Heritage Classic Street ,on a local note.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Rick Brown

David Barrish
Club: PSCC
Car#: 58

Heritage Classic Street ,on a local note.

Post by David Barrish »

Having proved that a locally prepared NA Miata is lots of fun, but the ship has sailed and I will leave the E Street class to those in the newer cars. So, for the time being I have the 1982 BMW 320 up and running. The car is smog legal, with current tags. The question will come up, why not FSP? The answer, is tires. Then you need wide rims. That mean having to work the fenders. And have the coil over struts with the hard as hades springs.

Not going to happen. That and I have a stash of RE-71R's that will work under the stock fenders. On 15x7 rims. With a 1.8 ltr. four cylinder. In a car that new put out 99 hp and weighed 2450 lbs.

Again, the car is ready to once again try not to scrape the door handles around the tight corners. Will see.
David Barrish

Re: Heritage Classic Street ,on a local note.

Post by David Barrish »

That was a fun weekend and a relearning curve. The first half of Saturday went well, the afternoon started off with hard starting and the car lost it's edge. Sunday morning it would not hold an idle.

I have to thank Robert Baltazar for finding the issue and providing the fix to get me into the event. And it held for the drive home. Almost running out of gas on Sunday, that was humbling. Thank you to Tom Berry for the gas. I am reminded that what the gage is telling me, is an approximation of the contents of the saddle tanks. Yes there are two, little ones, with a connection at the low point and a pump only on the passenger side. A transfer pump between tanks, showed up on later models.

Having some time to check on the things I repaired to get the car to the event uncovered a nick, that looks like bite, in a fan blade. The stress cracks make it obvious it is getting replaced along with a hose on the intake system. But it was fun and the car does like the wider tires. The door handles, survived until the next event.
David Barrish

Post by David Barrish »

Suspension and Steering Allowances
• Alternate springs are allowed, but must be of the same type as OE and attach at original locations.

It's not that I might spend "lots" of time thinking that this means that coil overs with adjustable spring perches are not legal in "Heritage Classic Street", HCS but I just wanted to confirm they are in fact not "legal". They would be legal for FSP

But it is the SCCA.

I am having a good time refreshing the 320, it has potential. Getting back up to speed is confirming that when you are staring over, you are beginning at square one.
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

The fronts are “coilovers” from the factory. The rears are not, if memory serves. So you get to use half the good kit! Maybe even 3/4. You just need to do math, and buy the right spring rate rear springs to go with the setup you buy. :-). Somebody out there in Bimmerland knows the answer to that question though...
David Barrish

Post by David Barrish »

Robert,

The rears on the E21 are the "coil over", the fronts are a MacPherason strut. They returned to a separate rear spring after this car.

David
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

David,

Even in Street Prepared, you're not allowed to move the spring location. If the car wasn't a coilover configuration from the factory, you have to go up to Street Modified before that's a legal conversion.

I am not familiar with the pre-E30 configuration. Are the rear springs around the damper or are they divorced, like the E30 and Z3 / M roadster / M coupe?

Edit: I just looked it up on RealOEM and yes, the rear is a coilover configuration from the factory, so compliance with that in light of SCCA standards at the national level means you could use an alternate damper, retain the spring location so ride height is maintained, and change the spring rate.

Or do our HC rules permit lowering? I can't find the HC rules linked anywhere on our main site, so I can't look that up.

Mike
Doug Teulie
Car#: 99

Post by Doug Teulie »

The HCS class Rules for suspension:

Suspension and Steering Allowances
• Alternate springs are allowed, but must be of the same type as OE and attach at original locations.
• Lever shock absorbers may be modified. They may be replaced with tube shocks unless they also serve as suspension component such as a control arm (Example; front shocks on an MGB).
• Non-lever shocks may be replaced.
• Alternate bushings may be used in original location.
Doug T
PSCC CSCC #99 /SCNAX SD #151 LT Points 23,600.
TEAM DHE/FAST 1976 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 SILVER SCIROCCO
TEAM DHE/FAST 1980 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 RED SCIROCCO
Need VW parts?--->http://www.parts4vws.com Need Wax?--> Mother's