New for 2009 DMV Vehicle code laws/rules/fines?

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Bob Pl
Club: GRA
Car#: 26

New for 2009 DMV Vehicle code laws/rules/fines?

Post by Bob Pl »

I'm sure this will be briefly covered on the nightly news or if you still get one, newspaper, but this might be a good place list the major ones.

No texting while driving (kinda makes sense) & something about where you are "allowed" to stick a navigator on the windshield.

Any others? Thanks.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Re: New for 2009 DMV Vehicle code laws/rules/fines?

Post by Mako Koiwai »

You use to not be able to attach a GPS to the front windshield in CA. I paid extra for the "bean bag" mount for mine. Seemed silly and more dangerous to have the bean bag + GPS flying around the car during a sudden movement of the car. You may now mount it to a five inch square area in the lower left hand corner of the front windscreen or 7 inch areas on the lower right of the front window. You may still attach it to the top of the dashboard if it doesn't interfere with your view of the road.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

From Westway magazine ...

The State is adding a $35 surcharge on traffic tickets, $15 on fix-it tickets, $3 on parking tickets and the court cost of Traffic School by $25 ... to help pay for construction and rehab of courthouses.

$11 increase in auto registration took effect Dec. 1st.

The Legislature is considering raising the vehicle license fee.

The State will start charging a Use Tax (equivalent of a sales tax) on out-of-state vehicles being brought into CA.
Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Mako Koiwai wrote:You may now mount it to a five inch square area in the lower left hand corner of the front windscreen or 7 inch areas on the lower right of the front window.
Typical one-size fits all, no-common sense rule making. :lol: I'd much rather have the nav device up next to the rearview mirror where it's close to one of the places I regularly scan. I don't spend any time looking out the bottom of the windshield when the car's moving.
Bob Pl

Post by Bob Pl »

Here it is from dmv, you have been warned.

:)

Following is an abbreviated summary of the new laws that will take effect Jan. 1, 2009, unless indicated otherwise. A more comprehensive list appears on the DMV Web site at http://www.dmv.ca.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

1) CONSUMER PROTECTION

*Unlicensed Car Dealers (AB 2042/Fuentes) This new law allows law enforcement officers to impound vehicles that are being sold by unlicensed dealers.

*Counterfeit Clean Air Stickers (SB 1720/Lowenthal) This new law will make it a crime to forge, counterfeit, or falsify a Clean Air Sticker. These stickers are currently issued by DMV to certain low emission vehicles and permit vehicles with these stickers to be driven in the HOV lane.

2) TRAFFIC SAFETY

*Text Messaging (SB 28/Simitian) This new law makes it an infraction to write, send, or read text-based communication on an electronic wireless communication device, such as a cell phone, while driving.

*DUI Probation License Suspension (AB 1165 Maze) A change in the driving under the influence (DUI) law creates a new authority for DMV to administratively suspend the driver’s license for one year under a zero tolerance standard. The new law authorizes law enforcement to issue a notice of suspension and impound the vehicle of a person who is driving with a blood-alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.01 percent or greater while on court-ordered post-DUI probation.

3) AIR QUALITY

*Temporary Operating Permits (AB2241/Saldana) This law restricts DMV from issuing temporary operating permits to allow more time to obtain a smog certificate as part of the registration renewal process. Under the law, extensions will cost $50 and are only allowed if the vehicle has been tested at a smog station and failed. The extension can be for no more than 60 days from the date registration is due. The $50 fee will be waived for owners accepted into the Bureau of Automotive Repair Consumer Assistance Program (CAP).

*San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District Fee (AB 2522/Arambula) In an effort to fund programs to reduce vehicle emissions, vehicle owners who register their vehicles in San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Merced, Madera, Fresno, Kings, and Tulare Counties and Valley portions of Kern County will be assessed an air quality fee of $6.

4) OTHER

*New Special Interest Plate (SB 1455/Cogdill) A new “Gold Star Family” special interest license will be available to family members of individuals killed in the line of duty while serving in the Armed Forces during wartime or military operations.

*Motorcycle Definition (AB 2272/Fuentes) This new law changes the definition of a motorcycle, deleting the existing weight limitation of 1500 pounds. It also removes a separate definition for electrically-powered vehicles. This change in law will also allow drivers of fully-enclosed 3-wheeled motor vehicles to use the High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes.

To easily access the California Vehicle Code for further information, log on to the DMV website at http://www.dmv.ca.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and click on the “Publications” button in the upper left hand corner of the home page. The DMV driver handbook is also on the web at the same location. The 2009 version of the handbook will be published for distribution to all 169 DMV field officers shortly after the first of the year.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

(ON SOAPBOX) I ignore as many traffic laws as I have to to be safe and still lead a reasonable life without feeling I must conform to everything the boneheads in Sacramento think is safe in their pee brains. Whenever operating a motor vehicle or airplane or bus, my first and only concern is for the safety of myself, the occupants in the vehicle with me, and of course the safety of those around me. Many of the traffic laws help in that regard, but too many are just government intrusions in our lives. I refuse to obey them. A good case in point is where to mount my GPS. I love it how the pee brains think they know better than I where the safest location for mounting the device is. What about sitting in the left hand turn lane when the light is red and no oncoming traffic. It's just plain idiotic. And stop signs. Do you realize we lead the world in the number of stop lights and stop signs? There everywhere. No other country comes close to the amount of regulation we have here in the name of so-called safety. I think our state legislature has way too much time on it's hands. They need to get a life. (OFF SOAPBOX)
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Since Pardo used "racing gas" to burn down that house in Covina... I'm sure Nunez will propose legislation to limit, regulate, or ban the public sale of "racing gas". You watch.... Its coming.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bob Pl

Post by Bob Pl »

If you were not probably right, that would be funny. Probably ban Santa Suits in the same bill.

:roll:

Side note, my wife, a college counselor who specializes in career planning is very knowledgable about job & career requirements. She noted, around the time of the elections, that the ONLY job on one of her lists with absolutely zero educational/license/training/IQ requirements is that of.....

yeah you guessed it, politician.

:thumbup:
Bob Beamesderfer

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Since Pardo used "racing gas" to burn down that house in Covina... I'm sure Nunez will propose legislation to limit, regulate, or ban the public sale of "racing gas". You watch.... Its coming.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. He could have sprayed just about any flammable liquid under pressure and started the fire, but that's fact that won't stop legislative nonsense. Maybe if he'd used kerosene he wouldn't have scorched his sorry self, but I for one wish he were still alive and living in agony.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

High octane is less likely to ignite and also lower in energy.
But some race fuels are oxygenated. I really wonder if this engineer picked a fuel he thought would burn better in his bizarre invention, or he was just your typical idiot.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

George Schilling
Club Representative

Mako Koiwai wrote:LA Times article on the new laws:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 9893.story
Many of these are so stupid and misconceived as to be laughable. Here are a few of my favorites along with my commentary:

Alternative fuel: Allows drivers who run their vehicles on restaurant kitchen grease to skip most of a $300 fee previously required of anyone who hauled used vegetable oil or other grease away from an eatery. Veggie-oil users will now have to pay $75 for a license. My take........Here's the case of someone trying to do his/her part to help the environment by getting rid of unwanted vegtable oil, but don't dare do it without a license. I wonder what the penalty is for those that don't comply? Will there be used vegetable oil police?

Drunk driving: Drivers on probation for DUI convictions face suspension of their license and towing of their vehicle if they drive on California highways with a blood or breath alcohol level of .01% or higher. My take.......This level is so low that it seems just kissing someone who has had a drink could set off the breathalyzer. Talk about being a social pariah.

Emergency calls: Increases penalties for people who knowingly use 911 emergency lines for calls other than emergencies. The penalty is a written warning on first offense, $50 on second, $100 on third. My take......I'd love to see the plan for enforcing this. What prosecutor in there right mind would attempt to prosecute such a thing?

Green jobs: Requires the state to develop a comprehensive approach to the needs of California's workforce associated with its budding "green" economy. My take......Another stupid and unnecessary state agency. Where's the money to fund such a thing going to come from? Why more taxes of course.

GPS devices: Allows a global positioning system device to be mounted on the windshield of a motor vehicle only in the 7-inch square in the lower corner farthest from the driver or in the 5-inch square in the lower corner nearest the driver. My take......Again, who is going to enforce a law this stupid? Imagine the difficulty of a driver who owns a Prius or Civic. How in the world will they even be able to reach the device?

Pets: Provides for enforcement of "pet trusts" set up by animal owners to pay for continuing care of their pets after the human owners die. My take......Do we really need a law for this?

Schools: Allows Los Angeles Unified School District and other districts to continue tapping state funds even as they withdraw from a program to fund multitrack, year-round schools. My take......Well the state is already broke, and since contracts are now meaningless in our country, why not let them continue to siphon money from a program which they are no longer entitled. After all, this is America.

Smoking: Allows the state director of the Department of Mental Health to prohibit the possession or use of tobacco products on the grounds of state mental hospitals. My take......Can't let a year go by without another anti-smoking law. Why that's just un-American.

Text messaging: The California Highway Patrol plans no grace period before enforcing the law that takes effect today prohibiting the use of text-messaging devices -- including cellphones, BlackBerrys and laptop computers -- while driving. A motorist does not have to be caught in a vehicle that is moving to get a ticket. Motorists may not text at a stoplight. They are still operating a vehicle and need to focus their attention on the safe operation of that vehicle. Fines are $20 for first offenses and $50 for subsequent violations. My take......Imagine the burden of proof to get a conviction. Prosecutor - "Your Honor, we have his phone records, the officer has testified as to the time of the infraction, and the times match up, this man was definitely texting while driving." Judge - "Alright them you bastard, you've been caught texting and for that we're going to throw the book at you. That'll be $20. You can pay on the way out."

Wave pools: Requires operators of wave pools at amusement parks to increase safety steps, including assignment of lifeguards, provision of life vests and restrictions on children shorter than 42 inches. My take.......This is good news. I was wondering at what height I could safely leave my granddaughter in a wave pool by herself without fear of her drowning. Thank you State of California.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Bob Beamesderfer

Much of it is layers on top of the existing onion.
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

George Schilling wrote:Text messaging: The California Highway Patrol plans no grace period before enforcing the law that takes effect today prohibiting the use of text-messaging devices -- including cellphones, BlackBerrys and laptop computers -- while driving. A motorist does not have to be caught in a vehicle that is moving to get a ticket. Motorists may not text at a stoplight. They are still operating a vehicle and need to focus their attention on the safe operation of that vehicle. Fines are $20 for first offenses and $50 for subsequent violations. My take......Imagine the burden of proof to get a conviction. Prosecutor - "Your Honor, we have his phone records, the officer has testified as to the time of the infraction, and the times match up, this man was definitely texting while driving." Judge - "Alright them you bastard, you've been caught texting and for that we're going to throw the book at you. That'll be $20. You can pay on the way out."
My phone is also a PDA. "Sorry, officer, I was checking my calendar. There's no set-a-calendar-reminder-while-driving-law is there?"
Will Kalman

Post by Will Kalman »

George Schilling wrote:Schools: Allows Los Angeles Unified School District and other districts to continue tapping state funds even as they withdraw from a program to fund multitrack, year-round schools. My take......Well the state is already broke, and since contracts are now meaningless in our country, why not let them continue to siphon money from a program which they are no longer entitled. After all, this is America.
Weren't multi-track year-round school years supposed to save money by utilizing the school facilities during their traditional 3-month vacant times?
Will Kalman

Post by Will Kalman »

George Schilling wrote:Drunk driving: Drivers on probation for DUI convictions face suspension of their license and towing of their vehicle if they drive on California highways with a blood or breath alcohol level of .01% or higher. My take.......This level is so low that it seems just kissing someone who has had a drink could set off the breathalyzer. Talk about being a social pariah.
I agree with this one. If you've had a DUI and now you're around drinkers (probably not a good place to be since you already have a demonstrated problem with alcohol and judgement) and you think that their *aura's* may register on a breathalyzer, get a ride. You've already blown it big time and deserve a ridiculous amount of scrutiny. In my book, drinking and driving is a real public hazard that directly affects the well-being of others. Unlike helmet laws where people should be allowed to be stupid because they can only hurt themselves.
George Schilling
Club Representative

More good news from the boneheads in Sacramento.

http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_11348326" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Might want to reconsider your plans if they included a refund of overpaid taxes to the State.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Will Kalman wrote: My phone is also a PDA. "Sorry, officer, I was checking my calendar. There's no set-a-calendar-reminder-while-driving-law is there?"

Officer: "okay Mr. Smartass attorney wannabe... I'll write you up for reckless driving instead."

:shock:
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
George Schilling
Club Representative

Steve Ekstrand wrote:
Will Kalman wrote: My phone is also a PDA. "Sorry, officer, I was checking my calendar. There's no set-a-calendar-reminder-while-driving-law is there?"

Officer: "okay Mr. Smartass attorney wannabe... I'll write you up for reckless driving instead."

:shock:
That's right. That's what makes these laws so stupid. :o
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Reckless driving is a rough charge. You wouldn't want to rely on that as the law to cover stupid behavior in the car. But there is a lesser, driving while distracted that could and should cover cellphone use, mascara, arguing with children, texting, eating, drinking, holding your little Hollywood dog, smoking, and any combination of the above.

I've seen the chic chic foo foo woman with the lap dog, smoking, and talking on the cell phone while trying to run my 1-ton Cummins Ram off the road with her Jaguar.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Toby Larsson
Former CSCC Overall Champion

Post by Toby Larsson »

George Schilling wrote:

Emergency calls: Increases penalties for people who knowingly use 911 emergency lines for calls other than emergencies. The penalty is a written warning on first offense, $50 on second, $100 on third. My take......I'd love to see the plan for enforcing this. What prosecutor in there right mind would attempt to prosecute such a thing?
I tink this lady might need a fine :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS9STtcaaPs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elitetint.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.osgiken.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bob Beamesderfer

Toby Larsson wrote:
George Schilling wrote:

I tink this lady might need a fine :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS9STtcaaPs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can't fix stupid.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Makes perfect sense. Get in the way of me and my properly prepared Double Double and you will experience pain and maybe death.
Fortunately, In and Out isn't as bone head as Burger King.... But isn't the Western BBQ burger a Carl's thing not a Burger King thing????

Guess you can't have it your way......

Edit.... I went to BK online. No Western BBQ Burger. But they do have a Steakhouse.
Between the person ordering and the person making the order did the IQ points add up to idiot?
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

That air quality one ($50 for temporary operator permit) got me today :(. Went to get my extension because I failed smog & couldn't get it because I didn't bring any cash since it used to be free - good thing it was at AAA and not DMV where I would have waited hours to find that out.

I'm actually considering just not getting the TOP - the ticket for expired tags has to be less than $50 & this isn't my daily driver yet.

I sooooo should have done it before New Year's. BLAST!
Bob Beamesderfer

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:I'm actually considering just not getting the TOP - the ticket for expired tags has to be less than $50 & this isn't my daily driver yet.
I wouldn't bet on it. Whatever the fine is, add on court costs. Could be more like $75-80.