra fee charged at the gate..........
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 ... SX425_.jpg

If it was this weekend, could be a problem. Probably OK by next weekend.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director
Club: CASOC
Car#: 436

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

I heard the Corvette Bash is moving their venue to Snow Valley for their Saturday event due to helicopters using the airport space for the fire on the other side of the hill. Is our event potentially moving as well?
SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/
Jayson Woodruff

Furiously working. Shh.. for now.

Jay W
Randy Gonzalez wrote:I heard the Corvette Bash is moving their venue to Snow Valley for their Saturday event due to helicopters using the airport space for the fire on the other side of the hill. Is our event potentially moving as well?
Jayson Woodruff

Attention AutoXers.

We’ve had a couple changes. First and foremost, due to the on going wild fire, the Big Bear Airport is being used to stage fire fighting activities and has become unavailable to us. But! We have acquired the nearby venue of Snow Valley Mountain Resort parking lot.

The Snow Valley Mountain Resort is located 15 miles west of the Big Bear Airport along hwy 18 in Running Springs. The venue is significantly larger than the Airport and should accommodate our sell out size with ease. The surface of the Snow Valley Resort parking lot is significantly rougher than the airport (which is quite smooth), I would compare it to Qualcomm Stadium or Hollywood park. The altitude is 6,800ft, slightly higher than the airport (6750).

Food accommodations while sparse before are even less at the new venue. Be sure to be prepared with food and water, or for the 5 mile drive to Arrow Bear and Running Springs.

Pin pointing the Snow Valley Mountain Resort can be difficult, as Mapquest put me MILES away by address and Google maps put me on top of a mountain by name. So if you’re using a GPS to navigate, use these coordinates:
34°13'30.7"N 117°02'07.5"W
The event should be obvious from the highway.

As of now, highway 38 is closed and may continue to be so through the weekend. Routes 330/18 and 18 from Lucerne are open.

It should be noted this is a new venue to us, coordinated within the last 12hours and will likely come with growing pains. I apologize in advance for these issues and hope everyone helps accommodate.

On to other news, we’ve had a few cancellations and are moving down the Waitlist. If you’re on the waitlist, please check your status through e-mail or on the forum thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8632

Looking forward to this exciting weekend.

Jay W
Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Re: ATTN: Venue Change Alpine AutoX - Jun 28

Post by Mark DeShon »

I ran my second ever autocross with PCA at Snow Valley. It would be kinda nostalgic for me to run this event, but my car will be very apart... Maybe I'll bring the TDI Wagon. haha
Mark D.
Jayson Woodruff

Class Updates.

So I've hummed and hawed and come up with 8 classes for the competition portion of the Racing Lifestyles Alpine AutoX. And yes, the infamous trophies are ready!

We have one "Race" category, three "Prep" categories and four "Stock" categories. My word is final on categorizing. Whining will get you nowhere, but bribes go a long ways.

Check your station in life here:
http://jaycomservices.com/Event_Managem ... 15_fin.htm

(Save this link, it'll turn into near real time results assuming I can get that running).

Jay W
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Looks good Jay.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Adam Tarnoff
Car#: 49

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:Class Updates.

So I've hummed and hawed and come up with 8 classes for the competition portion of the Racing Lifestyles Alpine AutoX. And yes, the infamous trophies are ready!

We have one "Race" category, three "Prep" categories and four "Stock" categories. My word is final on categorizing. Whining will get you nowhere, but bribes go a long ways.

(Save this link, it'll turn into near real time results assuming I can get that running).

Jay W
You grouped me with that Adrian guy, how am I supposed to win now? :lol:
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Adam Tarnoff wrote:
Jayson Woodruff wrote:Class Updates.

Jay W
You grouped me with that Adrian guy, how am I supposed to win now? :lol:

"...but bribes go a long ways."
May work for timing, too.......
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Catherine Tran
Car#: 70

Post by Catherine Tran »

Just read on the news of new evacuation areas due to the wind increasing the fires:

http://ktla.com/2015/06/25/20000-acre-l ... s-ordered/

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4302/

"A smoke advisory was also issued for Yucca Valley, Morongo Valley, Lucerne Valley and surrounding communities, where changing weather and fire conditions were expected to impact air quality, according to the Mojave Desert Air Quality Management District."

"Evacuation orders also remained in effect in all areas east of Angelus Oaks, including Barton Flats, Seven Oaks, Heart Bar and homes off Rainbow Lane. All cabins and campgrounds in the South Fork area were also under evacuation orders."

Will it still be safe to drive there?
Sincerely,
Catherine Tran
SCNAX #70
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

From here:

http://www.bigbear.com/travel-tools/news/

• No expected threat to mountain communities.
• Smoke is expected to be carried mostly toward the northeast and east due to westerly winds into the Mojave Desert Air Basin.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Catherine Tran wrote:Just read on the news of new evacuation areas due to the wind increasing the fires:

http://ktla.com/2015/06/25/20000-acre-l ... s-ordered/

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4302/

"A smoke advisory was also issued for Yucca Valley, Morongo Valley, Lucerne Valley and surrounding communities, where changing weather and fire conditions were expected to impact air quality, according to the Mojave Desert Air Quality Management District."

"Evacuation orders also remained in effect in all areas east of Angelus Oaks, including Barton Flats, Seven Oaks, Heart Bar and homes off Rainbow Lane. All cabins and campgrounds in the South Fork area were also under evacuation orders."

Will it still be safe to drive there?
it will be great fun - you're going against traffic!
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Jayson Woodruff

Whew!

Now that was a weekend!

Sun burn, a good rain soaking, pine trees, silly trophies, lots of runs and even a few lightning strikes for good measure.

Again I'd like to thank Racing Lifestyle for being our title sponsor this weekend. Along with some fund contribution they did an excellent job of getting the word out to a diverse crowd, making this an excellent 'newbie' event. Please thank any Racing Lifestyle rep you see around, and even better yet take advantage of their racer supply store:
http://www.RacingLifestyle.com

Hope everyone had a good time. After years of beratement JayCom Services now has a Facebook page. So help us fill it out by posting any pictures, videos and comments to the wall.

http://www.JayComServices.com
https://www.facebook.com/JayComServices?ref=br_rs

Jay W
Stephen Strand
Car#: 519

Re: Alpine AutoX - Jun 28

Post by Stephen Strand »

Thanks for hosting it Jay it was a lot of fun. It would be great if there was more than one a year :D
Mediocre driver. #519 Focus ST. Lead mod for www.reddit.com/r/rallycross