Newbie Here!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

O Prachumsri
Car#: 811

Newbie Here!

Post by O Prachumsri »

Hi All,

My name is O ("Oh") and I am planning on attending the Feb 18th practice session and/or the Feb 19th event. This will be my first time Autocrossing with no prior racing experience (other than the occasional karting...) Is the Feb 18th practice already full? and is it okay to attend only the practice session and not the sunday event? Thank you and looking forward to being part of the Cal Club community!
1987 AW11 MR2
Stephen Yeoh
Solo Chair
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Re: Newbie Here!

Post by Stephen Yeoh »

Welcome O.

Please visit our online registration (solo2.motorsportsreg.com) to see if the practice event is full. Saturday and Sunday are separate events with different entry limits. You can attend one, and not the other if you choose.
Stephen Yeoh
Cal Club Autocross Chair
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director
Car#: 436

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

Hey O,

Looks to me like practice is pretty full, but you can always register and get on the wait list (they'll let you know a few days before if you get in). The Sunday events don't typically have an entry limit, so you can get into the event no problem.

Let them know it's your first time out at the registration table, and the friendly folks there will get you all sorted out. We also have dedicated "instructor" lane in grid if you would like some free instruction from an experienced member of our group (if this is your first time, take advantage of this!).

Either way, don't wait, get signed up and get out there! :thumbup:
SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/
O Prachumsri

Post by O Prachumsri »

Hey Stephen and Randy

Sounds good! I'll go ahead and register for the practice then. So i won't get charged if i don't get in to that right? Also just wondering, how many runs do we typically get on the Sunday events?

Also, I posted this in the classing section but figured I might as well post it here also...I just want to make sure I class my car correctly :) these are the mods I have:

TRD lowering springs
Koni Yellows rebound adjustable shocks
Dunlop Direzza 205 sections tires (stock is 185 i believe)
Enkei's RPF1 15 in. diameter (stock is 14 in.)
Short Shifter
Aftermarket steering wheel
Polyurethane suspension bushings
Polyurethane engine mount bushing

Am I correct in classifying my car as a street touring sport (STS) and since I am a novice it would be NOV STS ?

Thanks
O
1987 AW11 MR2
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

O Prachumsri wrote:Hey Stephen and Randy

Sounds good! I'll go ahead and register for the practice then. So i won't get charged if i don't get in to that right? Also just wondering, how many runs do we typically get on the Sunday events?

Thanks
O
You are only charged if you get into the event.

Sunday events are 4 runs. However, you can purchase an additional set (referred to as X-runs) for $25 and they do not require an additional work assignment. These can only be purchased at the event, as we limit how many sets of X-runs can be added per group.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Lok An

Post by Lok An »

I'm also a newbie here and since the practice session this Friday is full, can I just show up to the event to see what it's like? I've done a couple track days/autox sessions with speed ventures and I want to see what SCCA is like.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Lok An wrote:I'm also a newbie here and since the practice session this Friday is full, can I just show up to the event to see what it's like? I've done a couple track days/autox sessions with speed ventures and I want to see what SCCA is like.
Practice is on Saturday, but yes, you can just show up to see how we do things. And often get rides with those in the event.
Lok An

Post by Lok An »

Rick Brown wrote:
Lok An wrote:I'm also a newbie here and since the practice session this Friday is full, can I just show up to the event to see what it's like? I've done a couple track days/autox sessions with speed ventures and I want to see what SCCA is like.
Practice is on Saturday, but yes, you can just show up to see how we do things. And often get rides with those in the event.
Meant Saturday but typed Friday.. I'll bring my helmet and see you guys out there!
Stephen Yeoh
Solo Chair
Car#: 88

Post by Stephen Yeoh »

O Prachumsri wrote:
Also, I posted this in the classing section but figured I might as well post it here also...I just want to make sure I class my car correctly :) these are the mods I have:

TRD lowering springs
Koni Yellows rebound adjustable shocks
Dunlop Direzza 205 sections tires (stock is 185 i believe)
Enkei's RPF1 15 in. diameter (stock is 14 in.)
Short Shifter
Aftermarket steering wheel
Polyurethane suspension bushings
Polyurethane engine mount bushing

Am I correct in classifying my car as a street touring sport (STS) and since I am a novice it would be NOV STS ?

Thanks
O
Hi O,

Other than guessing you have some sort of Toyota because of the TRD, I don't see any car year or model. Hard to answer the classing question without a little extra info. The NOV part would be correct.

Stephen
Stephen Yeoh
Cal Club Autocross Chair
O Prachumsri

Post by O Prachumsri »

Stephen Yeoh wrote:
Hi O,

Other than guessing you have some sort of Toyota because of the TRD, I don't see any car year or model. Hard to answer the classing question without a little extra info. The NOV part would be correct.

Stephen
Oops! Sorry about that. I posted the full classing question in the Classing Cars thread and already got it answered.

The car is a 1987 Mr2 NA.

- O
1987 AW11 MR2
O Prachumsri

Post by O Prachumsri »

Hello!

I purchased a point card but on the PayPal link, I could not find the place to "Click on Notes to Solo Membership Chairman" to send the required info, where should I send my contact info in?

Thank you,

O
1987 AW11 MR2
Paul Molina
Car#: 274

Post by Paul Molina »

O Prachumsri wrote:Hello!

I purchased a point card but on the PayPal link, I could not find the place to "Click on Notes to Solo Membership Chairman" to send the required info, where should I send my contact info in?

Thank you,

O
I had the same problem
Send a email to Mike Nakata mnakata@solo2.com
Paul
O Prachumsri

Post by O Prachumsri »

Sent! Thank you Paul.
1987 AW11 MR2
O Prachumsri

Post by O Prachumsri »

I recently purchased a point cards for #811, checked the listings on the Solo2.com page and saw it was available. The 20$ charge went through but I have no received any notification or confirmation that that number has been reserved for me(if there is any?). Anyways, I checked the event registration for El Toro on March 19th and saw that #811 has already been reserved by someone else, how do I go about changing my points card number?

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you,

O
1987 AW11 MR2
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

O Prachumsri wrote:I recently purchased a point cards for #811, checked the listings on the Solo2.com page and saw it was available. The 20$ charge went through but I have no received any notification or confirmation that that number has been reserved for me(if there is any?). Anyways, I checked the event registration for El Toro on March 19th and saw that #811 has already been reserved by someone else, how do I go about changing my points card number?

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you,

O
Same as above, email to Mike Nakata mnakata@solo2.com. He is the membership chair and maintains the listing at solo2.com and permanent numbers on MSR (although some others can update that, too). I know he is a little behind on all the renewals and new members. Provide several choices for your number.
O Prachumsri

Post by O Prachumsri »

Thanks Rick!

I've emailed Mike a few times with my numbers but have not heard anything back...should I go ahead and register for the March Event with the number I want (that is un-reserved of course) or should I wait some more. Would be nice to know which points card number I got so I can order magnetic numbers soon...

Thank you,

O
1987 AW11 MR2
O Prachumsri

Post by O Prachumsri »

Update:

Sent Mike a PM on the forums....waiting for a response. If anyone could help by speeding up this process I would appreciate it! I paid for the points card on Feb 22 and still waiting for a confirmed number....

Thank you,

O
1987 AW11 MR2
O Prachumsri

Post by O Prachumsri »

Update:

Has been taken care of. Thank you Mike!
1987 AW11 MR2