Bolt EV co-driver position available for December

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Eric Wong

Bolt EV co-driver position available for December

Post by Eric Wong »

I'm still a newbie and not completely sure how co-driving works; but I would love to share my car with somebody capable of going fast, curious about an EV, and can help both me and my car improve over multiple runs.

The car won't be competitive with dirt cheap summer tires; so it'll just be a fun exercise if somebody is curious about autocrossing an EV and is willing to give up points or wins for one event. It's a fun car and I wouldn't have discovered autocrossing if it weren't for it.

Will I still be able to purchase X-runs with a co-driver?
If not, it's fine; I'll ride along with my co-driver at least.

I expect the Bolt to be classified when the Fastrack is published on Nov 20, so I should be running it for the December event.

It's probably close to a VW GTI. At least Chevy did a media event a few months back where various journalists autocrossed it against a GTI and it was close.

No need to reimburse me for electricity or wear-and-tear; there's not much in an EV. I tend to overdrive this car because there's few things to break, even.

Tires: Riken Raptor ZR 215/50 R17 (300 AA A) on cast 17x6.5 wheels (44mm offset) from the factory for HS

I still have lightweight Cruze Eco 17x7 (42mm offset) wheels if I decide to move to Street Touring in the future (or hypermile on LRR tires to distant events!).

I'll have a gallon sprayer to keep the tires cool.

I got -0.8 deg camber and some toe out in front from West End. -1.3 deg in the
back and factory toe in (no adjustments)

No suspension changes, yet; it gets unsettled on bigger bumps, but it seems good on smaller bumps and corners well. I'm no suspension engineer, but the shocks don't seem great.

Caveat: the motor becomes less powerful as the charge level goes down; but only slightly (I've never felt it become weaker).

I don't have any recording setup; but you're welcome to bring one and mount it.
The car has an OBD-II port for data gathering.

I don't use a CG-Lock on this car since the seatbelt locks easily.
The buckle is rather high, and the CG-lock was digging into me at my seating position.

Some notes about driving the car: FWD, instant torque, 1-speed transmission with two drive modes, D and L

D - like an automatic which creeps forward and with little regenerative brake (regen). Probably the best option for right-foot brakers when it comes to maintaining speed after braking.

L - like a manual, except it'll slow the car to a dead stop. I suggest left-foot braking to maintain speed through corners after braking; otherwise regen will slow the car too much if you need to move your foot between brake and accelerator.

You can flick back on the shift knob while in either of these modes to quickly toggle into the other while driving. Regardless of which mode you use on course, use L in staging to keep heat off brakes.

There is also a regen paddle at 9:00 on the steering wheel which increases regen in either mode while its held. It doesn't matter how hard you pull it, it doesn't change the amount of regen; but there's still more regen in L with the paddle down. The paddle only comes into effect at zero throttle; so modulating speed is probably best done in L. There's also some lag for the paddle, so maximizing its effectiveness means holding it down for around 0.5s before you lift completely.

The paddle is great for normal driving, but I'm not sure if it's worth using for AX.

Traction Control can be disabled. Stability Control only stays disabled until the car reaches a certain speed (around 30-40mph, I think).

Steering boost is electric and speed-sensitive; no PS fluid to overheat.
The brake pedal is blended (regen and friction), but it feels like normal friction brakes (unlike some hybrids).

Sport Mode changes the throttle response and reduces steering boost. It might change TC and SC behavior, I'm not sure. The Sport throttle response is a bit sensitive for my tastes; but I might still use it in AX.

Spectators won't be able to tell when we're using the brake pedal or lifting; the brake light comes on once there's enough G-force from regen. And you might need to honk at course workers, it's quiet :)
Last edited by Eric Wong on Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director
Club: CASOC
Car#: 436

Re: Bolt EV co-driver position available for December

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

Eric,

I'll be more than happy to help you find some instruction for your first few events. I see you're signed up for our practice day this weekend. I'm the Event Master for the event, so I'll be "hosting" the driver's meeting in the morning before we start. We typically ask all the first timer's to stay after to teach you all the basics of working course, etc. Let me know who you are and I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have and find you some expert instruction to get you rolling.

If you really want get off on the right foot, I'd also suggest attending our autocross school coming up in just a few weeks. It's Nov. 25-26 at Auto Club Speedway. You'll get and entire day of expert instruction, and an entire day of practice (with all the instructors there to offer additional help, etc.) for a bargain price. We only have 4 spots left, so if you might be interested in that, I'd sign up ASAP :thumbup: :

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/20 ... -ii-334694

Welcome to our club and I look forward to meeting you!

Randy Gonzalez
SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

PS: I only see you signed up for Saturday practice day. There are no X-runs for the practice days. You'll typically get at least 12 runs (maybe a few more if we can squeeze them in for everybody). You won't have to give up any of your runs to get somebody to help you out. We a friendly bunch, and we're happy to help new people!

And don't be shy when you're not running your car....get in grid with your helmet (or one of our loaners) and get some rides with other people....one of the best ways to learn the sport! :thumbup: Again, I'll be happy to introduce you around and get you in some cars with some really fast folks!
Eric Wong

Post by Eric Wong »

Hey Randy, I've already run the last few events in LeMons... errm; CAM-C; taking advantage of the instructor lane on Sundays, and already signed up for Solo school.

I'm busy on the 12th or I'd be there, too (if the old Camaro survives another day...).

Any chance I could run the Bolt for Solo school since the Nov 20th Fastrack will be published (but not technically effective) and the school isn't a competition? I've only put down I'll be driving a Chevy; not any particular model.

I'll have two weeks to get the Camaro fixed if it breaks on the 12th; at least.
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

Hi Eric,

I checked with our SSS for the school and based on the Fasttrak approval, we're OK with you running your Bolt at the school.

See ya out there!

Randy Gonzalez
Eric Wong

Post by Eric Wong »

Thanks Randy, excellent news! Looking forward to the school more, now.
Eric Wong

Post by Eric Wong »

Just looked at the December Fastrack and there's no mention of the Bolt EV, or items #23165, or #22612 related to it; so I might have to drive another car this weekend at the school.

Emailed Doug Gill and got a vacation autoresponder...
I'm guessing the SEB ran out of time this month and many folks have vacations this time of year.

Randy / SSS:

Given the low CG as published by Chevy, is there still a chance I could drive the Bolt at the school?

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/ ... .tab1.html

Thanks.
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

Hey Eric,

Good news for you. SEB release the wrong fastrack initially yesterday, but just released the right one for December. The Chevy Bolt EV is officially classed in H Street!

https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net/us ... r-Solo.pdf

Bring the car to the school and let's wring it out! :thumbup:
Eric Wong

Post by Eric Wong »

Awesome! I'm glad to see the Fastrack got sorted out and will also register for the December event.
Mine would actually be in one of the Street Touring classes, just not sure which, and I'm fine being in CST, even.
I've posted about it on the classing thread: https://forums.solo2.com/viewtopic.php? ... 16#p111116

Thanks again and looking forward to Saturday and Sunday!
Stephen Yeoh
Solo Chair
Car#: 88

Post by Stephen Yeoh »

I drove the Bolt on Sunday. Too many electronic nannies, but it was still fun!

Somebody take him up on this offer.
Stephen Yeoh
Cal Club Autocross Chair
Eric Wong

Post by Eric Wong »

Thanks to Stephen and Isaac for trying my car out! I know Tom wanted to try it, too, but I ran out of runs, but there's next weekend!

Looking around pages 266-269 in the manual, I'm not sure if there's fuses I can pull to keep ESC off at higher speeds:

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gm ... Manual.pdf
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Eric, I saw that you tried emailing me through the forums. It bounced and went to spam. Please email me direct or pm through the forums with any questions you may have and I'd be happy to answer them.

Also, I will be at he practice Saturday and would be happy to dedicate some time to helping you. Please look me up.

Best,

George Schilling
Last edited by George Schilling on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Eric Wong

Post by Eric Wong »

Hi George, it was about my points card, but Randy and Anthony got that cleared up this morning. See you on Saturday and Sunday!
Eyezack87
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 24

Post by Eyezack87 »

Thanks for the fun time Eric. It was pretty surprising to feel what it could do. I'm sure with a bit more seat time I could manage better than the one 63.xxx lap I had. I may take you up on the offer next year if it is still available for a few events. Unfortunately I will not be able to attend in December due to how booked my weekends currently are. Hit me up if you want to try out some Federal RS-RR tires in your sizing. I found a rep in Santa Ana who gets me killer deals on mine. They have them in your size and they are cheap and great for practice. They aren't a competitive tire (1-2s slower) but I have plenty of fun on them :thumbup:
Isaac Lam
Blue 2010 STF Camry LE
Black 2001 ES MR2 Spyder (co-driver)
Eric Wong

Post by Eric Wong »

Thanks Isaac! So I'm thinking I will stick on HS for a while in an effort to lure some of my friends out in their cars. So, I'll probably want 205/45R17 in the future for 6.5" wide wheels. Not sure, yet, and I think my current tires might last me some more events....