black friday?

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Jeff Shyu
Car#: 0

black friday?

Post by Jeff Shyu »

if you are on the internet as much as I am, and/or do any amount of online shopping, you have probably been bombarded with all the "preview our black friday ad" e-mails like I have.

I think i've received mail from all the major electronic stores, even newegg, but upon examination, i really haven't found anything that struck me as "wow, great deal, i don't know if i really need that, but i really can't pass up that price!".

Is anyone making plans to try to get good deals early friday this year? Seems like the retailers are all pretty nervous, and trying to push their ware as much as possible.. which begs the question, is Black Friday really going to be the best deal? or will the prices drop more as it gets closer to Christmas?
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Re: black friday?

Post by Rick Brown »

Saw news reports last night of people already camping out to be first in line. Not sure there's anything I would want bad enough to do that. Obviously their time has no value. And whose idea was it that it makes sense to open a store at 4am? I did go to Radio Shack last year at 8:30am (they opened at 8am) and got the last two GPS units on sale for half price and only had to stand in line for about 5 minutes.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 18

Post by Michael Palero »

Make sure you get some rest the night before.

I was 5th in line at CompUSA for BlackFriday and totally forgot what I was there for when the doors rushed open :cry: :cry:
I remembered later when I saw an older lady carrying my laptop out of the store...
Jeff Shyu

Post by Jeff Shyu »

i thought Best Buy was going to ask the police clear the line a day before the sale (guess they had incidents in line in the previous years from people trying to cut in). maybe that's not at all locations though. I know 2 of the stores my friends work at were talking about that.

I just don't think people have the same expendable cash reserve this year as they have in the previous years, or at least much less willing to dip into that reserve.
Jeff Shyu

Post by Jeff Shyu »

i need a new travel sized laptop, but since a relative works for ASUS, the employee pricing is going to be better than what i'm gonna find on sale on Friday, i think.
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 18

Post by Michael Palero »

Jeff Shyu wrote:i need a new travel sized laptop, but since a relative works for ASUS, the employee pricing is going to be better than what i'm gonna find on sale on Friday, i think.
What's travel size to you? EEPC size or 13" wide?
http://www.target.com/ASUS-8-9-Netbook- ... 0pc&page=1
Jeff Shyu

Post by Jeff Shyu »

I'd like a 14.1".. those 8.9" are definitely small, but pretty hard to work on, even with my small hands.

also, i need as big of a HD as i can get, so none of those SSD's. one of the main tasks for the laptop is to store the pictures from my camera. i can easily fill 8 gigs a day. when i went back to taiwan recently, i deleted just about everything on my current laptop (30GB HD) just so i can put pictures on, after some very stringent selection process. Figured I'd want at least 120gig HD for the new laptop.

and the 17" Dell weighs a ton.. >_<
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Talya and I went to Fashion Island and South Coast Plaza a couple of days ago - it sure didn't seem like there was a recession at those two places - had to park in the boonies.
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Best Black Friday email I've gotten so far was a shockingly good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... &viewitem=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Jeff Shyu

Post by Jeff Shyu »

Bill Schenker wrote:Talya and I went to Fashion Island and South Coast Plaza a couple of days ago - it sure didn't seem like there was a recession at those two places - had to park in the boonies.
well, fashion island and SCP aren't exactly full of people impacted by the economy.. :P
Pat O\'Neal
Club: TCC

Post by Pat O\'Neal »

Rick Brown wrote:And whose idea was it that it makes sense to open a store at 4am?
Ontario Mills is opening at MIDNIGHT and I've heard several people (all women) say they are going. Girls are so stupid ;).
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I soooo hate malls.

If its not available through Amazon with free shipping, or COSTCO... Or eBay if I'm looking for old car parts or antiques for Stacey, then I'm probably not going to buy it.
Occasionally, newegg.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:I soooo hate malls.

If its not available through Amazon with free shipping, or COSTCO... Or eBay if I'm looking for old car parts or antiques for Stacey, then I'm probably not going to buy it.
Occasionally, newegg.
You are so Republican Steve! :P
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

George Schilling wrote:
Steve Ekstrand wrote:I soooo hate malls.

Occasionally, newegg.
You are so Republican Steve! :P
I'm with Steve. I hate malls. I wouldn't set foot in one on Friday unless forced at gunpoint.
Jeff Shyu

Post by Jeff Shyu »

i wouldn't want to go to a mall on friday either. brings up bad memories of trying to find parking at college. at least in college parking lots, you're dealing with other people equally annoyed and driving fast. on black friday, you get the women that come out once in a blue moon, that cruise the isles at 2mph, inspecting every spot as if the car in it is going to suddenly disappear, and a spot open up.
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Jeff Shyu

Post by Jeff Shyu »

wonder how many love taps small cars get on a shopping day like friday.
Tom Phillips
Club: No$
Car#: 185

Post by Tom Phillips »

1983 - Glendale Galleria - never got past the parking lot structure. Waiting for some imbecel waiting in the middle of the lane for somebody to load the car, the kids, get in, adjust everything to backout, so they could park . . . not just once but behind 3 or 4 of these boneheads. I went postal. I drove me, the wife and kids home 5 blocks, I got out of the car and haven't been Xmas shopping since!
When a few of the club stores were open all night, Kathy and my daughter would go "Vampire Shopping" - leave at midnight, get home at 5 or 6 AM. . . no lines, no screaming kiddys, no running a roadcourse with the cart from all the stuff left on the floors.
Of course the trade off is I get to help wrap and do the house decorations. . . . works for me!
Ashley Armstrong
Car#: 814

Post by Ashley Armstrong »

Ughhhh I loathe the mall. And crowds. And waiting in lines.

(And I hate holidays! Bah humbug!)
Ash "Cupcakes"
2008 bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit-eating champion