Don LaFontaine

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Pat O\'Neal
Club: TCC
Car#: 0

Don LaFontaine

Post by Pat O\'Neal »

Don LaFontaine died today at age 68. You may not have known him by name or his face, but unless you lived under the proverbial rock, you knew his work. "In a world where..." was the beginning of so many movie trailers that bore his voice. The voiceover industry is one of the most competitive businesses there is, but this guy could literally write his own ticket. He was the definition of the word "icon", with regard to voiceover talent. While I'm sure his peers are mouring his passing, some are also celebrating the fact that they may now actually get some work, so dominating was his presence.

He also had a sense of humor, being able to parody himself in the Geico commercial he did, as well as appearing in one of standup comedian Pablo Francisco's comedy specials. Pablo Francicso does a hilarious impression of LaFontaine by doing some strange thing with his throat that produces a remarkable likeness to LaFontaine's natural voice.

Anyway, yes this is a somewhat obscure post in that this man was so far removed from the things we do and see everyday. But his legacy was something that each and every one of us was affected by at some point. And as someone that has dabbled in the voiceover world, I thought I'd acknowledge the life and passing of the king of that world.
Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Re: Don LaFontaine

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Not as well known a name as stage announcers Johnny Gilbert [Jeopoardy] or Don Pardo [SNL], but instantly recognizable, hence Francisco's hilarious parody.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

:cry:
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
David Avard
Car#: 13

Post by David Avard »

David Avard
'89 Honda Civic Si
'07 Mazda 3
'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee
'88 UHaul
Tom Tanquary
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 705

Post by Tom Tanquary »

I shot a Dateline piece on him several years ago following him from session to session and then back home. He was was a really nice guy in a town of schmucks. RIP.
[youtubeShortLink][/youtubeShortLink]"Our intelligence grew faster than our wisdom.... "
Larry Andrews
Location: In the Santa Cruz mtns, with two chainsaws and a beer.

Post by Larry Andrews »

Is it me or is he the guy who did the intro voiceover for Idiocracy?
Pat O\'Neal
Club: TCC

Post by Pat O\'Neal »

Larry Andrews wrote:Is it me or is he the guy who did the intro voiceover for Idiocracy?
It could have been you, but I'd think you'd have remembered it? ;)