Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Link to weather

Post by George Schilling »

It would be really cool if we had a link(s) on this site that would take us directly to weather forecasts for the areas where we compete like Fontucky, El Toro, and Long Beach (I'm hoping).

BTW, looks like it will be windy this weekend. Be sure to bring anchors for your ez ups.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Re: Link to weather

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Better idea. If its really windy, take the darn things down.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Steve Collins
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 799

Post by Steve Collins »

In my short tenure among all y'all, I have helped save three Vette's, one servicable Subi and an expensive looking German thing from near certain destruction beneath the terrible stamping hooves of these finger-biting things. If there's not something at least as massive as an STS car securely lashed to each leg, It Ain't Tied Down. :shock:
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

I (WE!) was lucky the first time I used a Pop-Up. I wasn't aware of the potential problem with them. I think it was my 2nd ever event. Norton AFB. I was in Grid and noticed that my pop-up ... which should have been at the far end of the paddock ... wasn't there anymore. Then I noticed some people running. They were retrieving MY Pop-Up after it had blown across the active runway !!! :o
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

They don't get much more experienced then the Tunnells!

Doug Teulie
Club: PSCC
Car#: 99

Post by Doug Teulie »

I smell smoke in OC (Thursday morn).
The Channel 9 weather girl reported high winds out of the west for Friday and DRY strong Santana winds for Sunday.
Then she reported on the potential for fire do to the perfect “fire weather.”
Doug T
PSCC CSCC #99 /SCNAX SD #151 LT Points 23,600.
TEAM DHE/FAST 1976 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 SILVER SCIROCCO
TEAM DHE/FAST 1980 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 RED SCIROCCO
Need VW parts?--->http://www.parts4vws.com Need Wax?--> Mother's
Don Salyers
Club: No$
Car#: 42

Post by Don Salyers »

Doug Teulie wrote:The Channel 9 weather girl reported high winds out of the west for Friday and DRY strong Santana winds for Sunday.
If that was last night---that was Jackie Johnson not just "The Channel 9 weather girl ".

Don
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

A sampling of the weather forcasting sites says it could be windy any time between Friday and Monday.

http://www.accuweather.com/us/ca/fontan ... 1&metric=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/ ... undeclared" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USCA0384.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weathe ... n=USCA0384" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin ... pe=WEATHER" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
George Schilling
Club Representative

Christine Berry wrote:A sampling of the weather forcasting sites says it could be windy any time between Friday and Monday.

http://www.accuweather.com/us/ca/fontan ... 1&metric=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/ ... undeclared" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USCA0384.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weathe ... n=USCA0384" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin ... pe=WEATHER" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the links Christine. I looked at all of them. Of the five, Accuweather.com seems to be the most user friendly and is the easiest of the five to find the information at a glance or with a key stroke.

It would be really cool if we had permanent links somewhere on the board labeled Fontana weather and El Toro weather. The links could be put somewhere on the top of the page or create a new weather category under "General". I could see weather being a discussion topic in times of extreme heat, rain, or wind. What do you all think?
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Good idea George
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

I think this thread needs more pics of Jackie Johnson!
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

I don't think we need any more forums right now. As to any stickies I suggest you think of a more general topic that they can be included in that would include more information than just the weather, to fight the tendency of forum sites to end up with the first page being all stickies.

for max:
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

fap fap fap
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
George Schilling
Club Representative

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:I don't think we need any more forums right now. As to any stickies I suggest you think of a more general topic that they can be included in that would include more information than just the weather, to fight the tendency of forum sites to end up with the first page being all stickies.

for max:
This just isn't an excuse to post Jackie's pic again. Well maybe. :D

Aaron, I'll bet that if the links I've suggested are implemented, they would be used extensively. Most everyone checks the weather before heading to an event, usually more than once leading up to the day of. I think this will be a welcome improvement if you can fit it in somewhere where it can be easily seen.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

George, I know this is kinda high tech, but try to follow. In the upper left area of your browser (the thing you are looking at to view the internet right now) there is usually a tab and/or a button for something called favorites. When you are looking at one of the weather web sites that you like you can actually add that site to the favorites list to allow quick and easy access with just a couple of clicks. Ain't 'puters great? :P
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

grrrrrrrrrrr :D

Yeah ... but it would be nice to have them preloaded here with the correct zip code. I'm always having to look up Fontana's zip code ...
Last edited by Mako Koiwai on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

We don't need a weather girl to known which way the wind blows. ;)
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

Rick Brown wrote:George, I know this is kinda high tech, but try to follow. In the upper left area of your browser (the thing you are looking at to view the internet right now) there is usually a tab and/or a button for something called favorites. When you are looking at one of the weather web sites that you like you can actually add that site to the favorites list to allow quick and easy access with just a couple of clicks. Ain't 'puters great? :P
haha

couldn't have said it better myself Rick.
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Rick Brown wrote:George, I know this is kinda high tech, but try to follow. In the upper left area of your browser (the thing you are looking at to view the internet right now) there is usually a tab and/or a button for something called favorites. When you are looking at one of the weather web sites that you like you can actually add that site to the favorites list to allow quick and easy access with just a couple of clicks. Ain't 'puters great? :P
Pretty much what I was thinkin too Rick, haha.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Mako Koiwai wrote:grrrrrrrrrrr :D

Yeah ... but it would be nice to have them preloaded here with the correct zip code. I'm always having to look up Fontana's zip code ...
I happen to use weather.com and I added it to my favorites when it was on my local weather (Lake Elsinore). So when I click on it that's where it goes. You could save mutiple ones for each place you want, home, Fontana, El Toro and just rename the favorite.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

George Schilling wrote:It would be really cool if we had permanent links somewhere on the board labeled Fontana weather and El Toro weather. The links could be put somewhere on the top of the page or create a new weather category under "General". I could see weather being a discussion topic in times of extreme heat, rain, or wind. What do you all think?
George you I'm surprised in that although a great idea, it involves a bit more "work" for moderators and webmasters. And I know how you love to follow the K.I.S.S. method. :)
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:
George Schilling wrote:It would be really cool if we had permanent links somewhere on the board labeled Fontana weather and El Toro weather. The links could be put somewhere on the top of the page or create a new weather category under "General". I could see weather being a discussion topic in times of extreme heat, rain, or wind. What do you all think?
George you I'm surprised in that although a great idea, it involves a bit more "work" for moderators and webmasters. And I know how you love to follow the K.I.S.S. method. :)
Waaaa! Let authority do it... George is trying to create a liberal hand-holding weblink social assistance program rather than let people take responsibility of their lives and use favorites like God, John Wayne, and the NRA intended!

:lol:
George Schilling
Club Representative

Despite what all you b*st*rds think, I still think it's a good idea. Have pity on guys like Mako and me. :D

BTW, I'm anti-government, not anti let Aaron or Will do the work. :lol:
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

George Schilling wrote:Despite what all you b*st*rds think
Hey! I'm busy thinkin' about Jackie Johnson. Maybe she can cover the weather in Fontana live this Saturday.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Problem is that I have so many favorites already, that I can't find anything quickly and end up searching for them over and over again ...

Karen keeps mentioning something about folders and organizing??? :idea: