Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

chrispark
Car#: 7

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Post by chrispark »

I have a AMS Alpha 7 Nissan Gt-r. What class is that?
Robert Puertas
Club: PSCC
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

Depends on your tires.

CSM if treadwear is <140
CST if treadwear is = or >140
DGao

Post by DGao »

Hi all,

I'm new to autocross, can you please class my car?
Bone stock 2004 BMW 330CI

Tires:
245/40-17 FALKEN ZIEX ZE-612+ 40R R17
225/45-17 FALKEN ZIEX ZE-612+ 45R R17

Thanks!
Scotitiealan2010

Post by Scotitiealan2010 »

Need help classifying my car. A friend of mine told me I'm in smf. But I don't believe so.

07 civic si 4 door sedan.
Mods are

hybrid racing shift bushings,
Short throw shifter
Cold air intake
Light weight flywheel
17x8.25 wheels with 215/45/17 tires
Megan rear tie bar
Front strut bar
Carbon fiber hood
Weighted Shift knob
Kevin Pao

Post by Kevin Pao »

The carbon fiber hood places your car in SMF.
BryanFlores

Post by BryanFlores »

Hello all,

I've been reading the rule book and need some help with classing my car.

2006 Mitsibishi Evolution 9

Engine:
-built 2.3l
-Manley 100mm crankshaft
-Manley rods
-Weisco 1400HD Pistons
-ported Intake manifold
-Ported Exhaust manifold
-Ported throttle body
-GSC S2 cams (275 cam)
-Forced Performance FP Black Turbo (56lb I think)
-3 port boost controller
-Speed density with 4" intake

Transmission:
-Quartermaster 8-leg twin clutch

Wheels:
-Enkei NTO3 18 x 9.5
-Federal 595 RSR

Suspension:
-KW -V3

Interior:
-AEM Guages

Fuel:
-Dual Walbro 255
-FIC 2150cc injectors
-Custom steal bradded fuel lines
-E85 Fuel

I think that's it but I'll update if I can think of anything else. The car will be making close to the 500hp mark but I'm going to drop the HP a bit depending on how it handles at that power. Thank you in advance!

Bryan
Steve Lepper
Club: TCC
Car#: 355

Post by Steve Lepper »

I would sign up for our local class CST, which is run-what-you-brung on 200tw or more tires (which i think the Federals are?)
BryanFlores

Post by BryanFlores »

Thank you Steve!
PeTeToTe

Post by PeTeToTe »

Hey all,

I was wondering what run groups I can register for in a stock 06 MX5, for Sunday's Event that happen to be in either groups 1 or 2 (I can only make it if I run early)? SS? STS? ... I don't mind if the car is not competitive just need some class that is not TO. Also since I'm asking what would the normal class be for the mx5, STR???

Thanks,
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Steve Lepper wrote:I would sign up for our local class CST, which is run-what-you-brung on 200tw or more tires (which i think the Federals are?)
Actually the tires he posted are 140TW,

If we updated the rules to match ST classes @ 200TW, he would be in CSM.
If we did not make that update, and 140 is still the break point then CST.

Since our rules posted online are several years outdated... I'm not sure..... :(
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

PeTeToTe wrote:Hey all,

I was wondering what run groups I can register for in a stock 06 MX5, for Sunday's Event that happen to be in either groups 1 or 2 (I can only make it if I run early)? SS? STS? ... I don't mind if the car is not competitive just need some class that is not TO. Also since I'm asking what would the normal class be for the mx5, STR???

Thanks,
You didn't mention any Mod's.
A bone stock '06 Miata - CS
Any modification (including non-OE rims) can, and will likely, alter that.

Run groups are not yet posted, so can't address what you may be legal to run in in the 1st or 2nd run group at this point.

That said... here is a general hierarchy of classes you car is potentially legal for from lowest to highest.
CS - STR - CSP - CST - CSM - SSM - DP - EM

The higher you go the bigger a shellacking you may take... but you'll be running in a class you car is legal for,
PeTeToTe

Post by PeTeToTe »

Craig Naylor wrote:
You didn't mention any Mod's.
A bone stock '06 Miata - CS
Any modification (including non-OE rims) can, and will likely, alter that.

Run groups are not yet posted, so can't address what you may be legal to run in in the 1st or 2nd run group at this point.

That said... here is a general hierarchy of classes you car is potentially legal for from lowest to highest.
CS - STR - CSP - CST - CSM - SSM - DP - EM

The higher you go the bigger a shellacking you may take... but you'll be running in a class you car is legal for,

Thanks Craig!!!
Car is bone stock, no mods and crap tires lol.

Do you guys know where to find all the classifications and rules for each class are? I've looked for it a lot and can't find it.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

PeTeToTe wrote:Thanks Craig!!!
Car is bone stock, no mods and crap tires lol.

Do you guys know where to find all the classifications and rules for each class are? I've looked for it a lot and can't find it.
http://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Craig Naylor wrote: Run groups are not yet posted, so can't address what you may be legal to run in in the 1st or 2nd run group at this point.
Run groups have been posted in the MSR flyer since just after the event opened. And the groups show up on the MSR entry list.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
willeastenP

Post by willeastenP »

Hi I need some help and have some questions about my car.
73 Porsche 914 heavily modified it has a small block Chevy 350 that's got some work, Porsche 930 trans, 911 5 lug conversion and breaks, 911 suspension, fuel cell, roll bar/ cage that extends front to back, 5 point harness, tires are Dunlop Direzza Z2 225/50R16
Dunlop Direzza Z2 205/50R16

Will the roll bar/ cage be an issue ? I also have a Helmet with a 2010 snell approval will this work?
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

willeastenP wrote:Hi I need some help and have some questions about my car.
73 Porsche 914 heavily modified it has a small block Chevy 350 that's got some work, Porsche 930 trans, 911 5 lug conversion and breaks, 911 suspension, fuel cell, roll bar/ cage that extends front to back, 5 point harness, tires are Dunlop Direzza Z2 225/50R16
Dunlop Direzza Z2 205/50R16

Will the roll bar/ cage be an issue ? I also have a Helmet with a 2010 snell approval will this work?
Looks like E Modified to me, with that size engine, minimum weight is 1800lbs. Helmet is OK. Go to this page: http://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules and read Section 18 (Modified Rules) and Appendix C (Roll Bar Rules).

Is this a race car or is it streetable? If it is a street car (or could be) you can also run in our local CST class which is basically anything that could be street licensed on 200 or greater tread wear tires.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Phil Juncker

Post by Phil Juncker »

Current:
'13 Fiat Abarth
Stock Tires and wheels (205/40R17 BSW all-season, Pirelli P-Zero Nero Three-seasons)
Eibach Pro Suspension

Near Future:
Koni Yellow rear shocks
Beefier rear sway bar (RRM)
Piggyback ECU unit

What would my current vs future class be?

Thanks!
Kai Hur
Car#: 114

Post by Kai Hur »

Phil Juncker wrote:Current:
'13 Fiat Abarth
Stock Tires and wheels (205/40R17 BSW all-season, Pirelli P-Zero Nero Three-seasons)
Eibach Pro Suspension

Near Future:
Koni Yellow rear shocks
Beefier rear sway bar (RRM)
Piggyback ECU unit

What would my current vs future class be?

Thanks!
You would be in STX (Street Touring Xtreme) both now and in the future. The fact that you have the Eibach Pro Suspension already took you out of stock class. You can add the beefire rear sway bar and still be stock legal, but not the suspension.
Forenz Arabian

Post by Forenz Arabian »

Hi,

I am new to Solo *in Southern California* and I would like to know the class of my car. *I live 5 minutes from El Toro Airfield* I used to participate in eastern Canada.*

I have a 2001 Boxster S and my goal is to keep it as low as I can in class.

At the moment, mechanically the car is completely stock, with the spare and tools removed. But I have already replaced the seat with a Sparco Sprint and installed a 6 point harness.
Another factor probably bumping my class is my rear tire width is 265(*300 threadwear*) as recommended on the stock 18s. Correct me if wrong, but both those items put me in STX.
Since, my rear tires are basically driving my class( I do not plan to replace them). This should allow me to replace shock/springs, sway bar as long as they use the same mounting methods.(+ camber plates).

Question: Rear Toe arms. Is it allowed to install adjustable ones? 14.8.B rule states no replacement of material for the bearing. So I could have them adjustable but no rod-end?

Thanks for your time!

*EDIT*: As requested by the next post I replaced my "phony name" by my real name, added thread wear.
Last edited by Forenz Arabian on Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

These are just generic comments:

1. When advising people on CSM/CST, people are using different treadwear requirements. Unless CSCC changed the rule when I wasn't looking, the break is at 140 not 200.

2. New posters coming here for initial recommendations -- not clear if they're CalClubers or from elsewhere and they just found our site. Obviously CSM/CST recommendations won't help the latter.

3. New posters almost always register with phony screen names. No problem, they don't know better. But unless we want to go down that path we should always alert them to our policy of regular names for registration. It's been kind of hit and miss.

4. We have the rules right here on our site. I don't think we share that information enough.
http://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules
2012_SoCalWRX

New and Looking to Class My Car

Post by 2012_SoCalWRX »

Hi, I'm new to autocrossing but really interested in doing some auto x events. I have a 2012 Subaru Wrx Sedan that has a Stage 2 tune as well as an AEM intake, Agency Power Downpipe, and a Nameless Axle Back Exhaust. My tires are also upgraded to 255/35/r18. I don't know how this effects me classing wise, so any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much and I look forward to meeting new people at each event, as well as pushing our cars to the limits.

Justice
Gerald Judianto

Post by Gerald Judianto »

What's the difference between STR and CST? I recently saw a non-factory turbo'd miata running STR.
Kevin Pao

Re: New and Looking to Class My Car

Post by Kevin Pao »

2012_SoCalWRX wrote:Hi, I'm new to autocrossing but really interested in doing some auto x events. I have a 2012 Subaru Wrx Sedan that has a Stage 2 tune as well as an AEM intake, Agency Power Downpipe, and a Nameless Axle Back Exhaust. My tires are also upgraded to 255/35/r18. I don't know how this effects me classing wise, so any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much and I look forward to meeting new people at each event, as well as pushing our cars to the limits.

Justice
I believe you would be in either STU or ASP (depending on how wide your rims are and if the tune is legal of STU)
Kevin Pao

Post by Kevin Pao »

Gerald Judianto wrote:What's the difference between STR and CST? I recently saw a non-factory turbo'd miata running STR.
STR has more rules to adhere by.

CST - has to be street registered and on street tires (200 treadwear or above).

Maybe the turboed miata signed up in the wrong group?
niki smith
Car#: 710

Post by niki smith »

Hello! I'll be signing up for October Autocross with Cal Club ASAP. It will be my first time.

just want to verify my 2017 stock Subaru WRX is DS class?

Also I will be running Novice all year. Do I need to add NOV or just N to my class letters? Any recommendations on a reliable place for magnets?

I will be doing a few mods eventually that may change my class but I'm hoping to understand classing more before those happen.

Thanks for the help!

Niki