Kia Stinger GT AWD or RWD?

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Ron Tsumura
Club: GRA
Car#: 190

Kia Stinger GT AWD or RWD?

Post by Ron Tsumura »

I was considering a new car purchase and wanted to know if there are advantages to AWD vs. RWD. I believe this would be an F Street class vehicle.
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Re: Kia Stinger GT AWD or RWD?

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Ron, are you asking specifically for competition use or just for street use? (I have no experience with the car and don't know any answers for you, but that could be useful info for someone else.)
Steve Coe
Club: CASOC
Car#: 75

Post by Steve Coe »

you may want to ask these guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPD1joDOlLo&t=49s

Steve
Ron Tsumura

Post by Ron Tsumura »

I was gonna email KMho but decided to post instead. Not sure if the car would be a good choice to autocross either? Any opinions?
Jacob Abrams
Car#: 728

Post by Jacob Abrams »

I can't imagine it would be all that competitive if in F street. At 4157 lb for the AWD 6 cylinder version you have nearly a 600lb disadvantage over say an E92 M3, and less power at the same time.

I think the RWD variant is quite a bit lighter, so it's probably about equal performance wise between the two.
Gary Thomason
Car#: 0

Post by Gary Thomason »

Ron, the Stinger GT is a great handling car for what it is: a rather on the large size GT sedan. The new Genesis G70 is a much shorter and lighter car that is based on the same platform and drivetrain. It's only just now being made available in the US though and is going to cost a little more. The Stinger I would suggest for road use in SoCal or autox is the one you saw in the video - the RWD with the LSD. Much lighter than the AWD version, and AWD provides no real benefit in dry weather racing over RWD, especially with the extra weight.

But the bad news is F-Street is ruled by Muscle cars like the Camaro SS 1LE, Mustang and E92 M3, and you're not going to keep up with any of those in a sedan - depending on who is driving of course. I don't see the Stinger classed anywhere, but F Street is my guess. The Wongs are moving the Camaro to another class, but still, there are better choices if you want to win in there at anything other than a local event.

Gary
GT
Gary Thomason

Post by Gary Thomason »

A great street car, BTW. Under 5 seconds to 60 in the RWD, and tons of room.
GT
Ron Tsumura

Post by Ron Tsumura »

Thanks! I will keep looking. Supra?
Gary Thomason

Post by Gary Thomason »

Actually, the new Supra is very intriguing, IMO. About the same size as FRS. There are some first drives and basic dimensions/specs online and in the magazines. A completely different car than the Stinger of course since it is a 2-seat sports car and has more power. If that sounds good to you, you might just want to wait on that next purchase decision. Classing is a complete unknown at this point though. :think:
GT
Steve O'Blenes

Post by Steve O'Blenes »

Ron,

If you do end up choosing a stinger or G70, I prefer the G70 by the way, let me know as I get a friends and family discount for Kia, Hyundai and Genesis cars so I may be able to save you some cash.
Steve
Ron Tsumura

Post by Ron Tsumura »

Thanks for all your helpful input!

I am trying to nurse my daily drivers a little while longer...
Earl Merz
Club: No$
Car#: 40

Post by Earl Merz »

Ron,

My friend is a Durability Engineer at Hatci (Hyundai's testing arm of the corp.) and ran the testing on both the Stinger and G70. When I asked him about the cars before I bought my 1LE, he specifically told me to wait for the G70 and do RWD if I was going to do any sort of performance driving. He said that while the two are similar, the G70 is a better performer. Now mind you, this was back in late Dec'17/early Jan '18 so things could have changed in the parts spec. But Hyundai isn't one to change things drastically and with such great frequency as another automaker I recently worked at.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE with Nav (need it to find my way around the course)