The February Events are Open for Registration

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

The February Events are Open for Registration

Post by George Schilling »

Here's the link.

Volunteers let your voices be heard!
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director
Car#: 436

Re: The February Events are Open for Registration

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

I'll do tech!
SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/
Ed T
Current Solo Director
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 711

Post by Ed T »

Any volunteer opportunities for a novice?

Also, looking to borrow/rent a probe-style pyrometer for the saturday practice if anyone's got one laying around and is willing to share :thumbup:
ES #711 Aston Martin V8 MR2 Spyder Vantage
Stephen Yeoh
Solo Chair
Car#: 88

Post by Stephen Yeoh »

I can be worker chief!

Neelu
Stephen Yeoh
Cal Club Autocross Chair
George Schilling
Club Representative

Ed T wrote:Any volunteer opportunities for a novice?
Always. One of the biggest ways you can contribute as a novice is to help clean-up after an event. This is a great way to help with an oft neglected club need and is the first step to becoming valued volunteer who we can call on when needed. Most practices sell out and many are turned away. However, those who are known to volunteer for extra work ALWAYS get in.

Here a post I wrote on the subject eight years ago.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
George Schilling
Club Representative

Randy and Neely thanks for volunteering :thumbup:
Ed T
Current Solo Director

Post by Ed T »

George Schilling wrote:
Always. One of the biggest ways you can contribute as a novice is to help clean-up after an event. This is a great way to help with an oft neglected club need and is the first step to becoming valued volunteer who we can call on when needed. Most practices sell out and many are turned away. However, those who are known to volunteer for extra work ALWAYS get in.

Sounds good! Sign me up for the clean-up crew :thumbup:
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

I'm available for Safety.

And Ed: I don't have a probe type pyrometer, but I have an infrared one which seems to do the job just as good you are welcome to borrow.
George Schilling
Club Representative

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:I'm available for Safety.
Thanks QV :thumbup:
George Schilling
Club Representative

Ed T wrote:
George Schilling wrote:

Thanks Ed. Help is always needed. We ask that if you or anyone else is present after the last run on Sunday to please stay and help until the CTV is packed and loaded. When everyone pitches in, the job can be accomplished in as little as 15 minutes. When only a few volunteers step up, the job can take 45 minutes of longer. It's important to note that we a club, not a business. It's up to everyone to help with club operations. This is a critical piece of keeping costs low by not having to hire workers.
Ed T
Current Solo Director

Post by Ed T »

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:I'm available for Safety.

And Ed: I don't have a probe type pyrometer, but I have an infrared one which seems to do the job just as good you are welcome to borrow.
Thanks dude! I'll take you up on your offer :)
Ed T
Current Solo Director

Post by Ed T »

George Schilling wrote:
Ed T wrote:
George Schilling wrote:

Thanks Ed. Help is always needed. We ask that if you or anyone else is present after the last run on Sunday to please stay and help until the CTV is packed and loaded. When everyone pitches in, the job can be accomplished in as little as 15 minutes. When only a few volunteers step up, the job can take 45 minutes of longer. It's important to note that we a club, not a business. It's up to everyone to help with club operations. This is a critical piece of keeping costs low by not having to hire workers.
Sounds good George, it's a volunteer sport and I'm happy to help. Question, what if my run group on Sunday is in the AM?
George Schilling
Club Representative

Ed T wrote:
Sounds good George, it's a volunteer sport and I'm happy to help. Question, what if my run group on Sunday is in the AM?
We don't expect morning participants to hang around just to help with end of day clean-up. However, if you are there at the close and are capable of helping, a helping hand is greatly appreciated.
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

Ed T wrote:
George Schilling wrote:

Hey Ed,

Just to clarify (in case you haven't run with us ever before), you will have a work assignment as part of your participation in the event (everybody does a work assignment). If it is your first time with us, more than likely you'll be given a "shagging cones" work assignment. So, if you're running in the AM, you'll run in your AM group and work in a different AM group (basically you run a group and work for the other group while they run). Be there early (like right at 7 when registration and tech open) and the folks at registration will check you in and you'll get your run group and your work assignment.

Outline of your typical day:

Arrive and sign waiver at gate. You'll get a colored wrist band to wear while on-site to let us know you've signed the waiver.

Find a parking spot to "paddock" and get your car ready (i.e. empty your car and get it ready to race).

Stop by Registration and check in. Three lines: Temporary membership (if you don't have a SCCA membership start here), registration, and work assignment. You'll get your official driver's wristband when you sign up for your work assignment. If you're confused, just ask, our registration team is friendly and will help you get all sorted. IMPORTANT: Registration and tech close at noon, so if you're running in the afternoon, make sure you get checked in and tech'd before noon!

Bring your car (and your helmet) to tech (in race ready condition with your numbers on, etc.). If you don't have a helmet, let us know and we'll set you up to borrow one of our loaners. You will receive a "tech sticker" that also functions as a mark off sheet for the grid person when you run (this goes on your front windshield).

Park your car and go walk the course. We have an awesome Novice Coordinator (Leonard) who does a Novice course walk....listen for announcements over the PA for exact times. Don't miss this if you're new!

Attend the mandatory driver's meeting. They will cover the safety rules for all, etc. They will also typically have the new folks stay after for a few minutes for some quick instruction on how to work course (mandatory if you haven't run with us before). The instruction will cover cones, penalties (off course/DNF and/or scoring cones knocked over our out of the box), flags (to stop the cars in emergency or to prevent a dangerous situation) and most of all SAFETY (nothing we're doing out here is worth endangering your life).

Then, when it's time to run: pull into grid. We have special lines for those requiring instruction (recommended!), for multi-drivers (two people sharing one car), and for single drivers.

Then, when it's time to work: please be on time! Report to the worker chief at the motorhome and Neelu (our Worker Chief this weekend) will assign you to your exact work station.

If you need any additional assistance, feel free to stop by over in tech where I'll be working all Sunday morning or just ask anybody, we're a friendly bunch! :thumbup:
Ed T
Current Solo Director

Post by Ed T »

Randy Gonzalez wrote:
Ed T wrote:
George Schilling wrote:

Hey Ed,

Just to clarify (in case you haven't run with us ever before), you will have a work assignment as part of your participation in the event (everybody does a work assignment). If it is your first time with us, more than likely you'll be given a "shagging cones" work assignment. So, if you're running in the AM, you'll run in your AM group and work in a different AM group (basically you run a group and work for the other group while they run). Be there early (like right at 7 when registration and tech open) and the folks at registration will check you in and you'll get your run group and your work assignment.

If you need any additional assistance, feel free to stop by over in tech where I'll be working all Sunday morning or just ask anybody, we're a friendly bunch! :thumbup:
Thanks for the detailed post Randy! :thumbup: I'd like additional assistance to drive faster :D
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

Ed T wrote:Thanks for the detailed post Randy! :thumbup: I'd like additional assistance to drive faster :D
Push the pedal on the right more! :mrgreen:

Seriously though, we have some of the best drivers in the country in our local group. Most are happy to instruct and help you out. If you're there on Saturday practice day, I'd be happy to hook you up with some good instructors (just introduce yourself at tech, I'll be happy to help you out). Or, if you're there on Sunday, we have a dedicated Instructor lane in grid (there will be a sign)....use it!....you'll be happy you did! :thumbup:
Ed T
Current Solo Director

Post by Ed T »

Randy Gonzalez wrote:
Ed T wrote:Thanks for the detailed post Randy! :thumbup: I'd like additional assistance to drive faster :D
Push the pedal on the right more! :mrgreen:

Seriously though, we have some of the best drivers in the country in our local group. Most are happy to instruct and help you out. If you're there on Saturday practice day, I'd be happy to hook you up with some good instructors (just introduce yourself at tech, I'll be happy to help you out). Or, if you're there on Sunday, we have a dedicated Instructor lane in grid (there will be a sign)....use it!....you'll be happy you did! :thumbup:
Thanks Randy! I'll look for you on Saturday at tech :thumbup: I also did not know about the instructor lane on Sunday!
Charles Kim

Post by Charles Kim »

Saturday: Tech for Charles Kim, Something not physical for Jocelin (timing / gate is good)

Saturday night, we'd like to help course setup for Sunday work assignment if possible.

Thanks!
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

Hey Charles,

The Saturday tech spots are already spoken for in February. When I'm tech chief, I typically try and offer them to the folks that take the crummy Sunday spots at previous events first (i.e. the first Sunday tech shift is long and steps all over your course walk time, so it's not always easy to fill).

Happy to have you work a tech shift on Sunday if the course changeover doesn't work out for you.
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Ill do course
George Schilling
Club Representative

Anthony Porta wrote:Ill do course
:thumbup:
Charles Kim

Post by Charles Kim »

Does Porta need any help setting up / designing for Saturday? We will be in on Thurs so I can be around on Friday to do it.
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Charles Kim wrote:Does Porta need any help setting up / designing for Saturday? We will be in on Thurs so I can be around on Friday to do it.
Great Friday Help will be appreciated. Ill put you down. That with helping with the changeover will count as your work assignment for both days. Should I put Jocelin down as well?
Charles Kim

Post by Charles Kim »

I think the Friday setup might be too much for her (medical condition) unless it's something easy like grid.

Friday and Saturday course setups for me.
Saturday timeslips or gate for her during the practice event and Saturday course setup (for Sunday) for her please.

Thank you!
Danny Castillo
Car#: 175

Post by Danny Castillo »

I can help with T&S if needed.
Danny Castillo
#175 A Street
2004 Corvette Z06