Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Post by Anthony P. »

Tim Sanchez wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:31 am

Is there a benefit for choosing one or the other (STR vs CST), I'm assuming you can only be part of one?
You can compete in one per race, but it's best to choose to compete in the same class for the year typically. As the year goes on more competitors meet each and often offer help in a myriad of ways.
Tim Sanchez wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:31 am I'm also still trying to figure out the membership process....I believe if I register for SCCA (Individual) that it includes the regional club (Cal Club) fees? And then in addition to that, it's advised to get a points card, which I believe involves choosing a club?
Yup, Scca national membership plus regional, (you can choose Guam region if your looking to save that $25. On the other hand with cal club as your region there is no gate fee at buttonwillow, so factor that in)

Then a points card, to collection year end points and secure a permanent number. You can choose no club as an option.
Tim Sanchez wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:31 amThanks in advance. Still trying to learn and figure this out....if there is a specific post or page that has this, please point me to it!
Your welcome. Likewise if you have any feedback on making this process easier, feel free to make a post or send a private message.
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Tim,

I'll add one more thought: when you ran with us before you had to buy a Weekend Membership. If you saved the form for that or have the ID number for it, that should qualify you for a discount on your regular SCCA membership.

So see if you can find the info on that if you'd like to save some money.

I don't know if this information is still current, but a Google search came to this: https://help.motorsportreg.com/article/ ... end-number

Mike
Shane Donahue

Post by Shane Donahue »

Tim Sanchez wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:31 amIs there a benefit for choosing one or the other (STR vs CST), I'm assuming you can only be part of one?
I generally encourage people to participate in the lowest possible class that their car qualifies for, as you will be more accurate in PAX index (Think of it like a golf handicap based on car modifications) and be more similar to other cars for time comparison and potentially competition down the road.

Sure, CST is an easy catch-all class, but math/handicap wise it's not going to do you any favors for the same reason.
Stalin Quintanilla

Post by Stalin Quintanilla »

I’m new to this. What class would I be if I got a ,13 Ford Focus st, stage 3 with E30 tune and lower sprints ?

Thanks
Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

Stalin Quintanilla wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:46 pm I’m new to this. What class would I be if I got a ,13 Ford Focus st, stage 3 with E30 tune and lower sprints ?

Thanks
Depends. I reccommend California street touring and some hand shakes with fellow competitors, it's easier when the car is there when they are modified.
Brent Bell

Post by Brent Bell »

Please help class my Mercedes-Benz 2008 CL-550. It is stock with a 5.5l v8.
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion

Post by Reed Gibson »

Brent Bell wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:47 pm Please help class my Mercedes-Benz 2008 CL-550. It is stock with a 5.5l v8.
I believe your car falls in to FS as it's a V8 Sedan that is not otherwise classed (NOC) per the 2018 solo rulebook.
Brent Bell

Post by Brent Bell »

thank you
Cary Larock
Car#: 46

Post by Cary Larock »

I have been doing the lemons and Luckdog racing with a 96 mustang stock motor, coil over shocks and a roll cage everything els is stock, no windows except windshield. What clas woul this be in?
Cary
Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

Cary Larock wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:34 pm I have been doing the lemons and Luckdog racing with a 96 mustang stock motor, coil over shocks and a roll cage everything els is stock, no windows except windshield. What clas woul this be in?
Cary
Hi Cary,

You can see a full list of rules with classing here https://www.scca.com/downloads/45372-20 ... e/download

What model was the mustang originally?
Is it registered for street use in any state?

Based on a lack of windows and I'm assuming interior it's probably in E-Mod.
Cary Larock

Post by Cary Larock »

No it is not reqistered motor is stock 4.6 GT
Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

Cary Larock wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:51 am No it is not reqistered motor is stock 4.6 GT
Yea, E-modified then. (And I'm going to assume you mean an s197 fifth generation mustang chassis) Potentionally you could fit in another class with some changes, but that's best looked at in person or by reading the rule book.

If you dont care about competition, we have a time only class anyone can run. You can also add extra runs to an entry on Sunday for more runs.
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

What tires? Cal Club regional classes CSM and CST are unrestricted except the cars must be "capable" of being street licensed. That means windshield, wipers, lights, probably bumpers. Whatever the CHP might pull you over for. CSM (not popular) uses Hoosiers and other DOT "race tires". CST (popular) requires street tires, TW 140 or better.
Cary Larock

Post by Cary Larock »

Looks like street prepared category. We have DOT 200 tread wear tires federal 595 rs rr it’s a requirement for lucky dog racing 180 or less. We have removed ac and modified fenders slightly and yes sn95
I’m going to just do Saturday and talk with you guys this is my first time and don’t want to make any trouble with you guys. I also have a bmw Z3 and a cobra kit car would like to try out with your group.
Cary
Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

Oh its no trouble. Bring your helmet on Satuday as many people have an empty passenger seat and will take ride alongs for a smile and an introduction.
Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

Cary Larock wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:34 pm no windows except windshield.
Cary
Removal of windows puts it outside sp, along with any interior removal beyond what's needed to cut out around a cage.
Joe Miller

Post by Joe Miller »

Hi All - I'm new here, can you please help me class my car?

2006 Pontiac GTO - Manual 6 Speed, 6.0L V8

It is mostly stock, the only non stock items are:
- Full exhaust from the headers back
- Cold air intake
- Mildly upgraded shocks and struts

Thank you!!
Joe
Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

Joe Miller wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:59 am Hi All - I'm new here, can you please help me class my car?

2006 Pontiac GTO - Manual 6 Speed, 6.0L V8

It is mostly stock, the only non stock items are:
- Full exhaust from the headers back
- Cold air intake
- Mildly upgraded shocks and struts

Thank you!!
Joe
California street touring
Street touring ultra (if it has a 100cel catalytic converter)
E-Street Prepared.
Maybe a Cam class as well.

It should fit in any of those classes. It really depends on who you like for competition and what other mods you are planning on making.
Joe Miller

Post by Joe Miller »

Awesome thank you Anthony!
I am a total beginner, I have never run autocross before, so I should probably go into the class that is best for a novice. I don't plan on any other modifications for now.
Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

Joe Miller wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:26 am Awesome thank you Anthony!
I am a total beginner, I have never run autocross before, so I should probably go into the class that is best for a novice. I don't plan on any other modifications for now.
I would reccommend California to street touring "CST" since it's a great group and usually quite large. We have a guided course walk on sundays at 8am to help people see the line. The course is different every time so I reccommend several course walks.
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Anthony P. wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:33 am
Joe Miller wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:59 am 2006 Pontiac GTO - Manual 6 Speed, 6.0L V8
Maybe a Cam class as well.
Does not meet the first rule of CAM:
Eligible Vehicles
•Vehicle must be either a domestic automobile or truck (pick-up or SUV) of front-engine/rear-wheel-drive (FE/RWD) configuration.

"Domestic" actually has a definition... It's not a just a brand... but a build location as well:US, Canada & Mexico built.
"Foreign" applied to cars built in other countries. The GTO being built in Australia. Same goes for the '70-78 Ford Capri having been built in Germany.... (which if legal, would be an awesome CAM T car w/ a built/modern V8 dropped in.)
Of course there is also.... domestic parts content, and foreign parts content etc etc.... those needed to be defined, so a Camry/Accord etc that's built her in the US, with parts from the US, protected the Big three from a "domestic" "Import brand. NAFTA & a global economy... fun stuff!!!

What I don't get, is how Dodge/Ram still qualify post 2009... as "Domestic"... being an Italian company. Politics!
Tom Kamman

Post by Tom Kamman »

Craig, you are correct about the Capri, but the GTO (along with the G8 and Chevy SS) are specifically allowed in the CAM-C section of the CAM rules

“CAM C (Contemporary) (car and truck body styles from 1990-2019, plus CAM-T
cars meeting CAM-C minimum weight)
• Included: Chevrolet SS (2014-16); Pontiac G8 (2008-09) and GTO (2004-06)”
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

I stand corrected...

Wonder why the GM/Holden's are allowed, but not the European Ford?
Robert Puertas
Club: PSCC
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

Craig Naylor wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:32 am I stand corrected...

Wonder why the GM/Holden's are allowed, but not the European Ford?
Mass.
Cary Larock

Post by Cary Larock »

Sorry 180 or more