Review of my best run on the practice course on 5-5-2018

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

frankie ho

Review of my best run on the practice course on 5-5-2018

Post by frankie ho »

Hi all! I don't know how active this forum is but I would like to hear some reviews of how I drove the practice course from last weekend. I am still new to autocrossing. Driving and learning the lines is still not coming easy to me. I had Brandon sit with me for 2 runs and he did give me great advice but with everything going on that day, I basically forgot everything he told me. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Car info:
2013 mx5 club
off the shelf tein flex z with 7f 5r spring rates
26mm front sway bar and oem 12mm rear sway
-3.5f with 1/16 toe out and eye balled rear alignment
225/40/18 federal rsrr at 33f and 30r

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPqSMH4KZos
Ed T
Current Solo Director
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 711

Re: Review of my best run on the practice course on 5-5-2018

Post by Ed T »

Looks pretty good overall for someone new to autocross :thumbup: Could be closer to some of the cones and the steering inputs could be smoother. Biggest impression that I got from the video was your car looked pretty loose. A lot of counter steering in transitions.
ES #711 Aston Martin V8 MR2 Spyder Vantage
frankie ho

Post by frankie ho »

Yea, I feel like the looseness is coming from me yanking the wheel and lifting to abruptly during the high speed transitions. Thanks for the comment Ed.
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

1) Looks like you're going into 3rd gear from the video. I wasn't there, but you can probably stay in 2nd most of the time.

2) Remount your camera so it's more centered & less shakey ;)

3) Start recording as soon as your instructor sits in your car and don't stop til they leave - that way if you forget something, you can rewatch the video.

4) How many times are you walking the course before you run? Walking more times (and w/ someone experienced) typically helps a lot. Many newer people don't take advantage of multiple course walks.

5) Welcome to autox!