New to Autocross and Racing

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Tom Glander

New to Autocross and Racing

Post by Tom Glander »

I guess we've all been there. I've been watching racing for years, and have spent plenty of time racing around the desert in dune buggies and on quads and motorcycles. But cars on the road? That's new to me.

Anyway, looking to make some new friends here. And I also need to get my car classed, I guess. ?? I'm planning on attending at El Toro next weekend for my first ever event.

I drive a 2016 Corvette Stingray, A8 (automatic, 8 speed tranny). Normally aspirated, nothing added for extra performance, bone stock car. Except for addition of a 5 point safety harness.

I have my appropriate snell 2010 helmet. I've been reading the rules. It sounds like a fun event, and I hope to do more events in the future, as I meet more people and get into this community. Loads to learn.

Thanks in advance for any pointers, welcomes, and whatnots.

Thanks!
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Re: New to Autocross and Racing

Post by Craig Naylor »

2016 Corvette Stingray
Class: SS
Class: SS-R*

Apparently Corvettes come with more than one OE tire, some of those tires are not SS legal.
- If you are on OE or aftermarket tires that are 200TW or higher - SS
- If you are on OE or aftermarket tires that are less than 200TW - SS-R (where full DOT race rubber is allowed)
Tom Glander

Post by Tom Glander »

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'm SS. Whatever that means. I'll do some research, unless someone wants to illuminate what the double S stands for. ;)
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

SS = Super Street

Rule book for your reference: http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/sc ... 1432652746

The rule book currently only lists up to 2015 Corvettes (Craig might be referencing a more recent fastrack update, which I didn't go through), but as reference:

For Sunday's purpose: if you are a regular C7, you should be able to run in SS. If you are in a Z06, the rule book says "(OE tires are NOT compliant)*" for the 2015 Z06 --> SS-R unless you get aftermarket tires.

There's also Novice indexing, Time Only, etc. It's easier to go through it w/ someone at an event/during the practice.
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote: The rule book currently only lists up to 2015 Corvettes (Craig might be referencing a more recent fastrack update, which I didn't go through)
'MY16 Corvette added via Fastrack update.

Note to Tom, Rule books come out once per year. Updates to the rules for a myriad of reasons are shared with the membership via a monthly online newsletter of sorts, called Fastrack. This is where models that hit the market between publications are classed for membership knowledge.
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director
Club: CASOC
Car#: 436

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

Welcome Tom,

Fellow RSM resident and Corvette driver (Grand Sport) here. Looking at registration there will be a couple of Corvette guys out for Saturday's practice. They're all a great group, and you'll have no problems making new friends.

The folks at registration are a great bunch and will help you get pointed in the right direction. Don't hesitate to ask them for help...they got me squared away quickly at my first event.

Get there early and don't miss Leonard's novice course walk. Valuable information for someone new to our sport (heck, it's valuable information to guys who have been doing it for years too!).

Stop by and introduce yourself. I'm the Torch Red Grand Sport. I always enjoy meeting other Corvette folks! You're more than welcome to hop in my car and ride as a passenger for a lap or two. And I always appreciate the opportunity to grab a ride in a C7 if you need a little ballast on the passenger side! :D

As far as classing, you'd be in SSR if you had the Pilot Sport Cup tires, but I don't think those were a Stingray option. I believe that's part of the Z06 upgrade package (Z07 Performance Package), so as far as I know you're all set in SS (Super Street).

Welcome again, and hope to see you out there Saturday!

Randy G.
SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/
Tom Glander

Post by Tom Glander »

Hi Randy,

Thanks for reaching out. I'll be there at 7 a.m. Saturday, planning on taking in as much as possible. I'd love to ride with you, and have you ride with me, too. Should be easy enough to find your car. Mine is blade silver. I'm not sure how the numbering scheme works, however. I chose a number when I signed up, is that the number I should put on my car? And what should I use to make the numbers? Just black duct tape?

I'll be reading the rule book and that will probably shed some light on things. I've signed up for Saturday and Sunday. Where do I find the roster, to see if I'm on the list? My confirmation email says my position is not guaranteed.

So thanks again.
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

I wanna ride in all the corvettes, too! I have parts of a corvette... :D

Blue painter's tape works fine. Printing out your numbers on a piece of paper and taping that is fine, too.

Roster is here: https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm ... 0DA521143A

I see your name on the list, you should be good to go.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Tom Glander wrote:Hi Randy,

Thanks for reaching out. I'll be there at 7 a.m. Saturday, planning on taking in as much as possible. I'd love to ride with you, and have you ride with me, too. Should be easy enough to find your car. Mine is blade silver. I'm not sure how the numbering scheme works, however. I chose a number when I signed up, is that the number I should put on my car? And what should I use to make the numbers? Just black duct tape?

I'll be reading the rule book and that will probably shed some light on things. I've signed up for Saturday and Sunday. Where do I find the roster, to see if I'm on the list? My confirmation email says my position is not guaranteed.

So thanks again.
Re numbers: No numbers are necessary for the Saturday practice. For Sunday, since you don't have a points card yet, you get a 600 series number and I see you chose 649 online. We provide printed 600 series numbers at registration, along with blue tape. Also, printed class letters are available at Tech.

I expect the Saturday entry list to posted anytime now.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Tom Glander

Post by Tom Glander »

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:I wanna ride in all the corvettes, too! I have parts of a corvette... :D

Blue painter's tape works fine. Printing out your numbers on a piece of paper and taping that is fine, too.

Roster is here: https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm ... 0DA521143A

I see your name on the list, you should be good to go.
I'm more than happy to have someone riding along. Find me... let's do it. 8-) Thanks for the roster link. Indeed, I'm there.
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

Tom Glander wrote:Hi Randy,

So thanks again.
As others have said, you don't need numbers on Saturday, and registration has some plain paper numbers that will work fine for your first few events, so you're all set for this weekend. If you raised your hand in the paddock and asked for blue painter's tape, you'd instantly have access to 20 rolls of the stuff. Walk around the paddock and you'll be able to check out all the other number options this weekend. Lots of guys have a full compliment of magnetic numbers, but that's not really an option on your plastic Vette. Vinyl numbers work on Vettes, but you can also use painter's tape in a pinch. I've been using white 2" vinyl electrical tape which is a little cheesy, but works well when I'm changing numbers with my co-driver (see avitar photo). There are lots of ways to get them done, and I wouldn't get hung up on it this weekend.

Check out the resources at http://solo2.com and make sure you read through our Novice Guide (actually, if you read nothing else, read this): http://solo2.com/MiscDocuments/CSCC_Novice_Guide.pdf

You're first autocross lap will be an adrenaline rush! It'll be a "sea of cones" the first time, but you'll figure it out (somehow we all manage to). As I said, I'll be happy to ride along if you'd like a little help on that first lap or two. We've also got several folks that have instructed with the club for years that would be happy to help you get your feet wet. We're talking National Champion level instructors, so you'll be in good hands.

I'd also recommend grabbing a ride or two with others on Saturday. Show up in grid with your helmet, be friendly, and just ask....you'll easily get some ride alongs. It's a great way to learn, and even when you don't learn anything you at least get the fun of riding a lap!

Again, come by and say hi, or feel free to paddock with us. I typically park with a great group of guys that would be more than happy to welcome a new face.
3dtech

Post by 3dtech »

I'm not sure how the numbering scheme works, however. I chose a number when I signed up, is that the number I should put on my car? And what should I use to make the numbers? Just black duct tape?

Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

There are a couple of ways to go with the numbers. Since you probably purchased a temporary number, I wouldn't go out and spend any money on magnets or vinyl or whatever.

Our rules specify numbers at least 8" tall and our class designation (i.e. AS, CST, whatever) at least 4" tall.

A typical first timer usually just prints their number as big as possible on an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper and then tape that paper on the side of the vehicle. Don't forget your class designation as well.

You can just use tape of some sort, but please make an effort to make the numbers clearly readable. For example, don't use blue painter's tape on a blue car, etc. Just a nice contrasting color and easy to read. If you look at the picture in my avatar, those numbers were just fashioned out of 2" white vinyl electricians tape.

You don't need numbers for Saturday's practice, but numbers are required to participate in the Sunday event (that's how we keep score, so you won't be allowed on course without proper numbers). Please put your numbers on before you go through tech. They can assist you if they see a problem with your numbers (i.e. they won't just fail you if they don't like your numbers, they'll help you out).

Also, we have additional "X runs" for purchase on Sundays (basically buying an extra 4 laps...just for fun, non-competition). if you purchase "X runs", please make sure you put an additional "X" on your car when you are taking them. The X eliminates confusion in our timing trailer.

Our Saturday entry list can be found here:

https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm ... B3D8DF7BF7

Our Sunday events do not have an entry cap, so if you signed up, you're in!

And just FYI for the future: We use our real names on this board. We're an organization that actually gets together and hangs out every month, so we like to put faces, names and cars all together when we hang out online as well. Just so we all know who we're talking to online and offline. :thumbup:

And feel free to start a new thread with any additional questions. We don't want to lose you in this two year old thread! :D