Who has attended Speed Ventures autocross events?

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Stephen Yeoh
Solo Chair
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Who has attended Speed Ventures autocross events?

Post by Stephen Yeoh »

I'm interested in hearing from anybody that has attended the Speed Ventures hosted autocross events. What do they do well, what not so well? Why do you go / like about their events?
Stephen Yeoh
Cal Club Autocross Chair
Adam Tarnoff
Car#: 49

Re: Who has attended Speed Ventures autocross events?

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

Stephen Yeoh wrote:I'm interested in hearing from anybody that has attended the Speed Ventures hosted autocross events. What do they do well, what not so well? Why do you go / like about their events?
The courses are easy to read and you can get a TON of runs. Jayson and Mike run a pretty good event - I'd say if you want seat time or want to test a setup change on your car SV is a good place to do that. Just keep in mind the surface, which is the same as our lot at AAA.
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
Stephen Strand
Car#: 519

Post by Stephen Strand »

When I go I do so many runs that I actually get burnt out before the day is over and leave early. :)
Mediocre driver. #519 Focus ST. Lead mod for www.reddit.com/r/rallycross
Steve Lepper
Club: TCC
Car#: 355

Post by Steve Lepper »

Much shorter/simpler courses: their course in in the infield parking lot so they are working with a lot less space. FTD might be 23-26 seconds?
MANY runs... last time I ran one I lost count after about 25.
No work.
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Now how'd I miss this before.

I've done a *few* SpeedVentures autoxes :)

What are you actually trying to find out? Most people go because they're no work and high run count. We've built a repore with several drivers who come out of loyalty, then there's several mini marquee groups that come once or twice a year, I believe they get a little discount.

Steve's cutting us a little short, we haven't had a 20sec course in years and years. Typical fast time is more like 34sec.

Jay W
Jesus Saucedo
Club: No$
Car#: 226

Post by Jesus Saucedo »

SOOOO many runs. Times in the high 30s if I recall. Even more runs possible as the day progresses because people start going home. It's great, like others said, for tuning. I tried two sets of tires once. Had PLENTY of time.

I like that no work assignment, either. You can spend the time tuning, eating, resting, etc.

Don't like that it's TOO easy to read. It doesn't change much from event to event. But still, good for tuning and seat time.

I should have a video posted here some place.

edit: Yup yup. Here is the vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1HhTpBUoO8
Stephen Yeoh
Solo Chair
Car#: 88

Post by Stephen Yeoh »

I'm trying to be open minded to how others run events and see if there's anything worth trying for our events.

For SV, if there's no work, how are cones handled? Any re-runs? Are all runs timed? Is there equivalent of practice and then timed runs?
Stephen Yeoh
Cal Club Autocross Chair
Jc Nubla
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 424

Post by Jc Nubla »

Stephen Yeoh wrote:I'm trying to be open minded to how others run events and see if there's anything worth trying for our events.

For SV, if there's no work, how are cones handled? Any re-runs? Are all runs timed? Is there equivalent of practice and then timed runs?
Stephen,

there are workers on the course that handle the cones (not a lot, probably like 2 or 3). There is a timing screen but you will have to jot down your own time if you want to. no re-runs, just run as much as you want as long it's your group to run.
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Jayson was a little tongue in cheek above about attending. His company Jaycom has run their autocross'es for several years.

I've only attended two, but here is my take:
- While the times are often 1/2 to 2/3's of our typical courses, they often with double backs (sections you run twice), just like many other regions who run on small lots do.
- Courses are designed to minimize workers, typically 2-3. However their dedicated to providing a good event... cones are picked up quickly... but unless something is a safety issue, you keep driving even if they are down. No scoring, no cone calls, no re-runs; you look at your time when you cross the line, they are practices after all.
- Jaycom services has a small group of paid workers, rather than requiring a run/work volunteer operation. That said, it's not uncommon for a few to volunteer and pitch in a hand here and there.
Jesus Saucedo
Club: No$
Car#: 226

Post by Jesus Saucedo »

Stephen Yeoh wrote: Any re-runs? Are all runs timed? Is there equivalent of practice and then timed runs?
The events I've been to, they are not competitions. They're more like timed practice runs. Since it's not a competition, there are no "re-runs."

All runs are timed, but like someone mentioned, you're responsible for keeping an eye out for your times. This is easy, as the clock is clearly displayed on the last part after the end gate.