shaken, not stirred.... how are, our friends at ground zero?

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

David Barrish
Club: PSCC
Car#: 58

shaken, not stirred.... how are, our friends at ground zero?

Post by David Barrish »

I hope everyone in the Ridgecrest area are safe!

Bill, how are you?

The Strovers...

Earl?
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Re: shaken, not stirred.... how are, our friends at ground zero?

Post by Rick Brown »

Robert Puertas has heard from Bill via email, they are ok.
Via Facebook, the Strovers and Earl are fine, too.
Last edited by Rick Brown on Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Re: shaken, not stirred.... how are, our friends at ground zero?

Post by Bill Martin »

Sorry for late reply and thanks for asking. Internet was down until earlier today.

Personally, we're in great shape. No damage of any sort. Not even stucco cracks. Just occasional junk which was piled on top of things obeying the law of gravity.

I figure we got by easy because I'm built on slope of local hills which means I'm well coupled to bedrock. The people in town are built on sand, which sorta acts like a fluid. Think of a bowl of water. My house is attached to the bowl and theirs are on a cork on the water. Now jiggle the bowl.

Still, believe less than half of what you see on TV. Zero deaths, zero significant injuries, zero building collapses, only very minor damage I'm aware of like block walls falling over -- revealing no rebar and no concrete inside. Hell, I could have kicked that wall over. One house fire due to poorly secured furnace pulling the flex gas line apart. One trailer that had a short when the power came back on. Probably some other stuff, but I go with what the fire and police chiefs commented on in pressers. Don't pay much attention to media claims. Except for shelf dumps in the stores. Visited my local mini mart. As bad as it looked on TV. Twice!!

All the minor injuries I saw discussed were due to poor reactions. A girl fell down stairs fleeing in panic. A guy stepped on something rolling across the floor while fleeing in panic. Someone got cut running out of the house barefoot across broken glass. If in a modern wood house just look up to be sure you're not under something like a ceiling fan, heavy lamp whatever, and otherwise ride it out. No one got injured doing that.

An exciting ride. The epicenters were just a few miles from our house and one aftershock was less than a mile.