Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Michael Palero, Leonard Cachola

Ed Wang

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Postby Ed Wang » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:42 pm

Hey all, just wanted to make sure I classed my car correctly before I show up to my first AutoX event. I drive a 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 (2.3T) with some basic mods:

Autotech HPFP Internals
Corksport Short Ram Intake
HKS Catback Exhaust
KW V1 Coilovers
JBR Rear & Passenger Side Motor Mounts
OEM Spin-On Oil Filter Conversion Kit
SPC Rear Camber Arms
18x8.5 +25 Wheels (Stock are 18x7)
215/40R18 Hankook Ventus V12 (OEM are 215/45)

My understanding is that this setup would place me in STX. Can anyone give me a quick verification? Thanks a bunch! :D

Garrett Johnsen

Postby Garrett Johnsen » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:36 pm

Hello,

Sunday, July 9th will be my first ever autocross event. I have a 99' Mazda Miata. Car is mostly stock except it has coilovers, wheels, and a roll bar. It currently has garbage all season tires on it. What class should I be running in? Thank you!

Ryan Doherty

Postby Ryan Doherty » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:52 pm

Hello!

I have a street legal registered 1984 Corvette with stock suspension, numbers matching engine bored to 355 and Contiental Extreme Contact tires. The curveball is an exceptionally large weight reduction - the body has been removed and the car is caged. I would appreciate understanding what class this fits into and if no class works, could I still attend practice days?

Thanks,
Ryan
Attachments
1984 Corvette Cage.jpg
1984 Corvette Cage.jpg (61.88 KiB) Viewed 82 times

Douglas Kerr

Postby Douglas Kerr » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:53 pm

Michael Palero wrote:Post your Car Classing questions here! We'll class your car!

Hello. I am new to autocross, and I can't find an answer to my car class. I have a Fiat 500e. I note that the base Fiat 500 is excluded due to stability issues. The 500e is an electric vehicle with a 600+ pound battery pack a foot above the ground. The 500e certainly is not a base 500. But, then again, it is not a 500 Abarth, which is allowed under the SCCA rules. So we have a conundrum given that the lowest 500 is excluded, but the fast Abarth is allowed.

As Car & Driver in a comparison of electric cars notes, "The 500e was quickest through the slalom thanks to its racier Firestone tires, fast steering, and tight roll control." There is no stability issue with the 500e given the ballast of a 600 lb battery.

Please let me know if the Fiat 500e is allowed at the event, and what class it may be placed, in addition to novice.

Thanks, Doug

Eric Wong

Postby Eric Wong » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:11 am

Hello, I'm also new to autocross and have a new 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV LT.

It has a 900+ lb battery on the floor and the lead designer is an SCCA racer.

It looks like it's already done autocrossing in Michigan:
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinio ... 102600828/

Mine is nearly stock, except I replaced both front 215/50 R17 tires after damaging one on a pothole and upsized to 225/50 R17 (still using the OE wheel) to reduce the probability of further curb/pothole damage.

Return to “New to Autocross/New to the Forum”