2/8/20 SCCA Video

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Rick Brown, Christine Grice

Post Reply
Howard Kopel
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:13 pm

2/8/20 SCCA Video

Post by Howard Kopel » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:13 pm

Here is video of my best time: 70.85 Fastest guys were running 69 with a couple of 68.
I was happy after not having my car for 3 months (clutch and tranny R&R) and missing lots of events......was a little rusty.



DH

User avatar
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Posts: 1193
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:30 am
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Re: 2/8/20 SCCA Video

Post by Anthony P. » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:30 pm

Here is mine 67.553, with an 8 tenths mistake entering the last slalom. Also, way too far off too many inside cones.


Howard Kopel
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:13 pm

Re: 2/8/20 SCCA Video

Post by Howard Kopel » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:58 pm

Anthony P. wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:30 pm
Here is mine 67.553, with an 8 tenths mistake entering the last slalom. Also, way too far off too many inside cones.
I thought best times were 68.XX
Guess track got faster after I left early :roll:
Anyways 3 seconds faster than my time makes me feel old and slow.
I wish your camera was mounted mid car not on side as its hard to tell your line in comparison to mine.
Could you critique my video ??
Can I have a ride along !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????? :D

DH

User avatar
Stephen Yeoh
Solo Chair
Posts: 589
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:30 am
Club: CASOC
Car#: 888
Contact:

Re: 2/8/20 SCCA Video

Post by Stephen Yeoh » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:26 pm

I prefer the video on the side even if it's 'lopsided' because you get a true picture of how close you are to the cones. The in car view is misleading - it's hard to tell if you are actually close to key apex cones. The line has limited benefit if you are missing your marks.
Stephen Yeoh
Cal Club Autocross Chair

Howard Kopel
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:13 pm

Re: 2/8/20 SCCA Video

Post by Howard Kopel » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:22 pm

Stephen Yeoh wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:26 pm
I prefer the video on the side even if it's 'lopsided' because you get a true picture of how close you are to the cones. The in car view is misleading - it's hard to tell if you are actually close to key apex cones. The line has limited benefit if you are missing your marks.
Stephen, I understand your point of view. But you can't really see the track ahead like you can in my video. AND you certainly have no idea where the cones are on passenger side in Anthony's video. :shock:

DH

User avatar
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Posts: 1193
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:30 am
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Re: 2/8/20 SCCA Video

Post by Anthony P. » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:31 am

Howard Kopel wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:22 pm
Stephen Yeoh wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:26 pm
I prefer the video on the side even if it's 'lopsided' because you get a true picture of how close you are to the cones. The in car view is misleading - it's hard to tell if you are actually close to key apex cones. The line has limited benefit if you are missing your marks.
Stephen, I understand your point of view. But you can't really see the track ahead like you can in my video. AND you certainly have no idea where the cones are on passenger side in Anthony's video. :shock:

DH
Well on a miata it has to be mounted super low. Here is a video from a corvette. You can see his head and where he is looking, his hands, and his track placement


User avatar
Reed Gibson
Executive Board Member
Posts: 388
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:33 pm
Club: SCNAX

Re: 2/8/20 SCCA Video

Post by Reed Gibson » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:44 pm

Anthony P. wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:31 am
Howard Kopel wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:22 pm
Stephen Yeoh wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:26 pm
I prefer the video on the side even if it's 'lopsided' because you get a true picture of how close you are to the cones. The in car view is misleading - it's hard to tell if you are actually close to key apex cones. The line has limited benefit if you are missing your marks.
Stephen, I understand your point of view. But you can't really see the track ahead like you can in my video. AND you certainly have no idea where the cones are on passenger side in Anthony's video. :shock:

DH
Well on a miata it has to be mounted super low. Here is a video from a corvette. You can see his head and where he is looking, his hands, and his track placement

I always like being able to see the driver so I can study the hands and see how smooth they're driving. Although in this case we unfortunately see the driver GRABBING HIS OWN DOOR SEAL :shock:

User avatar
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Posts: 1193
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:30 am
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Re: 2/8/20 SCCA Video

Post by Anthony P. » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:09 pm

In his defense, his kidney stones were bothering him. People of his generation weren't quitters!

User avatar
Ed T
Current Solo Director
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:16 am
Car#: 711
Contact:

Re: 2/8/20 SCCA Video

Post by Ed T » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:49 pm

A great mistake by SCCA was not registering the word "Autocross" as a trademark, because I can't even see the cones in that video for puretrack. It's like playing with a 1/2 size ball on a 9' hoop and calling it basketball.
ES #711 2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Post Reply