Rules Clarification: When no class exists

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Rick Brown, Michael Palero

User avatar
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Posts: 1843
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:26 am
Club: CASOC
Car#: 17

Rules Clarification: When no class exists

Postby Christine Grice » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:26 pm

So in the process of calculating the year end points I have stumbled upon a rules question.

I was using rule 7.3.2 (a) to calculate a lady's score when she was the only one in the class.

7.3.2 WHEN NO CLASS EXISTS:
(a) Ladies class participants shall earn points by using the formula in 7.3 with 5% added to the lowest time of all drivers holding a current CSCC SOLO Points Card in the corresponding Open class, with a maximum of 100 points possible.
(b) Open class drivers shall earn their average if their class does not exist per 7.2.
(c) Ladies shall earn their average if their class and the corresponding Open class does not exist as per 7.2
(d) Prepared and Modified (Prep/Mod) may still be combined when a class does not exist as per 7.2, with times adjusted in accordance with the PAX index as listed in Appendix C.


A competitor has contacted me asking why they didn't get their average for an event (which would be much higher than what is calculated with 7.3.2a) citing rule 7.3.3

7.3.3 UNCOMPLETED CLASSES: Competitors in uncompleted Classes shall earn their average. When no Class exists or a competitor is not permitted to complete his/her runs, that driver shall earn his/her average.


So the question is: What is the purpose of rule 7.3.3, and which rule should be used to calculate a lady's points when she is the only one in her class?
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam

User avatar
Rick Brown
Club Representative
Posts: 4425
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:25 am
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240
Location: Lake Elsinore, CA

Re: Rules Clarification: When no class exists

Postby Rick Brown » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:29 pm

Christine Berry wrote:So in the process of calculating the year end points I have stumbled upon a rules question.

I was using rule 7.3.2 (a) to calculate a lady's score when she was the only one in the class.

7.3.2 WHEN NO CLASS EXISTS:
(a) Ladies class participants shall earn points by using the formula in 7.3 with 5% added to the lowest time of all drivers holding a current CSCC SOLO Points Card in the corresponding Open class, with a maximum of 100 points possible.
(b) Open class drivers shall earn their average if their class does not exist per 7.2.
(c) Ladies shall earn their average if their class and the corresponding Open class does not exist as per 7.2
(d) Prepared and Modified (Prep/Mod) may still be combined when a class does not exist as per 7.2, with times adjusted in accordance with the PAX index as listed in Appendix C.


A competitor has contacted me asking why they didn't get their average for an event (which would be much higher than what is calculated with 7.3.2a) citing rule 7.3.3

7.3.3 UNCOMPLETED CLASSES: Competitors in uncompleted Classes shall earn their average. When no Class exists or a competitor is not permitted to complete his/her runs, that driver shall earn his/her average.


So the question is: What is the purpose of rule 7.3.3, and which rule should be used to calculate a lady's points when she is the only one in her class?

7.3.3 is supposed to be for when a class is interrupted due to weather or other cause. The "When no Class exists" part shouldn't be in there.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...

User avatar
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Posts: 7238
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:26 am
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15
Location: This space left intentionally blank
Contact:

Re: Rules Clarification: When no class exists

Postby Steve Ekstrand » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:30 pm

The wording is clearly unclear... If not outright wrong.

Every thing works until 7.3.3 says something about No class exists. That shoud be clarified to when no Open class exists.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600

User avatar
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Posts: 1843
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:26 am
Club: CASOC
Car#: 17

Re: Rules Clarification: When no class exists

Postby Christine Grice » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:47 pm

So it sounds like 7.3.3 should actually read:

7.3.3 UNCOMPLETED CLASSES: Competitors in uncompleted Classes shall earn their average.


(while we are fixing the supp regs, can we fix the SK rules to reference the current SCCA rulebook instead of the 2003 rulebook?)
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam

Giovanni Jaramillo
Posts: 2761
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:25 am
Club: PSCC

Re: Rules Clarification: When no class exists

Postby Giovanni Jaramillo » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:43 pm

Christine Berry wrote:can we fix ?

Just create a new thread with your proposed changes for the 2009 Supp Regs in this forum and the rules chairman (Curt Luther) will incorporate them.

Giovanni Jaramillo
Posts: 2761
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:25 am
Club: PSCC

Re: Rules Clarification: When no class exists

Postby Giovanni Jaramillo » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:44 pm

Also talk to Craig Naylor as he really wants to trim the fat off of the supp regs (i.e. too wordy, redundancy of info, wrong info).

User avatar
Curt Luther
Posts: 1070
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:27 am
Club: PSCC
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear
Contact:

Re: Rules Clarification: When no class exists

Postby Curt Luther » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:19 pm

Christine Berry wrote:(while we are fixing the supp regs, can we fix the SK rules to reference the current SCCA rulebook instead of the 2003 rulebook?)

Damn. Missed one. There were some dating back to the 1999 rulebook...
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.

User avatar
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Posts: 1843
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:26 am
Club: CASOC
Car#: 17

Re: Rules Clarification: When no class exists

Postby Christine Grice » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:27 am

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:
Christine Berry wrote:can we fix ?

Just create a new thread with your proposed changes for the 2009 Supp Regs in this forum and the rules chairman (Curt Luther) will incorporate them.

Why use the extra space and clutter up the message board? Its just a little thing, and I got my point across to Curt :thumbup:
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam

Giovanni Jaramillo
Posts: 2761
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:25 am
Club: PSCC

Re: Rules Clarification: When no class exists

Postby Giovanni Jaramillo » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:49 am

Christine Berry wrote:
Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:
Christine Berry wrote:can we fix ?

Just create a new thread with your proposed changes for the 2009 Supp Regs in this forum and the rules chairman (Curt Luther) will incorporate them.

Why use the extra space and clutter up the message board? Its just a little thing, and I got my point across to Curt :thumbup:

True, just easier to see as a separate thread, assuming you had more changes to make. Glad we're fixing the supp regs just in time for 2009.


Return to “Public Rules Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anthony Porta, Will Kalman and 1 guest