2019 schedule planning - please read

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Stephen Yeoh
Solo Chair
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

2019 schedule planning - please read

Post by Stephen Yeoh »

OK, I'm writing this late in the evening after a long day. If I don't get this completely right in the first pass, feel free to help me fill in the blanks.

I know summer is fast approaching and many would like to make summer plans, so here goes...

A little bit of history:
In the past, we booked the schedule for El Toro and ACS for the entire year and published the schedule for the year at once.
This is what we have done in years past. However, with the changes taking place at El Toro, they went from allowing us to schedule the entire year, to scheduling 6 months out and at the end of last year, they were not booking more than 2 months out, which meant we had to wait until February in order to attempt to book our normal April event at El Toro.

This is when the fun started. We were then informed that El Toro rental rates were going to be $5000 (up from $3500) for an 8-hour day, and it would be $900/hr for each additional hour. Historically, we need a 10-hour day. On top of that, if we wanted to set up on Friday, we would be billed for time to set up AND they wanted us to end our day early to avoid concert traffic - the park is booked every weekend. With attendance lower than it has been, we can no longer afford El Toro.

With the heat during the summer months at ACS, we have been trying to secure an alternate location (Santa Anita), but with everything that has been happening at the race track with horses dying, we haven't been able to get a commitment. They are probably focused on more pressing issues.

At this point, we are looking at booking the remainder of the year at ACS and possibly doing something to adjust our schedule to start earlier in the 'hot' months.

Note that with the late booking, ACS is already booked for the month of October. Unless we can find an alternate site, we won't be having an event in October. If you have lot contacts, or can step up to help with securing alternate venues, we could use your help - urgently.

I'm sorry for the way the schedule is working out. i was hoping for the best, but that hasn't happened.

Thanks for reading.
Stephen
Stephen Yeoh
Cal Club Autocross Chair
David Watson

Re: 2019 schedule planning - please read

Post by David Watson »

We all know you are working hard Stephen, sometimes life does not go the way we want. Persistence1 Meanwhile, I am happy to go to more events at ACS, accommodates excellent courses! :)
1999 Mazda Miata, Lewis Hamilton, Ron Fellows, David Coulthard, Jacques Villeneuve, Laguna Seca, Spa Francorchamps, Racetrack of the Americas, Long Beach Grand Prix since 1992, Circuit De Gilles Villeneuve 98 -99, VARA Willow Springs BF Goodrich :crazy:
Howard Kopel

Post by Howard Kopel »

I'm sure all drivers appreciate all the hard work and effort. I second the notion that ACS is a great venue :thumbup:

DH
Scott McHugh
Club: GRA
Car#: 45

Post by Scott McHugh »

Is the Camarillo Airport still an active site with the Speed Limit Racing group & PCA?

S L Racing: www.camarilloautocross.com
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Scott McHugh wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:00 pm Is the Camarillo Airport still an active site with the Speed Limit Racing group & PCA?

S L Racing: www.camarilloautocross.com
It is not, currently they are building more hangers, so that area isnt being rented anymore.
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Did anything ever pan out with Santa Anita? I'm thinking since their horse racing events are now in question, they might be REALLY amenable to renting their lots out.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Kurt Rahn wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:01 pm Did anything ever pan out with Santa Anita? I'm thinking since their horse racing events are now in question, they might be REALLY amenable to renting their lots out.
They seemed to be overwhelmed with their situation. Mike keeps up communications but isnt getting much in return.