Curt Luther
Club: PSCC
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Re: First Job

Post by Curt Luther »

Damon Tolentino wrote:
Curt Luther wrote:
Ashley Armstrong wrote:I've been craving a good hot dog for like 8 months. What's a good place to get one?
Pinks in LA, or if you like chili dogs, there's always Tommy's. Closest Tommy's to Redlands is probably Corona.
there is also a tommy's off of the 15, just south of the 91. there is an in-n-out right across the street from it.
That's the Corona one I'm talking about.
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
Damon Tolentino
Club: TCC
Car#: 260

Post by Damon Tolentino »

ah, gotcha. didn't remember the name of the town it was in. ;)
Damon™
1993 Ford Probe GT - STS - #260
Crew Chief for ITB #86 - 1990 Ford Probe GL - driven by Stacey Bertran
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Tom Tanquary wrote:...Since 10, I have never not had a job....
'Til now. Doh!
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
John Coffey
Car#: 250

Post by John Coffey »

Shop boy at a garage in downtown Anaheim repairing Young's Market trucks and building drag boats. Rode my skateboard to the bus, took the bus to Euclid and Broadway and then skated over to Anaheim Blvd. Right across the street from the shop was the Nob Hill Hotel where they charged by the 1/2 hour and there were a lot of scantily clad women hanging out in front. It was quite an education for a 14 year old kid even if I never saw the inside of that hotel. Learned a lot about automotive and truck repair too.
Don Salyers
Club: No$
Car#: 42

Post by Don Salyers »

Curt Luther wrote:
Don Salyers wrote:
Curt Luther wrote:We go on a walk last night, 3 miles overall, with a stop in the middle for ice cream at Rite Aid. That was my first job, scooping ice cream for Thrifty back in 1986. ...
Thrifty Drug scooping and sweeping, put me through college. It was so long ago I can't remember what the pay was, but gas was around 4 gallons for that buck, of course a pound of hamburger was the same price. In fact, I think everything was about the same price give or take quarter...

Don
I knew Don was cool 8-)

Hey Don, did they have "The Scoop" back then? I wish I would have stolen one of those. I actually worked for Thrifty for 9 1/2" years, through college and a few years after in management. In those years, retail management really went in the toilet, at least for larger chains. That's why I used the term "manager" above.
I don't remember the "scoop", I do remember digging and having ice cream up to my shoulders when I went home. Management was great, 1 of the asst. managers couldn't "do the math". I could and he allowed me to do all the math and he did the sweeping and toilet bowls.... I thnk the store was #186 in downtown Eugene, Or....

Don
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Damon Tolentino wrote:
Curt Luther wrote:
Ashley Armstrong wrote:I've been craving a good hot dog for like 8 months. What's a good place to get one?
Pinks in LA, or if you like chili dogs, there's always Tommy's. Closest Tommy's to Redlands is probably Corona.
there is also a tommy's off of the 15, just south of the 91. there is an in-n-out right across the street from it.
That's Corona.

Pinks is good and if you're already in LA for something it's worth the trip. There are a couple of Chicago-style places, with Vienna hotdogs. A Chicago dog has mustard, catsup, and relish.
Ashley Armstrong
Club: CASOC
Car#: 814

Post by Ashley Armstrong »

Mmm, so hungry now. Makes me wish work'd send me to LA instead of Tucson. I could do the hot dog tour!

There's a place in Boston called Spike's Junkyard Dogs that's just to die for. I'd also love an NYC street vendor dog about now.

It must be time to go home. I'm obsessing about food ;)
Ash "Cupcakes"
2008 bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit-eating champion
Tom Tanquary
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 705

Post by Tom Tanquary »

I've been craving a good hot dog for like 8 months. What's a good place to get one?
There's always a big fight about which is best, but they're all in LA anyway. I think Dodger Dogs are it. But surprisingly what keeps popping up on 'best of..' lists is Costco - they serve a pretty good dog. At least for the price you can't beat them. And they're everywhere.
[youtubeShortLink][/youtubeShortLink]"Our intelligence grew faster than our wisdom.... "
Tom Tanquary
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 705

Post by Tom Tanquary »

BK Hotdogs, 5118 S 12th Ave
Tucson, AZ 85706

Try a Sonoran Dog. And they still have Coke in a bottle. But you might need Cholo attire.
[youtubeShortLink][/youtubeShortLink]"Our intelligence grew faster than our wisdom.... "
Ashley Armstrong

Tom Tanquary wrote:I think Dodger Dogs are it.
Oh my goodness yes. Why didn't I think of baseball? Hot dogs AND beer with a straw... heaven!
Ash "Cupcakes"
Bob Beamesderfer

Anthony's Chicago Style Italian Beef & Sausage
615 W State St
Redlands

God, I haven't had an Italian beef sandwich in decades. Might have to make a special trip.
Last edited by Bob Beamesderfer on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashley Armstrong

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:Anthony's Chicago Style Italian Beef & Sausage
615 W State St
Redlands

God, I haven't had an Italian bee sandwich in decades. Might have to make a special trip.
Hm, I've never seen that place, and it's like 2 blocks from work! Maybe tomorrow for lunch!
Ash "Cupcakes"
Bob Beamesderfer

And I did mean Italian beeF not bee. I kin tipe good sumtimz. :roll:

Please go, eat and report back. :D
Ashley Armstrong

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:Please go, eat and report back. :D
Yes sir!
Ash "Cupcakes"
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Curt would probably LOVE the Deep Fried hot dogs that I saw on the Food Channel show Dives, Dumps and Drive-Ins (?) from some shack back in New Jersey. They DID look ... very interesting ... especially when the split open and virtually turned themselves inside out. :shock:
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

First Job ... probably Caddying at the local golf course. I vividly remember this dude chasing me with his club through the parking lot when I decided after 9 holes it wasn't worth it doing the last 9 holes! :D
Ashley Armstrong

Mako Koiwai wrote:Deep Fried hot dogs

Ew.
Ash "Cupcakes"
Ken Lord
Car#: 951

Post by Ken Lord »

Janitor and shoe shelve stocker at a family owned clothing department store. Got it the day I turned 16 for the grand wage of $0.65/hour. I quit about every 3 months and over the yrs worked myself up to a whole $1.10/hour.

A great job. Eventually sold shoes there. There are mirrow tricks to be learned by a 17 y/o :o
Ashley Armstrong

Shoes are awesome. :)

I have a date Friday night with the Italian beef place, ohyes.
Ash "Cupcakes"
Damon Tolentino
Club: TCC
Car#: 260

Post by Damon Tolentino »

my first job was way back when i was 18, in 1985. worked as a cashier at a drive-in theater swap meet. i'd occasionally work in the snack bar and on some evenings, work the theater itself. didn't pay much; i think minimum back then was something like $3.15 or so. i did get to eat free and get free admission to the drive-in when i wasn't working. also got free vouchers for other theaters in the chain. :)
Damon™
1993 Ford Probe GT - STS - #260
Crew Chief for ITB #86 - 1990 Ford Probe GL - driven by Stacey Bertran
John Williams

Post by John Williams »

Mako Koiwai wrote:First Job ... probably Caddying at the local golf course. I vividly remember this dude chasing me with his club through the parking lot when I decided after 9 holes it wasn't worth it doing the last 9 holes! :D
I did the caddying thing when I was like 12 years old. I would also dive in the green water pond for golf balls and sell em back to the old dudes for .50 ea. The pro shop guy hated me.Twin lakes golf cource in good old El Monte ca. Right at the 10 and 605 fwy. Not there anymore condos I think. Funny thing is I've never played a real game of golf.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Besides the gigolo thing, I was also hustling on the golf course since about the 8th grade. Amazing how the fancy dudes in their plaid polyester wouldn't imagine a chubby sunburned kid in jeans and tennies could break par.

I broke a lot of tax laws as a child. What is the statue of limitations on those???
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Besides the gigolo thing, I was also hustling on the golf course since about the 8th grade. Amazing how the fancy dudes in their plaid polyester wouldn't imagine a chubby sunburned kid in jeans and tennies could break par.

I broke a lot of tax laws as a child. What is the statue of limitations on those???
Going from memory here, but I think the collection is 3 years (add one year for CA) from the time the return was filed. Add three years for fraud. You did file the return, right? Got to start the statute for it to run....
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Bob Beamesderfer

KJ Christopher wrote:
Steve Ekstrand wrote:Besides the gigolo thing, I was also hustling on the golf course since about the 8th grade. Amazing how the fancy dudes in their plaid polyester wouldn't imagine a chubby sunburned kid in jeans and tennies could break par.

Going from memory here, but I think the collection is 3 years (add one year for CA) from the time the return was filed. Add three years for fraud. You did file the return, right? Got to start the statute for it to run....
I don't think it works that way. Statute starts running as soon as the inaction becomes a violation of law. So, I'm pretty sure Steve is safe. }:)
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
KJ Christopher wrote:

I don't think it works that way. Statute starts running as soon as the inaction becomes a violation of law. So, I'm pretty sure Steve is safe. }:)
Things get a little complicated here, because the statute is different for collections and refunds. There is a 10 year statute after an assessment has been made by the IRS. The IRS can make an assessment 3 years after the return has been filed, 6 years if gross income is under reported by 25% or more, or at any time if a false or fraudulent return has been filed. Lots of other rules come in play if listed transactions are involved. (Note that this is slightly different than what I posted above.) And, I should point out that: *****Any tax advice included in this written or electronic communication was not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the taxpayer, for the purpose of avoiding any penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer by any governmental taxing authority or agency*****
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins