Input on new drivers course & DIY Garage opening

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Gsxtasee

Input on new drivers course & DIY Garage opening

Post by Gsxtasee »

I'm moving back to SoCal and bringing my self-service auto repair shop with me but expanding the scope to include concierge storage and prep services for high-end & track vehicles and more importantly for your organization is the in-house drivers course.

I'm interested in your input on what you would like to see and, obviously for my business case, what would make the facility make you want to come and pay to use our services? The current location I'm working on has a little over 2 acres of paved lot dedicated to a reconfigurable drivers course. I suspect that it can be run for a few hours in one configuration then take a break and change the course to focus on a different driving style or to practice different techniques.. thinking of drift, Auto-X, hpde, whatever is needed.

Our self service auto repair shop is available with lifts, tool kit, work bench and instructions if needed and specialty tools for extra charge. I'm expecting to have the shop and driving course available for public use daily from 9am to around 8pm.

If you guys have ideas for what you want in a facility such as this we are all ears. There may well be business cases why we can't implement them... But we are going to try to incorporate as much of the input from the various active driving clubs & organizations as possible.

Thanks in advance for your input and hopefully together we can put together a project that brings as much fun and driving time as possible within reach of everyone.. as for pricing projections; I'm expecting to have drivers be between$30-$45/driver and I currently charge $20/hr for DIY shop rental.. things may change depending on actual overhead costs but this is what I'm trying to make happen. I'm putting my fb links at the bottom so you can see my reviews and how I do business currently & under my original business name.

Jason
Facebook.com/youdoautorepair
Facebook.com/theshadetreediygarage
Gsxtasee

Re: Input on new drivers course & DIY Garage opening

Post by Gsxtasee »

No one has any input at all on a project like this? I am a little surprised to see so little interest from your crowd.. I'm actively working this project on a daily basis and it's looking like probably a January/February timeframe for beginning operations.

So with that in mind;. What are some things that you would like to see in a dedicated drivers facility? Again looking at offering self-service and full service repair options, concern vehicle storage, and in-house technical drivers course that's reconfigurable to YOUR PREFERENCES.. Bueller??... Bueller???
Robert Puertas
Club: PSCC
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

Who are you?
Gsxtasee

Post by Gsxtasee »

I'm from SoCal, Redondo Beach. But been out of state in support of the wife's USAF career. Online persona is 'gsxtasee' from DSM's waaay back in the day up thru now with my current beater gvr4. My name is Jason Peters, I was active with SoCal DSM stuff and the GTR fiasco that was MotoRex.. Google my screen name + GTR and you'll get about 15pages of the sickest car story ever... Culminating in my parking it sideways under a semi-truck (drivers side) at about 60mph going up the sepulveda pass ...

I currently have a 2010 E61 535i Xdrive station wagon with FBO+, Coilovers, and a few other things, wife drives i3 & loves it, wants to stay electric.. play cars have been many DSM's, a Mazda repu truck, my R33 GTR fed. Legal, multiple otgers, Porsche, Audi, BMW, you name it & if it came with a turbo, I probably had one, crashed one, rolled one, or otherwise destroyed it.. A few did manage to escape alive here n there.. also was pretty active with SoCal Sport bikes before that imploded and merged into SBN...

Not sure what All to answer to that so whatever Else you want to know, fire away and thanks for at least giving this a shot.. I'm SUPER GEEKED about putting this project together and I'm about to package an offer on a facility with 2.5 acres of paved space, most of which will be dedicated drivers course..
Gsxtasee

Post by Gsxtasee »

I've done a good number of trackdays but mostly on the bikes. But you can BET I'll be much more active with you guys this time around...I went to several Auto-X's. a couple rallycrosses my gvr4, some drag racing for the hell of it but really love road course and to a degree, Auto-X.. really looking to focus my personal driving around the road course.. but will be getting the skills up by working with you guys, hopefully..
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Where is the proposed location?
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Gsxtasee

Post by Gsxtasee »

Despite concerted effort to get a location in LA basin, it just wasn't getting any consideration from planning department of any city where I Even remotely had a dream of affording the cost of a reasonable enough sized facility...
That is my pouting about being roughly between Palmdale and Lancaster.. that being the case though, there is ample feeder streets with apparently room to load/unload trailers, 2 miles from Sierra hwy. Also the facility will be available daily for come n go sessions so should easily fit into nearly everyone's schedule..
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Can you post an image of the proposed site plan that you submitted to the planning commissions? So we have a better understanding of how the site is portioned.
Gsxtasee

Post by Gsxtasee »

Short answer: it's pretty regularly rectangular shape with minimal variances..

*WARNING* spoiler alert. Mammoth post below on long-version to answer the question above and status of the project currently...

I'm working on dimensions as well as few other details still but it's pretty rectangular in shape, not too much of from it... But realistically there's still some hurdles to be cleared prior to this being 'THE site' so not much point in posting pics just yet. Honestly what I was hoping for from you guys, again, was more in line with the types of things that you would like to see included.. anything: rules you recommend for such a facility, procedural safeguards/recommendations, services you'd like to see included initially or as the project picks up speed, specific driving arrangements/styles/techniques supported/allowed/routinely in session, anything else you can see that you feel might make a place like this, SAFER, more fun, more educational, more practical, more profitable, more... Anything you have input-wise.

I'm trying to see if I can incorporate as much as possible, see which ones I already have planned or excluded for whatever reason, really even works for validation of my bead on the direction, scope, scale, etc is accurate & inline with how you guys see things & on the SoCal car culture & driving scene after being gone 8+ years... It's market research and due diligence.. all of the above while HOPEFULLY giving voice to the people who will be more actively using the facility than avg resident..

Also again, I really appreciate everyone's time and input on what is (for my own personal efforts thus far) mammoth project I'm undertaking head-on & solo... Im expecting the 3D models this week showing the prospective facility look/layout under operating conditions. The 3D visualization should help prospective investors more readily grasp the scale, scope, & other details of the project so when I begin pitching my business plan and numbers projections they are as excited about the project as i am.... As soon as I find out where these mythical 'investors' frequent; preferably in large numbers of at least 1-2 lol.. I'll POUNCE! Any details I get from you guys only tightens up my projections for facilities, services, patronage, everything. I'm going on with this as-is but would really like to be better funded given the size of the lease, alone.... Just generally wanting more operating reserves I'm close enough with my business experience thus far, my existing network of friends and growing contacts (& hopefully cooperation) with groups, clubs, organizations, etc such as this forum... That all things considered; I'm swinging for the fences and not looking back.. I'm going for the walk-off grand-slam from day 1 & as with you guys, I'm trying to get the word out about it and then start giving out pictures, map location, and start prescheduling groups of drivers, clubs, corporate accounts, clients for the DIY Garage & the storage services, etc. Obviously I'm holding back that last step until I get a little more info confirmation on the facility, get some kind of response from them as to my offer on the place, generally firming up of the project..

That's honestly.... A FREAKING-->LOOOONG post.. but also honest where the project is currently standing just so you see I'm not some kid on the intarweBzz-yo just dreaming.. this is being worked on one front or another daily. So once again, I appreciate your time, help, input, & whatever contribution you may make.
Gsxtasee

Post by Gsxtasee »

Ok guys I don't know if it's that I'm unknown on this forum or if I'm in the wrong section or what.. but really thought I'd get more input from your crowd..

Anyway here is a progress report in hopes that the lack of interest is simply pending something to evidence the reality of the project and likelihood of ACTUALLY getting it permitted and functional..

We sent our letter of intent today and I'm FREAKING GEEKED about it!!! Can't wait to see their response and then finalize the deal within the next 2 weeks ideally. With that timeframe in mind im likely going to officially open the doors 01JAN17 though I'll certainly have a soft opening in mid Dec to get some of the early kinks out of the system.

I'm really hoping this update gets you guys to take notice and provide some input because it's drivers and groups, & organizations like yours that will be most impacted and benefitted by the project and I would really like to see your input considered & implemented in the execution of the project. Thanks for any help you guys have given and will give in the future. I wish you all good luck and happy driving!
Considering that I in addition to creating 3 businesses combined into a fairly complex and higher than average difficulty level startup; I also have to move our entire family and my currently operational & fully functioning shop full of tools and equipment including 4 lifts & 4 big-ASS Snap-On roll cab tool boxes filled with crap, buy a house, sell a house, refi'ng a 3rd property, coordinate manage, & direct the creation of 3 entities, locate, negotiate, & secure a facility to support my project, then settle the family in to the new setting then hit the ground at a flat out sprint in the business in order to have a reasonable shot at what I will consider a successful venture...
Gsxtasee

Post by Gsxtasee »

Status update:

Submitted (FINALLY) letter of intent to lease the property so with any luck at all we should have the facility encumbered within about 2-3 weeks at most I should think.n It's looking like We are probably going to have to push the official grand opening of the project to the new year because we are getting too close for comfort to the time I have to physically move the family out to SoCal and all that entails. In addition to traditional stress, effort, & frustration of moving yourself/fam..I get to enjoy the added complexity, effort, expense, & PITA of moving all 30k++ lbs of shop equipment & tools, supplies, materials, furniture swag from previous conquests & endeavors, etc...

We are shooting for a soft opening in mid Dec and inviting local enthusiast orgs like this, BMW CCA, & others to come and take a crack at how my project meets the needs of those dedicated to driving as a lifestyle and, if it can be constructive and lead to improvements in the project; then I hope to receive the opinions/observations where we missed the mark or flat out failed miserably at some aspect you feel we should have better addressed.

Anyway, i hope to see some input from your members on how we can make this a phenomenal event right from the start;
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Hey Jason,

The idea of a DIY garage sounds great, if you were close, I'd definitely be interested. Not sure how many from the LA/OC/Riverside basin will be up to a 1-2 hr drive one way, to work on their AX or street cars.

That said your close to Willow Springs... you may draw some from the road racing crowd, especially if you offer storage.
Gsxtasee

Post by Gsxtasee »

Deleted and incorporated into the response below
Last edited by Gsxtasee on Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gsxtasee

Post by Gsxtasee »

Craig Naylor wrote:Hey Jason,

The idea of a DIY garage sounds great, if you were close, I'd definitely be interested. Not sure how many from the LA/OC/Riverside basin will be up to a 1-2 hr drive one way, to work on their AX or street cars.

That said your close to Willow Springs... you may draw some from the road racing crowd, especially if you offer storage.

That is true for the simple procedures but I promise you that it is totally pays for itself in hour-2 driving time to use the shop to enable you to complete a task in an after which could take the better part of a weekend if done in your driveway.. add to that the ability to use our in-house driving course to aggressively test out the strength and quality of the repair you just completed in whichever driving styles you prefer.. drift, AX, balls-out, whatever suits you.. all in one place.. and that place is absolutely NOT COLLOCATED with anything affiliated with anything resembling a LEO organization lol..
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Just curious, what kind of insurance are you projecting for your site? I assume general liability, but I wasn't sure what else?
Gsxtasee

Post by Gsxtasee »

Anthony Porta wrote:Just curious, what kind of insurance are you projecting for your site? I assume general liability, but I wasn't sure what else?

Insurance policy is a tiered sorta deal with different policies kicking in at different times for different exposures for different people but the base policy is a garage keepers policy & a gl policy and several others depending on the nature of the claim..

The reality of the matter for most people using the facility doesn't involve any insurance but rather, the incredibly descriptive, inclusive, and binding waiver of liability, appropriateness of use, fitness for service and most any situation that could be complained about. That must be signed prior to being invited to use any Portion of our unique compound.. but as with any important factor in business and in life; multiple layers of protection, substantial efforts at risk reduction/mitigation/management, then make your best run at it and try to have fun with every aspect of it (whatever "IT" is).